Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Mud Stud

Painting bike rims/wheelset, how to?

Ok here is my question. Simple in concept, complex in execution. I want to paint my mavic crossride wheelset. They are good, 2009 or something, kept in good order, but they are silver and I run disks, and honestly they just don't go with the rest of the bike. I want them to be either black or red anodized/metallic red. The thing is I don't want to have to replace a good wheelset for a similar one just based on color preferences, and I cant find good information on how to paint rims. What primer, paint and clearcote are usually used? Can they be found in spray cans at places like lowes or home depot? Right now I only plan on painting the rims but if the entire wheelset can be done then I may go for it. Any help will be much appreciated!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011

The Mud Stud
    How about this. Or would it scratch and fade too easily?
    Dupli-Color :: Metal Specks

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i don't know. maybe try googling it to see if it pops up in some other forum, and see how people's experiences were.

The Mud Stud
    Well honestly the black will work just fine, so long as you are sure that will work well. Obviously I would have to apply it correctly too. Do I need to use their primer or clearcoat with that to make it work?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    haven't used the wheel paint either! google up a car forum and see what they say about it.

~Disc~Golf~
    Just paint it like you'd paint anything else of the same material - it's just a wheel.
    you're all over-thinking it with 'wheel' paint and car forums
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Huckin' trails
    I used the Dupli color wheel paint in graphite gray and the clear one, which is the clear coat version.

I've tested it around a few parts and last one I did was a pair of v-brake. I sandblasted them, then clean with soap and water, then alcohol. Then spray 2 coats of the gray paint and one of the clear. Then I like to heat up the clear till it starts to melt back with a heat gun to set the paint, but it's not mandatory. Result is great and the only damages are from hammering a near by part with a big cutting plier, so accuracy wasn't there

It's been trough winter riding since a few months and no problem.

I'd suggest to have the rims anodized however for the most and perfect durable finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Painting bike rims/wheelset, how to?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330145763.938527.jpg  

Painting bike rims/wheelset, how to?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330145795.835675.jpg  

Painting bike rims/wheelset, how to?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330145940.907420.jpg  

Painting bike rims/wheelset, how to?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330146033.858595.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ what a dork - you have a reflector

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    ^^^ what a dork - you have a reflector
    Don't forget my mountain is right in downtown, so I gotta stay legit for the commutes
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    See ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Painting bike rims/wheelset, how to?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330149410.210698.jpg  

mtbr member
    Real clear coat is kind of a chemical bonding process, using a pretty elastic urethane clear. Almost all rattle can clears are very brittle, and dont chemically bond with the base coat or anything. They tend to peel quicker than a single stage rattle can paint, and arent as durable.

Painting is all about prep. Get it sanded well, completely degreased, and lay thin, even coats.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Don't forget my mountain is right in downtown, so I gotta stay legit for the commutes
    just givnin' ya crap, but since you mentioned it - to be 'legit' is to have LIGHTS

The Mud Stud
    Just paint it like you'd paint anything else of the same material - it's just a wheel.
    you're all over-thinking it with 'wheel' paint and car forums
    And what would I use to paint such material? I have little experience in these areas. Wouldn't having it anodized require taking the rim off the wheel to have it heat treated? I don't want to go that far since the riding season is about to start, and I assume doing it to the whole wheel without taking out the seals and plastic parts would result in damage, plus paint bonding. I just need a simple, elegant solution to make the rims more attractive.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
    And what would I use to paint such material? I have little experience in these areas. Wouldn't having it anodized require taking the rim off the wheel to have it heat treated? I don't want to go that far since the riding season is about to start, and I assume doing it to the whole wheel without taking out the seals and plastic parts would result in damage, plus paint bonding. I just need a simple, elegant solution to make the rims more attractive.
    Dood, really?
    You were planning on painting the RIM as a wheel (spokes included)?

The Mud Stud
    I've heard of it done. But no, I will be painting the rim only and masking the spokes and everything else. I just figured to have it anodized the rim would have to be removed.

~Disc~Golf~
    I've heard of it done. But no, I will be painting the rim only and masking the spokes and everything else. I just figured to have it anodized the rim would have to be removed.
    well, expect substandard results, or do A LOT of work (more than rebuilding a wheel IMO)

-just sayin'

The Mud Stud
    Why would anyone ever sell a wheelset in silver anyway. Damned annoying, now I have to fix Mavics product graphics design error. lol

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    you're all over-thinking it
    It's winter. That's what we do.

Huckin' trails
    just givnin' ya crap, but since you mentioned it - to be 'legit' is to have LIGHTS
    I'm so bright already that legit is my moto
    Last edited by David C; 02-25-2012 at 08:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

for op-

Why not just get a color wheelset? Bicycle Wheel Warehouse has a set of closeout wheels for $109.(red color) They advertise at the top of the page you are now on.
    Black Spokes too. ^^^
    Take a look...
    Go in & look under closeouts.(clearance wheels)
    I got 2 sets for my wife's bikes. if they hold up, I might keep one for myself. ...
    Last edited by zarr; 02-25-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

The Mud Stud
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Why not just get a color wheelset? Bicycle Wheel Warehouse has a set of closeout wheels for $109.(red color) They advertise at the top of the page you are now on.
    Black Spokes too. ^^^
    Take a look...
    Go in & look under closeouts.(clearance wheels)
    I got 2 sets for my wife's bikes. if they hold up, I might keep one for myself. ...
    I just blew $390 for a new reba on the bike, and honestly, I'm using a set of mavic crossride's. They aren't the best, but they are pretty good wheels. I don't think I could get a better wheelset for about that price could I?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just blew $390 for a new reba on the bike, and honestly, I'm using a set of mavic crossride's. They aren't the best, but they are pretty good wheels. I don't think I could get a better wheelset for about that price could I?
    Did you read the two reviews if you looked at the red wheelset @ BWW ?
    The guy mentioned the Mavic Crossrides there.Since you already have them,buying another wheelset would mean...you have 2 wheelsets.all I was trying to say was if it's gonna cost you too much to modify the Crossrides,you might want to look at the BWW red set.i had 2 sets of Crossrides before I got the BWW sets,but returned them because they did seem a bit too light to me.If they suit your style of riding,keep them.But if you spend a lot to paint them, maybe try the red set instead. (about $60 a wheel or so).
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    It's winter. That's what we do.
    It's winter?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Did you read the two reviews if you looked at the red wheelset @ BWW ?
    The guy mentioned the Mavic Crossrides there.Since you already have them,buying another wheelset would mean...you have 2 wheelsets.all I was trying to say was if it's gonna cost you too much to modify the Crossrides,you might want to look at the BWW red set.i had 2 sets of Crossrides before I got the BWW sets,but returned them because they did seem a bit too light to me.If they suit your style of riding,keep them.But if you spend a lot to paint them, maybe try the red set instead. (about $60 a wheel or so).

BWW is awesome - tell Chris that Chris sent ya!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast