mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Panaracer Fire XC Pro - The knock off version!

I've been looking at these at pricepoint.com, seem like a decent tire at a decent price. I know this is a slightly heavier knockoff version of this tire, but is it truely any worse than the original outside of a slight weight penalty? I'm not a race, not regularly at least, and I'm just looking for some good all around tires that won't break the bank.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Is the weight penalty make it a deal breaker? The blue sidewall would look sweet on my bike! (I know, dumb reason to buy it)

Appreciate your thoughts.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Taiwan version your speaking if has a lower thread count casing and more rubber on the sidewalls than the Japan version. This makes it less supple and heavier, BUT also makes the casing a bit more durable and resistant to cuts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I cannot say I have experience with this particular version of the Fire XC, but I have extensive riding experience on the higher tpi version. To answer your questions, I doubt there will be a significant downgrade in performance from the extra weight or less supple casing compared to the fancier Fire XC's. However, the deal breaker on these tires, for me, would be the fact that the current year is not 1999. The Fire XC was great when it came out, but compared to newer tires they're narrow, stiff, and slow.

Unless you're really trying to save money or need a narrow tire for V-brake clearance or something, I'd spend a little more and get something newer with more volume. If you're open to going tubeless that would be even better. Bigger tires run at lower pressure might be the biggest improvement mountain bikes have seen in the last 10 years or so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. I was talking to somebody at my LBS today and they shared your sentiment. They recommended a Kendal Slant Six up front and a Small Block 8 in the back, any feedback on that combo?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I can't speak to the Slant 6. In the short time I rode them the SB8 wasn't my favorite, even as a rear only, for a couple reasons. First is that I think they're too delicate. When I rode them it seemed like one got a sidewall tear from looking at it. Hence one vanished off the front and I had one on the rear only. The other thing is that I found it to be particularly bad for braking. If it started to skid it was GONE. This was a 2.1, run with tubes a something like 4 years ago. They may be very different tubeless or in a larger size. Then again the sidewalls may not be good enough for tubeless set up.

Based on the description of it I'd just try the Slant 6 front and rear.