Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels

    Oxive, a new-to-the-scene carbon rim manufacturer, contacted me and asked me to do a review of their wheels/rims. They appear to be a new Chinese carbon rim manufacturer with several different wheel-sizes and rim widths.

    https://www.oxivecarbon.com/

    I'm happy with my AM wheelset and my fat wheelsets, but I was thinking of building up a new XC wheelset this summer for racing. My current wheelset is built on Nexties that were DH and enduro raced for a few seasons starting in 2014, then re-built for a rigid bike, later a hardtail, then re-built a 3rd time for my Pivot 429SL. To be sure, I've beat these to hell and back and if they spontaneously exploded tomorrow, I wouldn't be disappointed. They aren't heavy with a DT240/XTR combo, but weight has come down a bit with some of the newer carbon rims. For this reason, I selected the 290g 29er XC racing rims. According to the site, these have a T700 and T800 layup. I asked for the rims, rather than complete wheels, since I prefer to build my own wheels.

    https://www.oxivecarbon.com/products...-free-shipping

    That is the correct link, however, if you look at the page, you'll see the correct rim is shown. I pointed this out, but I'm not sure they understood.

    At first, I wasn't quite sure if I was getting one or two rims. I felt that they were more than generous in supplying a rim and I've been traveling a lot and unable to respond to a lot of email or messages, but turned out it was two rims.

    The package arrived, everything seemed normal about delivery and delivery time. The lead-time seemed perfectly normal.

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5159.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5160.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5163.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5166.jpg

    The cut on the box was a little scary, but nothing inside was damaged. Impossible to tell where it came from, I had them shipped to my workplace and I wasn't there. Packaging was normal from what I've seen with carbon rims.

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5167.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5168s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5169s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5170s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5171s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5173s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5174s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5175s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5176s.jpg

    These are asymmetric rims. The finish and quality look great. Graphics are not stickers. Spoke holes look like they are painted/coated the same as the outside of the rim. Valve-hole looks to be drilled and not coated. No weird issues noted (no pieces of loose carbon, no delaminations, etc.).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  2. #2
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    So I got to building them. I used the DT Swiss and leonard spoke calculators. The DT Swiss one mainly to get the hub specs, and the leonard to double-check the offset calculation. The ERD appeared to work out fine. I forgot to snap a picture of the spokes from inside the rim, but again, ERD appeared to work out just fine. I used slightly longer nipples than normal for this build, due to using 28 spokes and the light-weight nature, so went with 14mm spokes. Sapim Laser 2.0/1.5/2.0 spokes. Front hub DT Swiss 240, rear hub DT Swiss 180.

    No issues building these up. They went together well. Was able to get them massively-OCD-true, just like any other carbon rim.

    After getting them laced and trued, I put place-holder tires on with tubes to set my rim-strip. The tyvek tape weighs all of 4g, haha! To date, I had just been using it for my fat-wheels, but it turns out that I can just use the full-width over the rim and then use an xacto knife to cut along the edges of the rim, which I think many people already know about. It's easy and relatively quick.

    I won't get to ride them until around next weekend or even later, due to work trips, and I'll need to get some lighter and heavier XC tires for this and for the other wheelset. This saves a pretty significant amount of rotating weight and non-rotating weight compared to my normal wheelset, so I'm looking forward to using it this XC race season. Most of the races are on fairly soft surfaces and around 1-2hrs or so. We do have some harder/rougher/longer races though, so I'll probably switch these out for some of the races where I'm more concerned about durability than short-term weight saving.

    Weights

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5179s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5180s.jpg

    Rear wheel

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5183s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5184s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5187s.jpg

    Front wheel

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5194s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5195s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5196s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5197s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5200s.jpg

    The rim-graphics should match my pivot pretty well

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5201.jpg
    Last edited by Jayem; 05-28-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BillT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    878
    Very nice! I have a set of their 35mm AM rims on the way that in going to build up and see how they do.

  4. #4
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT View Post
    Very nice! I have a set of their 35mm AM rims on the way that in going to build up and see how they do.
    Everything looked good with these. Got some more tires coming so I can have a "skinny light" setup and a "slightly fatter and heavier" setup on my other rims, I should feel more difference that way, but the spoke count and difference in width and overall weight should be interesting.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  5. #5
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    They are at least functional now. Still waiting on a different front rotor and the race tires I'm going to run. I'll probably get some riding on em next week. I think the next race is the week after.

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5231.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5230.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5229.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  6. #6
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    Finally got out and got some dirt on these wheels. I've been waiting for some Maxxis Icon and a Racing Ralph to show up so I can complete this as the weight-weenie wheelset and put the beefy Maxxis tires on my "old" wheelset for more endurance-focused stuff. Said what the hell though. I had been using heavy On-one tires to set the rim-tape and just left the rear on for this ride.

    Bike rode great with these wheels. No complaints. Lots of high speed cornering/banks on the trails where we'll have our XC races this summer. First race is next week, so I'm looking forward to rocking these wheels!

    The wheels maybe felt a tad softer than my other build, the other build being 30mm rims and 32 spokes, instead of the 28mm and 28 spokes here. That may have just been totally subjective and I was playing with suspension settings too a bit on the trail. In any case, they feel good, definitely stiff and feel good cornering. Spin up is as expected (excellent). Oxive appears to have done their homework with these rims.

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5254s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5255s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5256s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5257s.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5258s.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BillT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    878
    They look great! Mine just made it to the US yesterday and I expect I'll have them some time next week or the week after.

  8. #8
    itunes sucks
    Reputation: Deerhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,084
    Did you ever tubeless the maxxis/on-1 rubbers?

    Cm2.4"'s not the fastest rolling rear, but climbing traction isn't half bad..w/ a tube the tread starts to show "schwalbeness" all around the sides when pushed hard/fast and it seems like if tubeless, these would hold up a really long time
    video=youtube;][/video]...

  9. #9
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,269
    Great write-up... thanks!

    They seem to match the Light Bicycle RM29C06 more or less, but for $200 less per pair ($269 for the LB + shipping and PayPal fee = $601 in the cart). I know you've had experience on LB rims-- how do you think they compare?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  10. #10
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Did you ever tubeless the maxxis/on-1 rubbers?

    Cm2.4"'s not the fastest rolling rear, but climbing traction isn't half bad..w/ a tube the tread starts to show "schwalbeness" all around the sides when pushed hard/fast and it seems like if tubeless, these would hold up a really long time
    I must have tubeless-ed the On-ones at some point, maybe when I put 29 wheels on my fatbike. Don't recall any issues either. I say this because there is a definite bead of sealant on em. They do not have a "gummy" bead that traps air, but I believe enough sealant took care of that. They also seem to snap in to place on the rim shoulders pretty nicely. I was noticing that this morning as I took the rear off the Oxive rim. The last couple days I have kept looking at them (the tires) to see whether or not they say tubeless somewhere on em, the bead size/tightness seems just right, not too tight and not too loose. I went out and rode them today on a 46 mile ride on trails, but on my Nextie setup and with tubes. I'm waiting on some Icons to put on my Nexties and the Oxives will run the Racing Ralphs for racing. I keep the on-ones for temporary or emergency use. I didn't think the on-ones had quite as much cornering traction as I'm used to today, but they were not bad, and they are pretty tough (at 800+g, they better be). I even thought about trying to set them up tubeless right before this ride, but didn't want to get into any issues with not having them seal up and getting stuck on this particular trail, better just to wait for the Icons.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  11. #11
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Great write-up... thanks!

    They seem to match the Light Bicycle RM29C06 more or less, but for $200 less per pair ($269 for the LB + shipping and PayPal fee = $601 in the cart). I know you've had experience on LB rims-- how do you think they compare?
    I think that's the general idea, an alternative to the "fly-weight" rims. It's a T700 T800 mix according to Oxive, rather than just T800. Too early to tell long term, but they built up just as well as anything I've done recently, accurate specs. I went out and rode them at "race pace" yesterday. First race is next week. Not crazy rocky in these places, but very rooty. I tend to find the local races are pretty easy on rims for this reason ("soft" impact, even when it's "hard"). 290g kind of blows my mind, but quality and build seem solid so far. I've had good luck with Nextie and LB and these seem just as good in initial quality.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,427
    I think sub 300g is very ambitious, even for xc! Im hoping it holds up though, that would be awesome.

    I like the decals, they're good looking wheels.

  13. #13
    itunes sucks
    Reputation: Deerhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I must have tubeless-ed the On-ones at some point, maybe when I put 29 wheels on my fatbike. Don't recall any issues either. I say this because there is a definite bead of sealant on em. They do not have a "gummy" bead that traps air, but I believe enough sealant took care of that. They also seem to snap in to place on the rim shoulders pretty nicely. I was noticing that this morning as I took the rear off the Oxive rim. The last couple days I have kept looking at them (the tires) to see whether or not they say tubeless somewhere on em, the bead size/tightness seems just right, not too tight and not too loose. I went out and rode them today on a 46 mile ride on trails, but on my Nextie setup and with tubes. I'm waiting on some Icons to put on my Nexties and the Oxives will run the Racing Ralphs for racing. I keep the on-ones for temporary or emergency use. I didn't think the on-ones had quite as much cornering traction as I'm used to today, but they were not bad, and they are pretty tough (at 800+g, they better be). I even thought about trying to set them up tubeless right before this ride, but didn't want to get into any issues with not having them seal up and getting stuck on this particular trail, better just to wait for the Icons.
    Good to hear the bead fit like that (yeah on-1 CM is not tubeless)..rim width right under i28 is where I'm looking right now (420-450g)..and DAYUM,, impressive ride @50mi, I usually ease into the new..nice
    video=youtube;][/video]...

  14. #14
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Good to hear the bead fit like that (yeah on-1 CM is not tubeless)..rim width right under i28 is where I'm looking right now (420-450g)..and DAYUM,, impressive ride @50mi, I usually ease into the new..nice
    No, to be clear, I did not take my new wheelset with the 290g rims out on the 50 miles yesterday, where I rode hard through tech, popped off every little rock, occasionally landed on rocks where I didn't want to, I used my Nexties with the heavier-duty on-one tires. I'll switch those tires out to something just a bit lighter here and tubeless today, but that will remain my "trail" wheelset. I plan to use the Oxives for the shorter XC races. General riding and endurance racing will have me back on the Nexties, they are around 400g, 30mm wide, 32 hole. Light, but not Oxive-28mm light! I rode the Oxives the day before.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  15. #15
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    290g kind of blows my mind
    Thatís where Iím at.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,945
    These are 22mm inner according to the graphic. Nothing wider than 26mm in asym. So their variety is limited so far. Their 45mm inner 25mm high is only 27.5. 29" is 30mm high without any offset spoke hole drilling option.

  17. #17
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    These are 22mm inner according to the graphic. Nothing wider than 26mm in asym. So their variety is limited so far. Their 45mm inner 25mm high is only 27.5. 29" is 30mm high without any offset spoke hole drilling option.
    It's a super-light racing rim. As you get to a wider rim, I doubt there's any reason to go asymmetric.

    Anyway, got my first race on them last night. I can't say it was my best ever, it was one of my worst ever, I got an absolutely terrible start and I was popping out of my pedals, like having very-worn cleats. I've been using the shimano cleats with the xpedo pedals because up till now, they worked better with the shimano ones than the xpedo ones. I'm going to have to go back to the xpedo or just keep the shimano pedals on, which isn't a big deal. I think I was also suffering from the effects of the weekend gravel-grinder race, where I pulled an astounding 6th in the race. That by itself isn't very important to me, but the fact that I did it on a freaking fat-bike and the day after a 46 mile mountain bike ride made it one of those rare feats of athletic ability and I don't think I was anywhere near full recovery.

    The race course was a mix of nordic ski trails that have very steep ups and downs and grass, which means lots of rolling resistance, then flow trails, then very rooty bootleg/original trails that were put in by hikers long before the system trails were established. This gave a pretty good mix of terrain. There were several sections to air out over doubles and table-tops and some high-G turns to really push the wheels into the berm, etc. Some of the rooty stuff was on the downhill, and some was on the uphill.

    The wheels performed great. I didn't have the rear set up tubeless yet, but everything about the wheels performed great in the race. They were absolutely stiff enough for pushing hard at the expert XC level, no issues with confidence and boosting off of terrain. I really didn't think about them much, but they did feel a little more spritely while climbing and rolling than what I usually run. The setup saves some decent weight over my other XC wheelset.

    I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, I think this is a pretty purpose-built wheelset, but for the application it worked great and I'm anxious to do some more races on them and see how they hold up.

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5283.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5284.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5286.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BillT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    878
    I just laced up my 35mm rim from Oxive last night. I will try to finish it up and get a ride on it this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-wheel2.jpg  


  19. #19
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It's a super-light racing rim. As you get to a wider rim, I doubt there's any reason to go asymmetric.

    Anyway, got my first race on them last night. I can't say it was my best ever, it was one of my worst ever, I got an absolutely terrible start and I was popping out of my pedals, like having very-worn cleats. I've been using the shimano cleats with the xpedo pedals because up till now, they worked better with the shimano ones than the xpedo ones. I'm going to have to go back to the xpedo or just keep the shimano pedals on, which isn't a big deal. I think I was also suffering from the effects of the weekend gravel-grinder race, where I pulled an astounding 6th in the race. That by itself isn't very important to me, but the fact that I did it on a freaking fat-bike and the day after a 46 mile mountain bike ride made it one of those rare feats of athletic ability and I don't think I was anywhere near full recovery.
    Congrats on the result.
    Curious why you think balancing spoke tension left to right is not desirable on wide rims.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT View Post
    I just laced up my 35mm rim from Oxive last night. I will try to finish it up and get a ride on it this weekend.
    BillT, any trail reports? I just pulled the trigger on a rear rim this AM, very curious (and nervous). I got the AM version, but i'm about 210 lbs and ride rocky rooty stuff.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BillT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by omendelovitz View Post
    BillT, any trail reports? I just pulled the trigger on a rear rim this AM, very curious (and nervous). I got the AM version, but i'm about 210 lbs and ride rocky rooty stuff.
    I'm about the same weight as you and will have the first ride this Saturday so I'll let you know how it goes but in my driveway it feels very stiff and responsive. It built up pretty easily and tubeless setup was the easiest I've ever had - no tire levers, floor pump without breaking a sweat on a DHF 2.5. I'll be building up the rear in a week or so.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    4

    Specs Oxive Carbon Rim 29+
    45mm inner/50mm outer
    Driver SRAM XD
    6-Bolt
    15x110 Boost
    12x148 Boost Straightpull
    DT Swiss 240 56t
    Spoke Sapim CX

    I am going to test it next week

  23. #23
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,342
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Congrats on the result.
    Curious why you think balancing spoke tension left to right is not desirable on wide rims.
    He didn't say it wasn't desirable, just not a reason for it. A wider rim is more laterally stiff. I don't bother with asym on carbon rims unless there's no price difference, and then only for resale value.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,945
    Asym isn't just about rim stiffness. It's also about spoke tension variation drive to non-drive side. If you need to keep the non-drive side tension 85-95kpf in order to center the rim with the drive side at 110-120kpf the non-drive side could go slack when the tire and rim are under lateral pressure cornering through bumps. Similar to what you do to stress release the spokes during a build. At this loose point the spoke can vibrate enough to allow the nipple to rotate and loosen. A wide rim can have the spoke holes drilled off center by 3.5mm or so to help equilize spoke tension when built.

  25. #25
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    Quote Originally Posted by swifteam View Post

    Specs Oxive Carbon Rim 29+
    45mm inner/50mm outer
    Driver SRAM XD
    6-Bolt
    15x110 Boost
    12x148 Boost Straightpull
    DT Swiss 240 56t
    Spoke Sapim CX

    I am going to test it next week
    Nice! Looks like they will be a dream to ride.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    200
    Jayem, I might have an extra set of fork decals that would make the fork match the frame! They are yours if you want them.

    Devinci ships the Django with decals for the performance fork and Factory. I had a few builds where we only used the Performance decals...

    This is a pic of my Sis-in-law's bike where I installed the fork decals:

    Best Source for Ibis, Devinci, and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

  27. #27
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    Jayem, I might have an extra set of fork decals that would make the fork match the frame! They are yours if you want them.

    Devinci ships the Django with decals for the performance fork and Factory. I had a few builds where we only used the Performance decals...

    This is a pic of my Sis-in-law's bike where I installed the fork decals:

    I would be interested, I've looked in a lot of places and I can never find that color for the SC fork.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  28. #28
    beer is good
    Reputation: Nels's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by swifteam View Post

    Specs Oxive Carbon Rim 29+
    45mm inner/50mm outer
    Driver SRAM XD
    6-Bolt
    15x110 Boost
    12x148 Boost Straightpull
    DT Swiss 240 56t
    Spoke Sapim CX

    I am going to test it next week
    That rear doesn't look like straight pull to me...
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I would be interested, I've looked in a lot of places and I can never find that color for the SC fork.
    I don't have the SC version laying around.
    Best Source for Ibis, Devinci, and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

  30. #30
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    I don't have the SC version laying around.
    That's always the problem. I can find them for the non-SC, and I know they exist, because they come on Scott bikes, but I can never find them.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nels View Post
    That rear doesn't look like straight pull to me...
    lol j bend,make mistake ,just finish the build

  32. #32
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    Better results a few nights ago. Still have to get better, but got into top 10 and closer to where I was last season.

    Wheels did not disappoint. Held nice and true. Lots and lots of sloppy and slick roots out where there was much potential for slipping. It basically rained all day (and some the previous days), stopped just long enough for the race, then rained again. I definitely appreciate the precision and stiffness of the wheels in these kind of situations. Going to the "flyweight" type rims and 28 spokes, I was a little concerned about this, but racing them I've noted no bad traits in that respect, they still feel solid/stiff. Lots of fast descending over rough roots and terrain during this race. As compared to our other races that have a lot of painful ups and downs, this was more "going up" for a while, then descending for a while. Still with some ups and downs thrown in, but at least you got to look forward to a longer "mostly" descent and just had to hunker down for a "mostly" climb on each lap.

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-37009944_10155472204392665_4715171657696673792_o.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5424.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5425.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5426.jpg

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5428.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BillT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    878

    My review

    I wanted to add my review for the Oxive 35mm AM rims:

    Similar to Jayem's experience, my rims arrived relatively quickly and were packaged very well. I could not find fault with the finish and I did like that that the decals weren't just vinyl stickers. The wheels built up very easily and were very true radially and laterally right out of the box. I built them up with DT Swiss DB spokes, brass nipples, and Onyx racing hubs...I was really going for a sturdy wheelset that would give me minimal issues over its life rather than chasing some kind of gram total. I've had 3 rides on them so far and I'm totally sold. They built up very stiff and find them very precise on the trails especially through rocky sections. I'm probably going to order up another set for my Spitfire before the end of the year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-20180618_174508.jpg  

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-20180701_193121.jpg  

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-20180714_085904.jpg  

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-intenseoxive1.jpg  

    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-intenseoxive2.jpg  


  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2


    Iíve had one sets of rims from the Chinese company Oxive carbon,This review is of their 35mm (30 mm internal) wide 29er rim, which Iíve been on for the whole season, and those have seen almost 1,500 miles. I purchased wheelset with Hope Evo pro 4 dt spoke, both 32 hole. The rims came in as advertised at 450 grams each, and built up with the Hopes, tape, and stems, the pair came in at 1780 grams. Not light, but solid, and under $800 total.rims are made to order and take a few weeks to arrive at your door. While they will do a full wheel build, with lots of options,Iíve been pretty happy with them. Throwing $800 at an unknown and somewhat-maligned product is a risk, but one thatís worked out pretty wellÖ sort of.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT View Post
    I wanted to add my review for the Oxive 35mm AM rims:

    Similar to Jayem's experience, my rims arrived relatively quickly and were packaged very well. I could not find fault with the finish and I did like that that the decals weren't just vinyl stickers. The wheels built up very easily and were very true radially and laterally right out of the box. I built them up with DT Swiss DB spokes, brass nipples, and Onyx racing hubs...I was really going for a sturdy wheelset that would give me minimal issues over its life rather than chasing some kind of gram total. I've had 3 rides on them so far and I'm totally sold. They built up very stiff and find them very precise on the trails especially through rocky sections. I'm probably going to order up another set for my Spitfire before the end of the year.
    Hi, is that the 3K weave?

    How have the rims been holding up for everyone?

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BillT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    878
    That is the 3k weave and mine have been holding up fine but in the spirit of full disclosure, I have only 30 miles on them (weather has been terrible the last several weeks).

  37. #37
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    Yeah, holding up fine. Been riding the wheels for a few rides while I'm waiting for a centerlock-boost-adapter for my other wheelset. This weekend I have a 100 mile race and I'm going to run my slightly heavier Nextie wheelset for that race. Partially because I want the beefier tires on it for the 100 miler. I'm going for a bit more comfort on this one.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2
    Super happy with third on the weekend in the hardtail cat of the Scottish enduro series on my new oxive wheels


  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesharden View Post
    Super happy with third on the weekend in the hardtail cat of the Scottish enduro series on my new oxive wheels

    What rims and build components did you go for?


    Sent from my Phone when I should be building wheels

  40. #40
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yeah, holding up fine. Been riding the wheels for a few rides while I'm waiting for a centerlock-boost-adapter for my other wheelset. This weekend I have a 100 mile race and I'm going to run my slightly heavier Nextie wheelset for that race. Partially because I want the beefier tires on it for the 100 miler. I'm going for a bit more comfort on this one.
    Actually ended up running the front Oxive because I'm still waiting for a MRP centerlock boost adapter to make my other front wheel work. 100 mile race, no problem.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  41. #41
    itunes sucks
    Reputation: Deerhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,084

    Nice..

    This thread delivers
    video=youtube;][/video]...

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    870
    I'm thinking of going with Oxive's 33mm asymmetric 365g rim for the rear and their 35mm 345g 35mm front. I wish they had more wide asymmetric choices. Two sizes of 33mm or 28mm in asym is too limiting.

    Edit, got a reply from them. Apparently they have a 38/32mm outer/inner width asym 27.5 rim at 410g that is not on the website. I'm waiting on the details.
    Last edited by thesmokingman; 9 Hours Ago at 12:16 PM.

  43. #43
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,137
    Last points-series-race of the season on Wednesday. The wheelset has done great.



    Oxive Carbon Rims and Wheels-img_5533.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

Similar Threads

  1. My OXIVE Carbon enduro wheel build
    By iggs in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-08-2018, 02:19 PM
  2. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 09:24 AM
  3. Syncros XR.1 Carbon Wheels = Reynolds XC Carbon Wheels?
    By durkind in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2013, 04:47 PM
  4. rims rims rims
    By AmirBernard in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 02:30 PM

Members who have read this thread: 235

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.