mtbr member
    May 2010

Out of true or Bent?

I have a set of Roval Control wheels. The front wheel was out of true, I was unable to true the wheel on the stand. I actually cracked a nipple in the process. So now I am curious if i break down the wheel is there a way to check if there rim is bent?

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, just lay it on a flat surface and check to see if it's "sitting up" any place, no different than checking any other rim.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    better yet, lay it up against a built-up wheel that you know is true.

mtbr member
    If you have to turn a nipple so hard that it cracks and the rim still will not come in line then there is no need to break down the wheel to check if it is bent, because it is.

mtbr member
    oh man, I read the initial post wrong. I thought OP had already broken down the wheel.

Yes, as J.B. said, your rim is bent. Yes, the situation is probably unfixable, save a new rim. But a good way to check for a bend in the rim is to locate the out-of-true spot, then check the relative tensions of the spokes on either side of the wheel in the vicinity of the out-of-true section.

If the rim is merely out-of-true due to lowered spoke tension, the spokes on the side of the rim that deflects away from the feeler (be it brake shoe, or other) will be lower in tension, and the ones on the side deflected toward will be higher.

However, with a bent rim the situation is exactly opposite: the high tension spokes are under additional tension because the rim has been deflected away from where they would normally sit if the rim were true. Correspondingly, there is no way to fix a bent rim AND alleviate mismatched spoke tension by turning spoke nipples.

Bending the rim back towards true is the only real solution, save replacement, but it usually requires specialized tools to be done halfway decently. Hitting the rim against/with something might work, but it's like using a rope for a belt - effective, but kind of unsophisticated and more likely to just cause a mess than the proper tool. Belt users may also scoff at you.

bottom line - get a new rim

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks.