Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    empty beer member

Pacenti TL28*29er

Just received these to replace the 355s on my Industry 9 Ultralites. Ordered them on Thursday and they were on my porch the following Tuesday. I should have them laced up and get a ride in on them this weekend.

I dream on two wheels
    Sweet!. I am going be ordering a couple pairs in the coming weeks. Please post a review once you get them laced up.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these rims.

Cheers,
    Mike

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Me too. These should be a massive hit if the durability is decent.

Former Bike Wrench
    The look awesome, I looking forward to seeing long term durability and ease of tubeless setup.

mtbr member
    Ordered a set of Pacenti TL28 with Hadley hubs 29er wheelset. Should get it in a few weeks. Hope the rims are at least as durable as the Arch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Couple rides on my front rim. Much stiffer than a crest, which is what I was looking for.

But I have crazy clicking from the joint sleeve of the rim moving around, like a mavic reflex from back in the day times five. I am going to drip some glue in there eventually to stick it down, I would advise this as a preventative measure when building up a wheel.

empty beer member
    Building the wheels up couldn't have been easier.

Mounting a Rocket Ron 2.25 up front went smoothly and probably could have used a floor pump. Mounting an Ikon 3C EXC (Non EXO) on the rear was a bit more difficult since the Ikon has very flexible sidewalls and beads. I had put a tube in it first and leave one bead in place so that I only had to get the one bead in place with air. I finally got it to pop in place to realize I mounted it backwards, duh. Since I had the Ikon off, I decided to try a Bontrager XDX TLR 2.1. The bonty aired right up, no problem. I reinstalled the Ikon and added sealant to get both wheels ready for this weekend. Neither tire lost any air overnight but they were both partially sealed from previous use. If the Ikon gives me issues I am going to have to find a new rear tire because I am sure its not the rim fault.

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider View Post
    Couple rides on my front rim. Much stiffer than a crest, which is what I was looking for.

But I have crazy clicking from the joint sleeve of the rim moving around, like a mavic reflex from back in the day times five. I am going to drip some glue in there eventually to stick it down, I would advise this as a preventative measure when building up a wheel.
    Is this normal? Bad? I don't think I have heard of this happening before.
    Whiskey

empty beer member
    1st ride update coming shortly, otw home from the trail.

Simonns,
    I had this problem with the stans 355s I replaced, drove me bonkers. I looked it up and it seems to have been common with earlier stans and the recommended fix was to drip some glue in at the rim seam to hold it. Its not structural, its just there to hold the 2 ends of the rim in place for welding.

I do not have any noises coming from my Pacenti's and I didn't do anything to mine. Time will tell but, I don't think it will be an issue.
    Last edited by WrecklessREX; 01-15-2012 at 04:16 PM.

empty beer member

This is my first review so bare with me and feel free to ask any questions.

I'm using these on a Scott Scale Elite (L) with a Reba RL and Shimano QR skewers.

I set these Pacenti's up tubeless with Stan's 25mm tape, just like I have with the Stan's and Sun Ringle wheels I have. I weigh 180lbs so, I set the front Rocket Ron at 24psi and the rear Ikon at 27psi and hit the trail, I will drop the pressures some on the next ride. My first impression was that the bike felt more lively and in contact with the ground. Rolling over roots and through ruts that ran along with the trail I didn't notice and flex or feel pushed off track, the wheels held their ground. On a few 1-2 foot drop off I hurdled off of the landings were secure even when it was a bit sideways. This is when I was expecting a burp or squirm from the tires but nothing of that nature happened.

High speed cornering, the wheels tracked right over any rocks or roots that were in my line and no deflection was noticed. I used to feel the rear wheel quiver coming out of fast turns but not anymore, not with these rims.

Overall, I am impressed and glad I bought these despite the lack of info and reviews. The 355s these replaced had hairline cracks around a few nipple holes that were hard to spot behind the rims stickers. The TL28 has eyelets so that isn't going to be an issue now. I added 70 grams total to my Industry 9 Ultralite wheelset and it was worth every bit of it. The added stiffness and width nullify the weight that was added by a long shot. I guess they are not technically Ultralites any longer but they are stout everything I wanted in a wheelset.

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by WrecklessREX View Post

I'm using these on a Scott Scale Elite (L) with a Reba RL and Shimano QR skewers.

I set these Pacenti's up tubeless with Stan's 25mm tape, just like I have with the Stan's and Sun Ringle wheels I have. I weigh 180lbs so, I set the front Rocket Ron at 24psi and the rear Ikon at 27psi and hit the trail, I will drop the pressures some on the next ride. My first impression was that the bike felt more lively and in contact with the ground. Rolling over roots and through ruts that ran along with the trail I didn't notice and flex or feel pushed off track, the wheels held their ground. On a few 1-2 foot drop off I hurdled off of the landings were secure even when it was a bit sideways. This is when I was expecting a burp or squirm from the tires but nothing of that nature happened.

High speed cornering, the wheels tracked right over any rocks or roots that were in my line and no deflection was noticed. I used to feel the rear wheel quiver coming out of fast turns but not anymore, not with these rims.

Overall, I am impressed and glad I bought these despite the lack of info and reviews. The 355s these replaced had hairline cracks around a few nipple holes that were hard to spot behind the rims stickers. The TL28 has eyelets so that isn't going to be an issue now. I added 70 grams total to my Industry 9 Ultralite wheelset and it was worth every bit of it. The added stiffness and width nullify the weight that was added by a long shot. I guess they are not technically Ultralites any longer but they are stout everything I wanted in a wheelset.

Great review, thanks for that!
    Whiskey

650b me
    Yes, thanks for the review. I'm considering these in the 650b size vs Stan's Crest rims. I like the fact that they have eyelets. Anyone know the recommended spoke tension?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Kirk recommended a tension of 100kgf for the 26" rim. I don't know if it would be the same for the bigger hoops though

Got A Lust for Life...
    That seems low?
    I am immune to your disdain.

Got A Lust for Life...

Thank you for the great review. I have an I9 Enduro wheelset being built with these rims. They should be here in a few weeks. Just curious about the spoke tension you used. What is it at with the I9 aluminum spokes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That's what I thought also, but he confirmed the numbers. I was going to lace them at a higher tension, but he recommended against it. I have not built them yet though...been too busy.

empty beer member
    indyfab25,

100kgf is right on with I9s build up and retensioning instructions.

INDUSTRY NINE : : : - manuals

I put another great ride in on my wheels. Its nice to not have to baby my wheels any more. I used to blame the 9mm QR for being flexy but, all that is gone with the new rims and they are the only change I made. I got on the scale yesterday and I weigh 190lbs even, in my PJs. I guess I have been in denial since the holidays.

Got A Lust for Life...
    indyfab25,

100kgf is right on with I9s build up and retensioning instructions.

INDUSTRY NINE : : : - manuals

I put another great ride in on my wheels. Its nice to not have to baby my wheels any more. I used to blame the 9mm QR for being flexy but, all that is gone with the new rims and they are the only change I made. I got on the scale yesterday and I weigh 190lbs even, in my PJs. I guess I have been in denial since the holidays.
    I9s spokes are round aluminum 2.54mm correct? According the Park conversion table that equates to a reading of 18 on the Park tensiometer. I9s recommendation would be off the chart for that spoke. I am probably missing something here and very confused. Just trying to noodle through it...
    I just read the I9 manual again...seems their spokes are very unique.

empty beer member
    I9 has different spokes for the different wheelsets but each listed with the park tension meters reading.

It is 27-28 on the park tension meter. I'm not a pro wheelbuilder at all but it was fairly easy following the I9s manuals.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Gotcha. Thanks!

offroader
    Dec 2008
    What material does the rim use? If it's anything like the Velocity P35's then I think it would be too soft for my tastes.

Got A Lust for Life...
    They are made by Sun if I am not mistaken. They should not be like Velocity rims.

mtbr member
    It is 27-28 on the park tension meter.
    That sounds about right, not low by any means. I've got an I9 Enduro/355 29" wheelset and that's as high as I go on the tension. I take it the TL28 has the same ERD as the 355 so it was an easy swap?

That extra 4mm inner rim width must really make a difference- the 2.25 Rocket Rons look nice and plump in the pics!
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

empty beer member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e View Post
    That sounds about right, not low by any means. I've got an I9 Enduro/355 29" wheelset and that's as high as I go on the tension. I take it the TL28 has the same ERD as the 355 so it was an easy swap?

That extra 4mm inner rim width must really make a difference- the 2.25 Rocket Rons look nice and plump in the pics!
    Same ERD as the 355, 604mm. I don't think it could've been easier! On spoke removal of the 355s I had to work a few spokes back and forth to break them loose to keep from twisting them to much. I also set each spoke down in the order they came out so that I could put them back in the same holes on the hub that they came out of. Probably an unnecessary step. Other than those two things I followed I9s lace up and build up manual which, I basicly had memorized by the time I ordered the rims.

The extra 4mm in width was the main reason I started looking at the Pacenti. Flow width and lighter that the arch! The extra comfort and traction is there for sure.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast