mtbr member

Opinions on Sram vs. Shimano rear MTB hubs

I can't find much online about Sram hubs..but they interest me a bit. I am going to be ordering either a Sram X9 or a Shimano XT rear hub this coming week and need to get all of the opinions that I can on them to make a good purchase The Sram is much lighter than the Shimano. Sram weighs 390g and Shimano weighs 495g. The Sram hub also has sealed cartridge bearings...but I've heard bad things about the Sram freehubs, and I've always been able to trust Shimano hubs. I just am not a fan of the weight or looseball hubs with Shimano...your opinions guys?

mtbr member
    What shimano hub are you looking at? The SLX is only 385g, and about 50 bucks.

The slx has a beefed up freehub, I havent heard of many people having issues with them. Loose ball is really pretty great once you get the adjustment down. The hub adjustment will last all season until you service it, or longer.

Former Bike Wrench
    Not sure what hub your looking at from Shimano...the XT FH-M785 weighs 330g for the rear hub. The old six bolt XT FH-M756 is quite a bit heavier at 435g.

The biggest advantage with Shimano is parts availability, especially on their older style cro-mo axle hubs (all current hubs SLX and lower plus the M756 hub). Most shops stock the bearings, cones, and freehub bodies for these hubs. The SLX hubs use a 32 poe freehub body that is also heavier duty for quick engagement and durability. The newer alloy axle XT and XTR hubs are harder to find parts for but are lighter and use an even quicker 36 poe freehub body. The SRAM hubs have cartridge bearings which are pretty much adjustment free (but NOT maintenance free) so some consider that an advantage. They are well priced for the quality of hub. The biggest knock for some is their rather low 15 poe freehub body.

mtbr member
    XT M756A

I need to have 6-bolt disc, not centerlock.

mtbr member
    I realize that is the older style, but I really like the 6-bolt. How well do the centerlock to 6-bolt adapters work?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I realize that is the older style, but I really like the 6-bolt. How well do the centerlock to 6-bolt adapters work?
    The adapters work well, though the good ones (DT and Shimano) are kind of expensive at $34 a wheel.
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano Centerloc Adapter
    But still the SLX M629 rear hub can be found for $38
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano FH-M629 Centerloc Rear Disc Hub
    and front for $26
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano HB-M629 Centerlock Front Disc Hub

So it's still a good deal.

mtbr member
    Advantages of SLX over XT? Just curious why you're pushing SLX

Former Bike Wrench
    Advantages of SLX over XT? Just curious why you're pushing SLX
    Cro-Mo Axles, Heavy Duty 32 poe freehub body, easy parts availability (cones, spacers, bearings).

The older M756 hubs have the first and third good points but the freehub body is weaker and only 18 poe. The new M785 hubs are lighter with alloy axles but you can only buy an entire axle kit versus individual parts and the freehub body is not as strong (but is 36 poe).

Fat-tired Roadie
    ^^^
    You're making me want to run out and buy some SLX hubs just to sit on my shelf until I'm ready to build my next wheels. Whenever that is.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I'll probably just go with SLX then, and get a problem solvers adapter or something similar for using a 6bolt rotor

mtbr member
    For SLX you're referring to the M665?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anyhow - if you get them, make sure you grease/adjust the cones right after purchase.

Some Shimano hubs come too loose from factory - and running cones loose will trash them in matter of few rides. Having adjusted them properly on start - you are good for a season, do this yearly, and you are good for years to come.

Former Bike Wrench
    For SLX you're referring to the M665?
    M665 or the "29er" M629...both use the same freehub body, axles and cones. As far as I can tell color is the main difference (and the M629 is currently priced cheaper).

M665

M629

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    nevermind.
    Last edited by irv_usc; 04-18-2012 at 12:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Went with the SLX for durability and parts availability. Also had to get a Problem Solvers adapter to stay with 6-bolt rotor. I did some more research and am very happy with my decision. Thanks for your help guys!

mtbr member
    Why not the SLX 529 with 6 bolts already?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Last time I checked, the SRAM hubs had something like 12 POE, which is a joke for mountain bike wheels.

I've been on Shimano cup and cone hubs for over a decade and they've always been reliable.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBikr View Post
    Why not the SLX 529 with 6 bolts already?
    16 poe vs 32 poe freehub body...though I have seen it available with the 32 poe body on some newer 2012 models.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    16 poe vs 32 poe freehub body...though I have seen it available with the 32 poe body on some newer 2012 models.
    Oh I see are they labeling the 2012 with the better freehub or just your experience?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBikr View Post
    Oh I see are they labeling the 2012 with the better freehub or just your experience?
    Yea, the older models were definitely not the 32 poe freehub, when I was looking at a new bike in 2011 one of the models I looked at came with the M529 and I checked the clicks. It was only 16 poe and I own a M665 so I know the difference in how they feel. If you can make sure your getting a 2012 and not some 2011 back stock, then the M529 would be a worthy contender.