Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: NOX Composites?

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Does anybody have a long term review of these? And what is your intended use?
    I don't know if 4 months and a few hundred miles count, but here's a quick review:

I have the 29er rims with CK hubs (9mm front, 142 rear)--built from Nox directly. Long story short, I love the rims. They have been rock solid from day 1. They replaced the stock wheels, and what I've noticed the most were two things: Lower rotating weight has been helpful on long slogs of a climb, and in tight, twisty single track I've been able to carry more speed, and regain it when its lost. The other thing I've loved is the stiffness, especially up front: even though I'm using a 9mm hub, I really don't have any need to upgrade to a thru-axle. These wheels (to me) feel just as stiff, and track just as well any 15mm alum wheels I've used. On the OEM wheels, I was able to detect some 'softness' in the rear, but that's gone now.

The only thing I'd change if I could go back in time is replace the CK hubs with I9s... and that's only because the limitations of the King hubs if I ever want to go XX1. But as is, the Kings have been great as well. Love the sound, and the engagement.

Just for reference-- I have no other experience on carbon rims, but have spent time on I9s and AmClassics. Most of my riding is in the PNW--I'm an XC, wheels on the ground, but plow through anything kinda guy, and I'm 6'3", riding weight is 215ish pounds.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Has anyone ridden these and also ridden the LB carbons and/or rims like Spec/Enve/Reynolds? Very intriguing rims, as I'd rather have a bit more QC than the direct from China approach, but struggling to justify the 3X price difference. Especially considering the lifetime warranty of the Specialized Carbon Control (not to mention Spec has been around long enough for the warranty to carry weight).

There's certainly a need for rims that are somewhere between the direct from China bottom end and get a second mortgage to afford Enve top end.

Aside from rim pricing, built wheels look to be a bargain. I'd also be interested to see an 27.5 version of your XCR

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    Has anyone ridden these and also ridden the LB carbons and/or rims like Spec/Enve/Reynolds? Very intriguing rims, as I'd rather have a bit more QC than the direct from China approach, but struggling to justify the 3X price difference. Especially considering the lifetime warranty of the Specialized Carbon Control (not to mention Spec has been around long enough for the warranty to carry weight).

There's certainly a need for rims that are somewhere between the direct from China bottom end and get a second mortgage to afford Enve top end.

Aside from rim pricing, built wheels look to be a bargain. I'd also be interested to see an 27.5 version of your XCR
    I've built a handful of sets of the Light-Bicycle rims. Feedback has been good. One issue folks have had, however, is getting tires set up tubeless, it's sometimes really difficult to get the bead seated initially. Multiple layers of tape help. The NOX rims are much better in this regard, and also have the asymetrical design, which I like.

11 is one louder than 10

Yes,

I've owned Enve, Roval, and the Nox.

Enve - nice, but a pain in the ass to true. I knocked my AM rear rim a bit out, and with the internal nipples - pain in the ass to true up. I also struggled at times to set them up tubeless (but they always did seal eventually). Nice, very stiff wheelset.

Specialized (had the trail SL's). Set up tubeless great, stayed true but I kept busting rear spokes like crazy. I've never broken spokes like that. Specialized was great about warranty and sent me a completely new set. (replaced even the front when the rear was my only issue).

Nox - so far set up tubeless as easy as the Specialized and I really like them. Only got them in October though and have about 250 miles on them.

If I was starting over however - I'd pick the Nox thus far. Using Hadley hubs this time, which have been nice. That said, would like to see King get that XD driver done.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    I am glad these are getting great reviews, I hope you guys are doing well and that you can see your way into making some 400gr 26 in all mountain wheels. As far as I can tell only Light Bike and enve are currently making 26 in carbon rims. Until then I will just have to sit around and look at the pretty photos.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    NoxComposites: can you give a little more detail about using these for CX? Specifically, how wide would I need to go to get the tire bead to seat well, 35mm or more? I have a set of stans iron cross rims on my CX bike, but I weigh 200 pounds and these rims feel 'noodly' to me. I'm thinking of swapping over to some Nox xcr-29 rims to stiffen things up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjkowski View Post
    NoxComposites: can you give a little more detail about using these for CX? Specifically, how wide would I need to go to get the tire bead to seat well, 35mm or more? I have a set of stans iron cross rims on my CX bike, but I weigh 200 pounds and these rims feel 'noodly' to me. I'm thinking of swapping over to some Nox xcr-29 rims to stiffen things up.
    You'll be fine with 33mm and wider tires. How many spokes did you go with on your Iron Cross wheelset?
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My front and rear Iron Cross wheels are both 32 spokes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Any chance these will ever be sold as a rim only option?

edit: I guess if I would have looked a little closer I would have seen the rim only opton.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    Thanks to all informative reviews. I initially thought about purchasing the Light-Bicycle carbon rims but after some serious consideration i think Nox might be the one for me. So, i am really considering on unloading of these goodness.

My concern with Nox carbon rims is the terrain i like to ride in. Typically, Socal and Tucson area where you will find some of the nastiest terrain to ride that has plenty of rocks in different shapes and sizes. A lot of the times these rocks are striking the rims.

I do have some questions for Nox before i make a decision.

This is the kind of riding i would be doing on them.

How well do these rims do on loose rocks, square edge rocks, baby head rocks, how do they do on Chunk?
    What is the warranty on the rims?
    What is your customer service like?
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm also evaluating these wheels. All I can tell you Scott Forty G is that I've had Easton Haven carbons and now (2) sets of Enve's (one AM and now XC's) and they handle that chunk just fine. Of course, the rims can't get scratched up but they are still very true and I've had zero issues. I have a friend that rides the LB rims and while he's a much more "careful" rider than I am, he's had no problems either. I just can't foresee there being an issue with the NOX wheels either.

I will say, that like another poster above, that I have had some issues setting up some tires tubeless on the Enve's. Never had that issue with the Eastons. Everything I've read about the NOX wheels has said they are easier to set up that Enve's when going tubeless.

Nobel was pretty nice yesterday eh? Best dirt I've had out there in a while!!

mtbr member
    Anything is going to break, however sounds like these are pretty durable. According to NOX they only have had one failure and it was just a chip to a side wall.
    Man, I really like to ride bikes, and I liked the song in the video, but that trail looked like the opposite of fun. i have to believe there are some better options in California.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As an alternative, Derby's are on sale right now for $299
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    As an alternative, Derby's are on sale right now for $299
    What a classy move........

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Quote Originally Posted by YaMon View Post
    YaMon- please show me where this is a thread started by, managed or sponsored by NOX? This is a forum where people trade information. Several other brands have already been mention in this thread itself.
    Some people have been mention price, so I mention an alternative that happens to be on sale.

Funny how you go on long rants in other threads, but what I just did you find fault with.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    Let me know if you get the NOX i would love to see them in person.

Yeah Nobel was primo yesterday. Did i run into you up there or ? I took 3 people up there yesterday that has not been there before after a small scare they all kicked ass.

Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'm also evaluating these wheels. All I can tell you Scott Forty G is that I've had Easton Haven carbons and now (2) sets of Enve's (one AM and now XC's) and they handle that chunk just fine. Of course, the rims can't get scratched up but they are still very true and I've had zero issues. I have a friend that rides the LB rims and while he's a much more "careful" rider than I am, he's had no problems either. I just can't foresee there being an issue with the NOX wheels either.

I will say, that like another poster above, that I have had some issues setting up some tires tubeless on the Enve's. Never had that issue with the Eastons. Everything I've read about the NOX wheels has said they are easier to set up that Enve's when going tubeless.

Nobel was pretty nice yesterday eh? Best dirt I've had out there in a while!!

mtbr member
    Still no 26 in rims though eh?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14 View Post
    Still no 26 in rims though eh?
    No rim brake compatible either. Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    I love the bikes I have and none of the marketing or test riding I have done has convinced me I need a larger size wheel. Or maybe I just like a bike with stiff wheels that is quick in the corners, and jumps easier over a bike that is quick through a rock garden.

mtbr member
    YaMon- please show me where this is a thread started by, managed or sponsored by NOX? This is a forum where people trade information. Several other brands have already been mention in this thread itself.
    Some people have been mention price, so I mention an alternative that happens to be on sale.

Funny how you go on long rants in other threads, but what I just did you find fault with.
    [/I]

I believe the name of the thread is NOX Composites.....just saying, real class move.... You come across as that guy that buys Cheap Chinese Carbon and goes into your LBS and ask them to install it, and then ask for a discount......

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    [/I]

I believe the name of the thread is NOX Composites.....just saying, real class move.... You come across as that guy that buys Cheap Chinese Carbon and goes into your LBS and ask them to install it, and then ask for a discount......
    Shows what assuming does, I'm actually that guy that has a frank discussion with the owner of my LBS. I have flat out told him I'd rather support him than an online shop, however I'm not rich and can't just throw money away. I've bought 2 bikes, and 90% of my stuff through him. I go in, say I see this item for this much online, how close can you come. I normally end up paying a little more, but I'm ok with that. I've seen what online shopping does in another hobby.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Shows what assuming does, I'm actually that guy that has a frank discussion with the owner of my LBS. I have flat out told him I'd rather support him than an online shop, however I'm not rich and can't just throw money away. I've bought 2 bikes, and 90% of my stuff through him. I go in, say I see this item for this much online, how close can you come. I normally end up paying a little more, but I'm ok with that. I've seen what online shopping does in another hobby.
    The specs on a NOX rim vs. a Derby rim are completely different....not even in the same zip code. There was no reason to mention them....The more and more I do my research the more I realize that most "buyers" do not know about these threads. People that come on here, do so several times a day......so when you see 100,000 views, there really is not that many people out there that know about these threads. I was in a bike shop in N. Georgia last week and he had no clue who Derby was. Every bike shop I have ever gone to and asked if a hookless, 35mm, 40mm rim was a good idea.....I got a big NO !!

I think Derby made a huge mistake by not doing enough diligence before he entered the market. He tried to sell through online sales and then through bike shops and due to his initial price, he was locked into place and could not increase it to give the bike shops enough margin. Do you know why he is still offering the "special". He also misjudged the size of the marketplace that wanted wide, hook less rims......to date he has sold about 300 x 29" rims.....the volume is NOT selling through the internet, it is and will always be with the bike shops. Thank god, the Chinese Mfrs cannot enter this market because every one of them do not carry insurance. No smart bike shop would risk a lawsuit over cheap Chinese carbon. In addition, the Chinese Mfr's cannot sell it low enough for a bike shop top compete with their online sales. They would have to sell a $165 rim for $120 each, and that is not going to happen....

LB, IPlay, Nextie are all trading companies. At the present time they are manufacturered by one factory......I know, I have their address and even sent someone there. The manufacturers of the large bike companies are the closest held secrets out there. Yet some stupid people think LB manufacturers for the big names......Ha, Ha, Ha....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Like youre one to talk about class?

Every thread you enter is with the intent to troll. Even in Derby's own thread you obnoxiously began questioning the need and safety of his design, and then post in other threads about how you think its a flawed design.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Lets keep it civil people. I think the Derbys look interesting. Specialized goes hookless and they get pretty solid reviews.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14 View Post
    Lets keep it civil people. I think the Derbys look interesting. Specialized goes hookless and they get pretty solid reviews.
    There is no talking reason with some of these folks. Find a thread with carbon in the title and Ya mon is on there saying all this stuff over and over and arguing with likely some of the same folks he's arguing with here. Ya mon is either the greatest public service announcer in mtb history, or he has a product/s to protect and has found himself in a position where he thinks ranting on mtbr is the best way to do that.

Edit: btw, Ya Mon's rant about Specialized hookless rims coming in 5, 4, 3,....
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast