mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Old style I9 rear axle: Should it move an inch?

Not sure what is going on , bike has been creaking really really bad. I have narrowed it down to the back wheel. The part the screws into the drive side end of the axle was loose. I took the chance to pull the free hub out and check all the springs pawls and bearings and every thing seemed fine.

When putting it back together i tightened the drive side of the axle, but I can push the whole axle about an inch to the non drive side.

Is there a spacer that is supposed to be in between the drive side baring and the screw cap that holds the cassette on ? There is nothing in there.

I had the wheels at I9 in march while on vacation. They replaced the free hub with the updated version. Maybe they forgot to put it back in .

I will call them tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone can make sence of what I am trying to explain.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    definitely missing the spacer. How on earth I have managed to ride for a week in NC and 4 races + a 24hr race like this is beyond me. not to mention the training rides in between.

In I9's defence, I showed up while they were getting ready for a big show and they looked after me. It was a busy place.

Its weird I have had no shifting issues or brake rub. Seems odd to me. I have scoured the floor looking for a spaced in case it fell but I did no hear or see anything when I pulled it apart.....

It answered my question as to why the axle nut kept coming loose. Had nothing to load against.

mtbr member
    There is most definitely supposed to be a spacer between the DS end cap and the outer-most FH bearing. On a QR style rear wheel is the NDS adjustable dust cap missing? or the DS threaded end cap itself?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    DS threaded end cap is there. just nothing under it to stop the axle form moving side to side. Talked to I9 today and they are sending one out tomorrow for me! I am a customer for life. These guys are so good to deal with!

NDS dust cap is still there as well. I guess the axles are a tight fit and dont normally come out with a push of the hand. Mine has no play in it but is easy to push out now.

Hopefully all is well.