I'm with stupid

Panaracer fire FR 2.4?

Anybody used them? if so what you think? there is only 3 or 4 reviews so i figured i would ask.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I run them on my Surly 1x1 (1x9) w/ 80mm air fork. 25psi rear and 20psi front. They seem to grab well and are high volume. They are closer to a 2.6" across the tread. I am planning on using these in the snow this winter.

I'm with stupid
    I was thinking they might be good winter tires. Plus they remind me of my moto tires I just hope they work well and hope to hear some more info.

Warrior's Society
    They are huge......way bigger than stated size.....not to heavy for their size.

They work pretty well, but because of their light weight, you will pinch flat if you run too low of pressure
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Slow. Unbelievable traction. I used a set in the Whistler bike park and some rugged BC-style xc (Thrill Me Kill Me and Comfortably Numb) and they were very confidence inspiring.

A bit firm on the rubber compound leaves them a little lower on the traction meter when the rocks and roots get wet.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I've used one in front at mammoth, so. cal., I like the large volume & the tread pattern, but as kosmo stated above , the rubber compound is kinda hard, so not the best hard pack trail tire.
    If it came in a sticky rubber compound I'd be all over them..
    Last edited by kneecap; 10-11-2010 at 09:05 PM.

I'm with stupid
    Thanks for the info. Slow as in like the nevegal or worse?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use one in the front, tubeless on a Mavic 717 rim at the MTB park and they are awesome.
    Iconoclast

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I used 1 on the rear 6years or so back, only the once, you have to DRAG the sucker around, makes the bike feel so slow it's unreal, and I've ran other 2.4 similar sized tyres without an issue.

WTB timberwolf 2.5 would make a better tyre, similar size and tread pattern.

Rubber Queen 2.4 or maybe the Rain king 2.5 would make a much better high volume, high traction tyre.

Possibly beat by the Schalbe Muddy Mary 2.5 volume wise, not tried this YET though.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    yeah, I like the 2.5 timberwolf, little taller knobs, about the same size as the fire, & softer rubber compound, works better overall for me.

I'm with stupid
    Well i went ahead and picked a set up, got a pretty good deal. Have not gotten a chance to ride them just get them mounted up and do a little side by side in my living room. Set them up against a popular tire the maxxis 2.5 minion DHF, (top pic) then up against the kenda nevegal 2.35 (second pic) then a how it fits in the back of my 2010 enduro (third pic) pretty close hopefully it wont pack up and stop me dead in my tracks. the test will come tomorrow afternoon, Doing a all day type ride. 14 miles up fireroad then 12 miles back down on single track, wood drops, rock rollers, steep rocky chunk and worst of all loose (decom granite/ scree fields) so im thinking i will get a feel of everything but wet and nasty cause i think there is still some snow at 11,000 feet where i will end up. So i shall report back on how things go.
    Minion 2.5

Nevergal 2.35

how it fits out back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    They are a beefy tire, I hope it works out for you. I am looking fwd for the snow to fly here so I can test them out in that. One thing I have noticed after riding them a few more times, the harder the surface the more they seem to drag. They fly though if it is somewhat loose.

I'm with stupid
    Ok well first long ride is over with. First off the bat this tire grips in the loose stuff but before we get to that we will start off on the climb, 14 mile fireroad up to where i go down. This is very manageable as long as you know that you will not be a super hero, they do not the greatest of any tire i have used around nevegal but bigger and more knobs. They had plenty of climbing traction for the small amount of tech stuff i did. One thing i noticed was the weight. mine came out at 940 grams and 980 grams for folding bead. they were labeled at 860 so it was a bit over but can complain to much they are beefy tires. So slinging around over 5 lbs of rubber you can feel in your legs trying to keep momentum up. Also these tires started off very stiff, not much give but seemed to break in some. I kept dropping the pressure to try to give the tire a little more give and less deflection. When it was all said and done i was at 25 psi rear and 22 front WITH tubes, but no pinch flatting. Coming down. Wow these things inspire you to go faster and just have fun riding fast in the loose stuff, pop right out of ruts braked very well and once we got the deflection thing taken care of was smooth over the rocky stuff. They stuck to wood and rock surprisingly well for what they are. Bottom line is if you are in the loose stuff and dont mind pushing a slower tire with some extra weight then there is a bid reward on the way down. I took a very short video just for the fun of adding it to this review.