mtbr member

Opinions on Karma 2.0 L3R Pro vs. Small Block 8 1.95?

Anyone tried both? I'm trying to choose between these two tires for mainly xc racing, and some xc/trail riding too. Conditions mostly hardpack, at times rooty, some sand. Almost no rocks at all.
    I've read about the SB8 hardpack performance, and it seems it's a bit faster, and lighter of the two. I'm not expecting great performance in mud, as they look like they would pack up, but I can live with that. What I am concerned with is wet roots. If they're bad for that as well, then I will skip them.
    Looking at Karma's wider spaced and way fewer knobs, I'm thinking they would be definitely better as far as very wet/mudd performance, but what about roots?
    Also, I'd be using either with Stan's sealant and UST rim. Any one tire much better for that than the other?

Any advice/imput would be greatly appreciated.

Arek

mdc
    mtbr member
    I ran the Kharma DTC's on my race bike and they were pretty bad. The cornering was so bad that I actually was faster racing the same course with Nevegals because i didn't have to slow down as much in the corners ( and Nevegals are in no way a racey tire). Currently I am running SB8 (2.3 I think) on my bike and they are much better cornering than the Kharmas and provide good grip on climbs. They do pack up pretty easy with mud, but the grip and fast rolling make up for poor mud performance. I would go with the Small Blocks in a second...O yeah and I ride and race in New England- loads of wet roots, rocks etc

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i concur.....the karma offers almost no grip around fast loose corners..to me it was almost unsafe. i have since switched to the small block 8 (2.1)..wow, what a differnce. not much weight penalty either. i love the sb8 and will liley buy another set when the ones have a wear out. just my .02

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!

Arek

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was looking for a replacement for my Karmas, and was considering the SB8, or maybe the conti explorer. The Karmas just don't impress me. The cornering is horrible, but then again, I am used to riding bigger tires.

Is the SM8 good for front and rear, or is their a better combo that would be grippy, and still roll well??