Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: NOX Composites?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    I am 99% sure these will be my next wheel!
    WoW

I love the website customizing cart so I can pick what I want for a good price and get the color I want too!
    I just received my 27.5 Nox wheel set this week as well. Had them built up by Dave at Speed Dream. They will be going on a Pivot Mach 6. Aside from their stickers, I'm super impressed so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by martinizer View Post
    Has anyone been able to mount WTB tires on the NOX rims? I'm pretty interested in the NOX but not sure i'm willing to give up my Vigilantes. The BikeRumor review said they were unable to mount a set of Bee lines. But that was the 29er and a different tire.
    FWIW, I had my Pivot Mach 6 built up yesterday and the mechanic said the Nobby Nic went on the front w/o too much effort but the Continental Trail King was a biatch to get on. On the flip side, it aired up with a hand pump no problem.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I just received my 27.5 Nox wheel set this week as well. Had them built up by Dave at Speed Dream. They will be going on a Pivot Mach 6. Aside from their stickers, I'm super impressed so far.
    I've been on a set of Speed Dream built NOX 27.5 wheelset for a month........very impressed with the wheels. Dave builds great wheels period. First thing out of the box were those stickers are cheezy......they are to thick. I will eventually take them off. Another note was the Neo Motos were really difficult to install.....part of it was my technique.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    I've got a set of the AM-275s on order for a customer, just waiting on the parts. Lacing them up to some orange I9 hubs!!
    I wanna see the orange ones!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I tried putting on a set of Schwalbes; HD up front and NN rear. Dang, friggin fight and I finally won after much sweat and effort. I had put them on with tubes to seal up the tape.

THEN, tried taking off the NN. Well, after 30 minutes of more sweat and raw skin then when putting them ON they FINALLY came off. And that was w/o sealant. Whats it going to be like with sealant? I had to use a cloth-covered screw driver just to get my plastic tire iron in there and work it around to break the bead. This is NOT going to be fun on a trail-side repair.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

NOX Composites?

Not sure about your technique, but I put RR's on, it was easy with soap in a spray bottle and a very low budget compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

NOX Composites?

I haven't had to take any tires off, so I can't comment on that, but I hope I don't have the troubles you have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I did use soapy water. I'm not talking about trying to get the bead to seat. I had trouble just getting the tire onto the rim. But taking it off was worse.

Anyone else have this problem? I mean it's a real secure bead hook but this is by far the most difficult tire removal I've ever had.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I mounted a pair of Schwalbe Thunder Burts to my Nox wheelset about a week ago. Was a bit of a PITA but not terrible by any means. Tires seated no problem using just a floor pump (presta core removed). No reason to try to take the tires off at this point so I don't know how difficult removal will be. My experience has been that once a Schwalbe tire has been inflated and used a bit they stretch out and come off easily.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    I did use soapy water. I'm not talking about trying to get the bead to seat. I had trouble just getting the tire onto the rim. But taking it off was worse.

Anyone else have this problem? I mean it's a real secure bead hook but this is by far the most difficult tire removal I've ever had.
    Make sure you're using the correct technique, lots of people still don't know the best way to get tires on tubeless rims. As you get the bead over the sidwall of the rim, push it down into the center channel. The center channel is a smaller diameter than the bead shelf, so it's not nearly as tight a fit. When removing the tire, before pulling it off the rim, push the beads down into the center channel.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    Make sure you're using the correct technique, lots of people still don't know the best way to get tires on tubeless rims. As you get the bead over the sidwall of the rim, push it down into the center channel. The center channel is a smaller diameter than the bead shelf, so it's not nearly as tight a fit. When removing the tire, before pulling it off the rim, push the beads down into the center channel.
    That's the correct technique. It took me thirty minutes to figure it out after it wouldn't go on the "old" way. I also used some Uncle Dick's bead slip.........

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can someone humor me and take a tire off? I can't be the only one seriously.

I used Stan's 25mm tape to be more specific too. It's pretty thin, not like Gorilla tape which Nox does not recommend due to it's thickness.

This was a used Schwalbe too BTW.

I should be out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    I wanted to try NOX but I never git a response from them when I reached out to ask some questions. I tried voicemail and email.

I ended up going a different direction.
    I've asked several questions by email and gotten quick responses. Both through the form on their website and via direct email after that. Though post sale responsiveness to problems is the true test (I haven't purchased yet).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey j View Post
    I wanna see the orange ones!!

We used brass nipples for better corrosion resistance. Industry Nine Torch Classic hubs. 15mm front axle, 142x12 rear axle, XD driver. 1,577g even with the heavy nipples. NOX decals removed for a cleaner look.

Every bike needs more orange IMO!!

mtbr member

NOX Composites?

Want...no NEED these for my SB95c. When will the wider rims be ready!?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hey all,

We have had a few people submit questions lately via our support webform where they had a typo in their email address so we when we responded it bounced. Try emailing us directly at sales@noxcomposites.com. We respond to almost every email within 24 hours. Of course you can call us too 1-888-545-1282 9-5pm EST.

Schwalbe tires work great in our experience. Several of us here and many of our test riders and racers are using Schwalbe without a problem. The bead is designed to snap in tightly and resist breaking (so no burping). As far as removal, you should find that after a few days of stretch removal will be quite a bit easier.

AM-29 rims should be ready around June 1.
    Nox Composites
    Carbon Fiber Mountain Rims and Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    were those stickers are cheezy......
    You're crazy, the new decals are awesome! :-)

But we know decals are a personal thing, that's why we put them on top of the clearcoat and use non-permanent adhesive so they come off cleanly.
    Nox Composites

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey Nox,
    Thanks for the update about the AM-29's. I will be contacting you in the next week or so with a few questions and hopefully get some on order!!

I should be out riding

NOX Composites?

Any word on when the xc 27.5 will be available?
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's a motorcycle.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just ordered a set of xcr29 with king hubs. Looks like at least 2 weeks out before I will get them.
    Pretty excited to get them. Now waiting on the weather to break.

Any more reviews out there?

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

NOX Composites?

Ordered a set of XCR-29's on King hubs as well about 3 weeks ago...got an email from Nox 2 days later saying that the order for my hubs has been placed and another email would follow when hubs are received and my wheelset's in the build queue. That second email hasn't arrived yet. Wonder if it's a King availability issue? I know they periodically experience parts scarcity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What color hubs did you order?

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

NOX Composites?

Black

mtbr member
    ah give them a call, they are a small company sometimes people don't have the staff to make things happen in a timely manner.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Same here.
    I think they are waiting on a rim shipment

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    Same here.
    I think they are waiting on a rim shipment
    ^^This. I've had several people contact me the last few weeks trying to find a set of rims in stock somewhere. They're selling them faster than they can get them in! But availability should improve soon I'm told.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

NOX Composites?

Guess I'll ring them up tomorrow...although I'm still waiting on the frame and the fork. This just in time inventory in the bike industry is driving me to drink!

Alright, you got me...I'd be drinking either way.

:-)

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador View Post
    Guess I'll ring them up tomorrow...although I'm still waiting on the frame and the fork. This just in time inventory in the bike industry is driving me to drink!

Alright, you got me...I'd be drinking either way.

:-)
    They're worth the wait... I promise! Love the performance of the rims, and the fact that they're coming from good people doesn't hurt!!

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

NOX Composites?

Yeah, whatever...my before and after pictures on the biggest loser will be more dramatic at least, having waited 3 years to build my XC bike. So...I got THAT going for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Any news about the XCR-275? And when the AM-275 is going to be back in stock? And what are the minor improvements? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anyone have luck getting there order?
    I ordered a set of wheels 4 weeks ago and have not heard a thing.
    Was told about I should see them in about 2 weeks when the order was placed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Give us a shout if you would like an accurate update. We are starting to catch up a bit now. Apologize for being in a backorder situation for so long, but I assure you we are sending out rims/wheels daily and as fast as we can. We have and are continuing to expand capabilities to prevent this from happening in the future.

Since everyone else in the industry seems to be announcing the same thing the last few days, we too have gone hookless on the AM-29 and AM-275. The test/fea data is just too hard to deny, we can make a much stronger bead by dropping the hook. More info on our website. Also updated widths and weights posted.

XCR rims will continue to keep a small hook so you can safely use these for applications where you occasionally want to run a bit higher pressure (gravel/road/cx).
    Nox Composites

I should be out riding
    I ordered on March 10 and was told it would be 1-2 weeks for hubs. Didn't hear anything and asked again 2 weeks after that, was told rims were out of stock and on the way. Asked again yesterday, was told rims were expected this Friday and wheels would be built as soon as rims were in. I've gotten prompt responses when I've contacted NOX.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    Anyone have luck getting there order?
    I ordered a set of wheels 4 weeks ago and have not heard a thing.
    Was told about I should see them in about 2 weeks when the order was placed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    You are a moron.

Remember that all your posts about trying a get rich quick scheme marking up cheap Chinese carbon rims are still around.

How's the lacrosse stick business going? Are those customers you call idiots snatching your cheap Chinese carbon lacrosse sticks up and making you rich off of mark-up... a peddler's game?

mtbr member

NOX Composites?

What's the eta for the am29?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    I ordered on March 10 and was told it would be 1-2 weeks for hubs. Didn't hear anything and asked again 2 weeks after that, was told rims were out of stock and on the way. Asked again yesterday, was told rims were expected this Friday and wheels would be built as soon as rims were in. I've gotten prompt responses when I've contacted NOX.
    Thanks, your wheels are scheduled to be started tomorrow Acree. Again, sorry for the delay. It's frustrating for us too, we hate to not meet our expected ship dates. FWIW, we are keeping the ETA on the website as accurate as possible and stock levels are getting better.

For those guys that we slipped delivery dates on, we'll throw some swag in for you.

AM-29 (hookless 29mm wide internal) and AM-275 (hookless 28mm internal) rims are in full production now. We expect first batches to arrive in stock April 25 to May 1.
    Nox Composites

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by NoxComposites View Post
    Thanks, your wheels are scheduled to be started tomorrow Acree. Again, sorry for the delay. It's frustrating for us too, we hate to not meet our expected ship dates. FWIW, we are keeping the ETA on the website as accurate as possible and stock levels are getting better.

For those guys that we slipped delivery dates on, we'll throw some swag in for you.

AM-29 (hookless 29mm wide internal) and AM-275 (hookless 28mm internal) rims are in full production now. We expect first batches to arrive in stock April 25 to May 1.
    Can't wait. I will have some happy customers knowing they are almost available
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Can someone explain the differences between hookless and the hook bead ?
    Hookless seems like a bad idea to me. How does the tire stay on ? Just by friction ?
    What happens when the air gets too low ? Does it burp easier ?

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: NOX Composites?

Quote Originally Posted by dcpowpow View Post
    Can someone explain the differences between hookless and the hook bead ?
    Hookless seems like a bad idea to me. How does the tire stay on ? Just by friction ?
    What happens when the air gets too low ? Does it burp easier ?
    The hook does little to nothing in regards to tire retention. The kevlar bead maintains the ID of the tire, and therefor the tire on the rim, not the hook.

It will not burp easier. On a carbon rim, the hook is machined in, whereas the hookless requires no machining, and doesnt harm the integrity of the carbon layup, resulting in a stronger rim.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Right on Banana, with modern tires, the beads are so strong that they don't stretch much at all. The hook isn't used to "hold on" the tire, especially when we are talking about relatively low-pressure applications like mountain biking with large volume tires. For example, car/motorcycle/lawnmower/etc rims have been hookless for a long time.

Many CF rim manufactures have always know that creating a hook in a carbon rim creates a weak spot. I can't speak for other manufacturers, but the changes in layup that we've made by going hookless leads to a DRAMATIC improvement in bead strength and delamination resistance. It's more than just getting rid of the upside down "J" shape (that is sometimes machined out), it's a whole change in the composite layup and how the rim is constructed. Fiber is strongest when it's continuous and a hookless bead allows us to do a seamless layup in the bead area. The benefits regarding durability are pretty great, which is why you are seeing it spread like wildfire as more and more manufacturers realize the benefits.

With that said, we do feel like you shouldn't go over 45psi as it's possible with some weaker bead tires out there you could get a bit of stretching at higher psi. That's why we are keeping a small hook on our XCR rims, to allow you to run higher pressures for certain types of riding with no fear of blowing off a tire. We also have had no issues with the XCR bead strength so don't see a specific need to change it at this time. But for the AM rims and the kind borderline downhill stuff people are calling AM these days, they need all the strength they can get, and guys on 35mm wide rims will probably never run more than 45psi, so it just makes sense to go hookless in these applications.
    Nox Composites

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ok, thanks for the great explanation of hookless.
    It does seem stronger and better for carbon for sure.
    I agree, I cannot ever imagine my PSI above 28.
    So, now I will wait for the hookless version of the NOX rim : )

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

NOX Composites?

Right on Banana, with modern tires, the beads are so strong that they don't stretch much at all. The hook isn't used to "hold on" the tire, especially when we are talking about relatively low-pressure applications like mountain biking with large volume tires. For example, car/motorcycle/lawnmower/etc rims have been hookless for a long time.

Many CF rim manufactures have always know that creating a hook in a carbon rim creates a weak spot. I can't speak for other manufacturers, but the changes in layup that we've made by going hookless leads to a DRAMATIC improvement in bead strength and delamination resistance. It's more than just getting rid of the upside down "J" shape (that is sometimes machined out), it's a whole change in the composite layup and how the rim is constructed. Fiber is strongest when it's continuous and a hookless bead allows us to do a seamless layup in the bead area. The benefits regarding durability are pretty great, which is why you are seeing it spread like wildfire as more and more manufacturers realize the benefits.

With that said, we do feel like you shouldn't go over 45psi as it's possible with some weaker bead tires out there you could get a bit of stretching at higher psi. That's why we are keeping a small hook on our XCR rims, to allow you to run higher pressures for certain types of riding with no fear of blowing off a tire. We also have had no issues with the XCR bead strength so don't see a specific need to change it at this time. But for the AM rims and the kind borderline downhill stuff people are calling AM these days, they need all the strength they can get, and guys on 35mm wide rims will probably never run more than 45psi, so it just makes sense to go hookless in these applications.
    So...when I ordered my "hooked" wheels from you guys a month ago, they were the cat's a$$, but now the machining of the bead hook compromises the integrity of the layup and introduces a possible delamination site?

transmitter~receiver
    So...when I ordered my "hooked" wheels from you guys a month ago, they were the cat's a$$, but now the machining of the bead hook compromises the integrity of the layup and introduces a possible delamination site?
    uh... learn how to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

NOX Composites?

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    uh... learn how to read.
    Touché...reading this thread on my phone and didn't see the last paragraph. My bad.

Edit: that was supposed to say "touche" with an accent on the e

Edit 2: now it appears correctly, dumb phone.

transmitter~receiver
    Touché...reading this thread on my phone and didn't see the last paragraph. My bad.

Edit: that was supposed to say "touche" with an accent on the e

Edit 2: now it appears correctly, dumb phone.
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think this was already said, but XCR is remaining hooked due to reasoning above.

We don't machine the bead hook, but yes, the hookless design is less likely to delaminate from a rock strike. We would have never sold the AM-275 with a hook if we didn't feel it was strong enough, this is just an evolution to improve the product for the specific application.

If anyone has problems with a hooked AM-275 (aka the cat a$$ version) then we'll be more than happy to replace it with an AM-275 hookless (aka super cat a$$ version).

All AM-29s on the market will be SCA versions.
    Nox Composites

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Can you clarify if the rims offered by Kappius Components are NOX rims? Design looks kinda familar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzoo View Post
    Can you clarify if the rims offered by Kappius Components are NOX rims? Design looks kinda familar
    Different internal width, different ERD, bead hook looks different... I'd say no.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    Different internal width, different ERD, bead hook looks different... I'd say no.
    Exactly. Only similarities are the asymetrical design and the fact that they're carbon.

The Kappius are wider (than the XCR), lighter, and more expensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    All AM-29s on the market will be SCA versions.
    Y'all should really trademark that before someone else does!

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast