mtbr member

Pacenti CL25 29er wheelset Review

I wanted to post up a review of these wheels because I had trouble finding much info on them during my search for a new wheelset. Lots of info & reviews for the TL28 but not the CL25. I was looking for a fairly lightweight yet durable wheelset for my Orbea Alma 29er Hydro and had considered many options. I went with Pacenti as someone on this board recommended a handbuilt wheel over a manufactured wheel. Thank you whoever you are! I consider these a great value at $600. Just a little more than you would pay for a Stans Crest or Arch wheelset, and I believe much better quality. The Hope hubs alone are really nice, I was really impressed with how smooth the bearings feel. I was wrong to think the noise from the rear hub would bother me, it isn't annoying but does get the attention of hikers. I had considered the TL28 but my choice was made for me as they are currently out of stock. I was worried a little if the CL25 would be strong enough for our rocky southern CA trails, but after several rides now I have not seen any dings or run-out in the rim. I am 180lbs and run 25-28 psi. I have about 150 miles on them now and they are holding up great. The wheels came in at 1740 grams before tape and valves. I used stans tape and American Classic valves and a set of Rocket Ron's. No problems setting the bead, but had the use of an air compressor. The 2.2 RRs have great volume, and I don't think I will miss the additional width of the TL. The guys at Bikelugs.com were very nice to deal with. Communication via email always quick to respond to my questions. a big thumbs up.

Previously, I was riding on some Sun Ringle Chargers with Specialized 2Bilss tires, My weight savings by switching to the new wheels, tires, and SICCC rotors was almost two pounds! Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the results and can feel the difference. old and new front wheel pictured below on the scale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pacenti CL25 29er wheelset Review-wheels1.jpg  

Pacenti CL25 29er wheelset Review-wheels2.jpg  

Pacenti CL25 29er wheelset Review-wheels3.jpg  

Pacenti CL25 29er wheelset Review-wheels4.jpg  

Pacenti CL25 29er wheelset Review-wheels5.jpg  

Pacenti CL25 29er wheelset Review-563621_4381094365515_812031811_n.jpg  

Last edited by CarlS; 04-06-2013 at 12:28 PM.

g3h6o3
    Thanks
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    I have just bought a pair of 29 wheels with CL25 rims on them. I plan to use some SuperStar Components yellow 21mm rim tape and their tubeless valves..Tires will be Ardent 2,4 EXO on front wheel and 2,25 on the rear ( normal tire not the LUST version)..I hope that all this will work well together, to build up my tubeless wheels

Chris Bling
    Crazy discs...
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Longer term review: been alomst a year now. These wheels are now on my new Niner Jet-9 alloy. Although I am considering a new wheelset purchase, they still get a thumbs up for their intended use. However, now that I have been abusing them, I have bent the rear twice in the last few months and I'm pretty sure I can feel them flexing when I'm trying to carve a hard turn. Jingleman, not sure if you want to go that wide on the front IMO. My 2.2 tires really buldge on these 19mm rims, can't imagine a 2.4. Hence, another reason why I'm thinking of trying a wider rim on the Niner. I plan on keeping the wheels stricktly for XC use and putting them back on the Orbea hardtail after I upgrade. Don't get me wrong, these are great wheels for the price. I have abused the crap out of mine, getting stupid off of little drops and jumps. and such the only reason they have been banged out of true. great for XC and lighter trail riding, but maybe little flexy for heavier riders or hard AM type riding.

mtbr member
    Hello CarIS,
    My bike will be a 29 rigid SS so not much abuse or speed like it would be for an AM build..
    Anyway I will put the 2.4 Ardent just for some air cushion on the front wheel, since I will have a steel rigid fork....No other real need for such a big tire.
    For what I know, the CL25 is 20mm internally so I guess ( and hope) I will but enough to keep the 2.4 tire in place....last year I had another rigid bike mounted with the same front tire on a 21mm internal rim. It was working real good. But I repeat myself, speed was limited and no AM use, and also Im always trying to avoid all the big rocks and such, since the rigid fork.

mtbr member
    yep, my bad. I see they are 20mm. And I must have really been foggy last night with my insomnia, as the front I have now is a nobby Nic 2.3. not sure how much difference 2 mm would make but I'm thinking of trying those hookless Roval Control carbon wheels with 22mm inside width

I'm sure you will be happy. I have been on a On-One full rigid SS steel bike with 2.4 up front and it was really super fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can always mix and match. Use the lighter CL25 on the rear, and the wider TL28 up front for that big phat tire.