Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: NOX Composites?

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    Finally got my hoops today. Had Dave at Speeddream lace these up. Always have felt he builds the best hoops out there and glad to have him lace these up.
    Not doing the full review as of yet. But basics on these. Nox Composites 29ers, Dave's blend of spokes for my 190-205lb carcass. (2.0/1.8 drive side rear and front disc, 2.0/1.5 non drive and front non disc.
    Hadley Hubs, XX1 driver body. Blue alloy nipples.
    Weight - 900 rear (with tape and valve) 760 front (with valve and tape).
    Initial impressions. Stiffer than the rovals. Definitely deeper than the rovals. I think they are a bit wider internally though both are listed 23.
    Tubeless set-up - easiest I've ever had. Loved the definitive POP when inflating. Specialized were also pretty easy to set-up. The Enve were a bit harder.
    Will do a more complete review after more miles.
    Nice!! You got the best wheel builder in the world, well, IMHO.
    Dave's wheels rock.

11 is one louder than 10
    Yeah, put 20 miles on yesterday but playing hookey this AM to go out and hammer them some more before the snow flies here.

Dave is the best, or at least no one out there is better...
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hopefully NoxComposites will see this: any further information on an AM29 rim?

I might be really interested in an AM29!

Thanks

11 is one louder than 10
    Ok,

Will you guys consider 5 hours of ride time enough for an initial review and comparison to the Enve's and Roval Trail SL 29ers?

First a review. Last year I rode the Enve AM/DT 240/Sapim X-Ray spokes combo.

They were stiff, pretty light, and nice and wide. They were a pain to set-up tubeless with a few combos, and truing them (I knocked the rear out) was a royal pain in the ass as you had to pull the tire, tubeless tape, true them up, and re-install. I also don't love bladed spokes, but can go either way.

Ride wise - stiff as could be (which I like on a dually at 195 lbs) and the width was great.

Cost - astronomical, BUT U.S.A. built rims which is nice.

Roval Trail Carbon SL 29er - Back in May after a couple months I loved them. 80% as stiff as the Enves, still a decent width, nice weight, same 240 style hubs and a good value. Cost no object I would steer enve over these, but considering cost, I felt the rovals are the better value. They are china built rims. In june... I started breaking rear spokes. EASY to replace with the straight spokes. Trued back up easily, but then I found the rear wheel to keep losing tension. Then the spoke breaking carosel started up. I broke at least 8 spokes this year. Mounting tubeless was easier than Enve, but not as easy as the NOX so far.

Specialized eventually warranted the entire wheelset which was AWESOME. My local shop was GREAT about it. But, I did sell them and move on... I wanted a faster engaging hub again.

I still think the Roval's are a nice value and the warranty is great. They were stiffer than most alloy wheels I've ridden but not quite the Enve's. Lighter.

That brings me to the NOX/Hadley/Speeddream build.

I can't tell you a darn thing about long-term durability at this point. I jumped them today and pounded them pretty good but only have 5 hours on them. So far, so good.

Ride wise, I know they claim 23mm internal and in my rush to ride them I didn't bother to measure but they sure seem wider than the rovals which are also a claimed 23. I would need to measure them, but I'm 90% sure they are wider and deeper.

Tubeless set-up - best I've ever experienced. Specialized Ground Control 29 x 2.3 (a great tire) a bit tight to get on the rim, but the center channel helped on these. A bit of soapy water on the rim to help them bead up and they SNAPPED into place. Dead center also. No sagging bead etc.

Weight - lighter than the enve, and while I'm going from memory they are as stiff, or very, very close to it. I felt the same about the Rovals early on, but having just come off of those the NOX are stiffer, no question. Could also be Dave at speeddreams build.

Cost wise - these are a bargain and I was able to go with Hadley hubs (nothing wrong with DT swiss and the DT's are easy to work on and more easily switched between formats) but the faster engagement I do like. The little piece they use to make sure the valve stem is level is also a nice touch. I had no leaks through the spoke holes, and lost no pressure overnight.

Small new company, which is a bit of a concern but I think these guys will be around for a while if they manage the business right. Assuming these are durable long term, they are a bargain.

If US built is important (and I prefer it myself) then the Enve's are very nice, but honestly I couldn't tell anyone to get the Enve's over the Nox at this point, cost considered. You could get a couple back-up rims almost for the same price. I also think internal nipples are a pain in the ass, but hopefully you won't need to true any of these up too much.

So, hopefully they hold up. Early on I was enamored with the bargain of the rovals. I've seen a few threads of spokes breaking on others, so I'm not isolated. No clue if it's the hub (could an angle be drilled wrong?) the spokes (bad batches do happen), or something else like the build. Can't rip specialized as they stood behind them.

Digging the Nox so far.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Nuts
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    The label at the valve hole says ISO 622 X 23.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    The label at the valve hole says ISO 622 X 23.
    Yup mine do to but take this up with bike rumor

Claimed widths are 30mm outside/23mm inside/25mm depth. Ours measured in at just over 31mm wide and 24mm inside. That made the already monstrous Honey Badger look positively menacing. It didnít care.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm trying to put on a pair of Nobby Nics and can't get the bead to seat. How did you do it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemark View Post
    I'm trying to put on a pair of Nobby Nics and can't get the bead to seat. How did you do it?
    Try removing the valve core first, this lets a air flow in much faster. If it works, pump it up to about 30psi then take the pump head off the valve, stop the air with your finger, and put the valve core back in. You can get it back in without losing much air surprisingly.

If that doesn't work, use some soapy water to lubricate the tire bead and rim tape, which will make it easier for the bead to slip into place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    Try removing the valve core first, this lets a air flow in much faster. If it works, pump it up to about 30psi then take the pump head off the valve, stop the air with your finger, and put the valve core back in. You can get it back in without losing much air surprisingly.

If that doesn't work, use some soapy water to lubricate the tire bead and rim tape, which will make it easier for the bead to slip into place.
    A couple other things to try if this doesn't work:

I've found that new, out of the box Schwalbes sometimes tricky to mount initially if the sidewall isn't straightening out all the way. I had this last weekend with a Rocket Ron when I was trying to get it to pop into place on an Enve AM rim. I ended up putting a tube in and mounting the tire and leaving it like this overnight. In the morning I took the tube out, put a little soapy water on the bead, and then it snapped right into place.

Using an air compressor helps a lot. The Lezyne Dirt Floor large volume pump is another option but the quick blast from a compressor is hard to beat.

I usually pop this tires into place first, and then remove the valve core and inject the sealant. Find this the easiest for me. I've used Stan's until recently. Now switched to Orange Sealant which has gotten very good reviews.

Separately - very intrigued by these Nox rims. Thinking of moving my Enve AM's from my Jet 9 RDO to my Rip 9 RDO and then putting a set of the Nox on the Jet 9 RDO. Would make for a nice comparison. Will post update in the future if I do this.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post

Separately - very intrigued by these Nox rims. Thinking of moving my Enve AM's from my Jet 9 RDO to my Rip 9 RDO and then putting a set of the Nox on the Jet 9 RDO. Would make for a nice comparison. Will post update in the future if I do this.
    My Jet RDO is lovin them!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemark View Post
    What Nobby Nics? Do they have Tubeless Ready or Tubeless embossed on the sidewall? There are also Nobby Nic Performance Line tires which are not TLR. I have found that TLR Nobby Nics inflate as easily as UST tires on tubeless rims.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member

NOX Composites?

I seated the bead on my rocket Ron snakeskin with a floor pump, didn't even need to use soap....first time I didn't need to use my compressor with the core removed.

The rear was another story-same tire. Turns out, the tape had a cut in it. Had to put on a new layer of Stan's tape and the seated up easily.

As a side note, these rims are excellent. Stiff, wide (had Enve XC before) and fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My new wheels: Nox with American Classic hubs. Front 15mm, rear 135x10mm.
    Nox was very convenient in hubs choises. Rims look very solid!
    Weight is 1475gr with rim strip and alloy AC valves.
    Brad from Nox Composites was very helpful on every demand which is very good promise in excellent customer service. Thanks.
    NOX Composites?-img_1823%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Thinking about these as an upgrade for an incoming Yeti SB95c but wondering if I should be waiting for something wider. Also thinking about these rims laced to I9 hubs. Anyone have any experience with this combo? Anyone running these on an SB95?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Thinking about these as an upgrade for an incoming Yeti SB95c but wondering if I should be waiting for something wider. Also thinking about these rims laced to I9 hubs. Anyone have any experience with this combo? Anyone running these on an SB95?
    I just built a set for a local customer using the Torch Classic hubs with Revolution spokes laced 3-cross. 1,565g. Great set of wheels...I didn't want to give them up haha.

IMO the width on these is about perfect for most folks. Wide enough to spread the sidewalls out a good bit, but not so wide to leave 2.2"ish tire's sidewalls vunerable. The wider NOX rims in the 29" flavor are gonna be a while I believe...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    I had a pair built with the I9 Torch hubs in August and am very happy with them. I ride a Tallboy Ltc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    how do these compare to the new Derby rims

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I also have a Tallboy Ltc and was wondering which hubs I should go with. Would you recommend on hub over another?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There are lots of good hub choices these days, we currently build with I9 (our most popular hub by far), King or Hope for a bike like the Ltc. Other hubs to check out include Hadley, DT and E13.

We have some info here on the tech behind our rims if you're looking to compare them to other rims on the market: Technology Behind Nox Composites Rims | Nox Composites

We plan to stay at ~23mm inner for XC rims and ~27-28mm inner for AM rims for the foreseeable future. The only thing that would make us go wider is if tire manufacturers start to design tires specifically for use on wider rims. Besides ideal tire profile, there is also a balance between width and weight. We strive to keep rim weights as low as possible since it's one of the most noticeable upgrades you can make on a bike.

Development on the AM-29 has already started, but we are still thinking it'll be summer before we get the rim through testing and into production.
    Nox Composites
    Carbon Fiber Mountain Rims and Wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply. I currently have ZTR Stans Arch Ex rims with Hope Pro 2 hubs on them but want to upgrade to carbon since I have a lot of wear and tear on the rims and spokes are starting to break. I weight 180lbs and primarily ride cross country trails in Northern California (Auburn, Downieville, and Tahoe) so the XC rims is probably my best option. Always wanted to try Chris King hubs and I plan on having Dave build the wheels so I'll wait to see what he recommends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Anyone try the XC rims yet for cyclocross?

@NoxComposit - have you guys received any feedback yet from racers?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yes, but tire selection is a bit tricky, you have to run a very wide CX tire for it to work. Narrow tires won't pop in the bead because the rim is so wide. Keep in mind typical CX rims are 16-18mm internal.

We sponsor Brian Rogers, the 2011 and 2012 ultracross champ who is racing on them this season, also the div II XC collegiate champion, Wes Lamberson is racing CX on them.
    Nox Composites
    Carbon Fiber Mountain Rims and Wheels

mtbr member
    Does anybody have a long term review of these? And what is your intended use?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just installed a pair on my Ibis Ripley, with CK hubs, and simply couldn't be happier! Granted this is my first set of carbon hoops, but WOW, the ride quality is unbelievable!
    Spectacular quality, and oh so STIFF! Also, it's always nice to see some competition in bike bling, because it's the consumer who wins! Highly recommended!!!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast