mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Novice needs help with spoke calculations.

Hello. Ive never built my own wheels, or calculated spoke lengths before. So any help is much appreciated.

Im building up a wheel which has parts consisting of, Shutter Speed PD8 dyno hub (Its actually an Exposure hub with light package, but the hub apparently is exactly the same as an SP PD8 hub) , DT Swiss 465 rim, and CX Ray spokes.

According to Sapim's spoke calculator, I have come up with following dimensions...

Front wheel disc hub...

Total length of hub: 100mm
    Non gear side: 25mm
    Gear side: 25mm
    Hub diameter non-gear side: 58mm
    Hub diameter gear side: 52mm
    Internal diameter of rim: 599mm
    Number of spokes: 28

It will be a 3 cross wheel. However, what I can't figure out and have not been able to find is the rim thickness that the Sapim calculator asks for ??

I have used these websites for reference...

Spoke calculator | Sapim

DT Swiss - RR 465 double

http://www.sp-dynamo.com/8-series-pic/PD-8-QR-01.pdf

Can someone who has experience in this field please check that my calculations are correct and help me find out what the rim thickness on a DT Swiss 465 rim is please ? And if possible, recommend a spoke length for me.

Thank you

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Using Freespoke: 294mm spoke length?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I use Spoke length calculator for calculating spokelengths for my spoke calculations.

I can't help you with the rim thickness. I've never used that in my calculations. I would think that it's built in the normal rim diameter measurement. If you use 14mm spokes instead of the 12mm it would give you a little more leeway in your build.

I've only built 4 pair of wheels so I am still a novice but I am still using my first build from 20+ years ago.

I just finished building a wheel with a SP dynamo hub and Arch EX rim and Sapim Laser spokes. The build was a little tougher than expected. I could not use my truing stand because of the resistance of the magnets and the flat spot on the axle. I had to mount it on a road bike and use the brake blocks as a guide. I prefer to sit at the kitchen table with my truing stand and watch tv while truing. My garage doesn't have as great lighting and it's hot. It doesn't spin as freely as a normal hub so it's tougher to find the high and low spots. I haven't mounted the finished wheel as of yet because I am waiting on some Stan's fluid to convert to tubeless. Good luck!

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Sorry to tack my question in here too, but I'm curious about something myself. I'm thinking about doing a build and the calculators are all saying use a 258 for the front left side and 260 for all others. Can I just run 260 all the way around, or 258? Do I really need to use different lengths? Can't the nipple take up some of the slack?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    With a 2mm difference I would get the calculated length. Or you probably would be fine if you went 259. Some spokes are widely available in even and while others are available in odd lengths.