Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Novatec Hubs any good?

Hello,
    Any of you tried these hubs? Are they any good?
    I ride fairly aggressive with max 4ft drops and mainly trail riding. Looking to replace my current hubs.

Novatec D041SB & D042SB
    http://www.novatec.com.tw/novatec/en...php?c1=3&c2=10

Thank you,
    Jason
    Put something exciting between your legs. Ride a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No. They are Joytech hubs. Avoid them.

mtbr member
    Why avoid them? I'm curious because Transition's hubs are rebadged Joytech hubs and I happen to have one on the rear of one of my bikes. It seems like a pretty stout hub so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have Novatech hubs on some Sun SOS rims. Been using them almost a year now with no problems. I mainly do trail riding but on occasion will hit a 3 ft drop and some jumps. They've held up so far.

not so super...
    Ask on the Ibex forum. I think that is what comes stock on their bikes.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Norco also has used them, re-badged as Axiom, they used to be pretty popular on the north shore a few years ago because they were easy to service and came with both quick release and solid axles. They are generally heavy but pretty durable, I have seen that they do a carbon version, haven't heard much about them though. They also make a SS hub that was popular with European trials guys because it was cheap and solid.
    I've got a couple of friends who have several years on them, no issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    using joytech hubs now, kindda heavy for what it is, quite ok for me...

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried the carbon ones ?
    Anyone have any newer updates on how these (either)
    have held up ?
    How does the weight of the Novatech rear hub compare
    to a Shimano XT hub ?

I AM I AM
    What about Novatec rims? I got a Novatec Dominant (rim) coming with a frame I've brought, just chasing any info? Does Novatec have a website?

I AM I AM

I AM I AM

mtbr member
    I have the D1425BT rear hub on a wheelset I got. I know they are their cheaper hubs, but I developed a TON of play in the freehub in less than 30 miles. This is on my 2x2 MTB that I was only using on the road. No drops besides curbs.

Took it to my mechanic and he didn't know how to remove or tighten the freehub. I'm going to try and do it again even if it means I will break them. Can't use it as it is now anyways.
    '12 Soma Analog SS
    '10 Transition TransAM
    '07 Felt F1X
    '97 Schwinn Mesa SS
    '89 Fuji Saratoga
    '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Just for context, I'm a Clydesdale riding semi-aggressive BC Cross Country trails. I don't do drops.

I've been riding a Novatec hub for about two or three years. I have a good LBS who honoured the warranty, which is good, because I had to have it replaced twice while it was under warranty and once after (the LBS still replaced it, good folks). I then had to have the cartridge bearings replaced on it after that, and the freehub body came lose after a week of riding after that. Needless to say, I'm not a fan.

as for the weight, I have Rhyno Lite XL rim on the Novatec, and my other wheel is a Rhyno Lite (not XL) on an XT 765 hub, which feels lighter. By guess is that the XL rim is a bit heavier. Also, the XT is centre lock. The XT six bolt hubs are noticeably heavier than their centre locks, so if you're comparing the XTs to the Novatec's keep that in mind.

I'd say go XT. Even if the freehub fails, they are cheap to buy a whole new freehub body, and easy to relplace it yourself with the right tools.

Canwood

mtbr member
    no problems with novatec for two years of using everywhere
    watch what happened when i checked em:
    http://photofile.com.ua/users/dns.fotoplenka/150189694/
    see, it's almost like new, despite i rode xc, am and lite DH, even sometimes in liquid mood and it still runs well.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Go for the 4 bearings hub.. They are more durable, especially for D042SB-SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    hi guys
    maybe you should check this out
    http://issuu.com/novatectaiwan
    also
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dhride1000

you should know that in past 4 years Novatec did big progress in branding and products at least in some countries where they have good distributors
    I will suggest to check D712SB hub

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm Novatec hubs

This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2udGN6xQ5aU
    is a handy looking bit of kit for a spare wheelset. Esp if you have several bikes.

Couple of different versions too.
    http://www.novatec.com.tw/novatec/en...php?c1=3&c2=14

Let's face it, hubs, esp front are low tech by modern stds. They are an alloy tube w bearings stuck in the ends and a couple of flange to mount spokes on. A kid could *design* (not make) one on google sketchup in 30mins.
    No professional is going to go too badly wrong with this tech in 2010.
    So I have no fear about riding these - esp as I am not fat and so push no design limits even w pretty aggressive riding.
    I'am already sacrificing max performance/(min) weight for value/versatility. So I am not worried about that either.
    But there is still a problem. Where to buy them!

mtbr member
    I got mine at Superstar Components under their own name... they feel great, light, and very easy to service! I think the Switch Evo hubs are the same as D881SB/D882SB hubs

mtbr member
    Apparently they are feshionable......i cracked up laughing when i read this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jado
    Apparently they are feshionable......i cracked up laughing when i read this.
    guess they tried to say that they've made some big leap over the past years in hub's desing and managed to hit 1XX level :-D

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by fudja
    guess they tried to say that they've made some big leap over the past years in hub's desing and managed to hit 1XX level :-D

They made OEM hubs and parts for many Asian bike companies, I guess. I've seen the catalog, their high-end stuff are not cheap, not bad actually. Test ride the carbon wheelset, I was quite impress, fast engagement, competitive weight.

At the end of the day the eBay stuff really ruin the name, that's a shame.

Former Bike Wrench
    Novatec is made by Joytech. Joytech has been making good hubs for many years, them along with Formula make most of the OEM house brand hubs on the market. I have a set of WheelTech hubs that is Rocky Mountains house brand wheel and hub branch. They are Novatec and they work just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    At the end of the day the eBay stuff really ruin the name, that's a shame.
    maybe it "ruins" their name in terms of the high-end market you prefer, but those $80-a-set ebay hubs are darn good for the price. They are pretty much identical in internal design to the old Hope Bulb hubs. Heavy but solid, dependable, and easy to service

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    maybe it "ruins" their name in terms of the high-end market you prefer, but those $80-a-set ebay hubs are darn good for the price. They are pretty much identical in internal design to the old Hope Bulb hubs. Heavy but solid, dependable, and easy to service

That I agree. I even think about getting one myself for the SS. it's cheap and many bling color to choose from. Thanks for the reliability info, what's the engagement on the rear hub you know? is it similar to Hope at 15 degree?

I think the company should change the name for their high-end product. If I'm going to by a $7000 Cannondale I'd think twice if they advertise Cannondale by Pacific.

That's how many industries work though. $1M Bucatti is owned by VW. $250k Breguet watch is owned by Swatch.

mtbr member
    That I agree. I even think about getting one myself for the SS. it's cheap and many bling color to choose from. Thanks for the reliability info, what's the engagement on the rear hub you know? is it similar to Hope at 15 degree?
    yes, 24POE, i.e. 15deg engagement. Just confirmed with the hub in my garage

I think the company should change the name for their high-end product. If I'm going to by a $7000 Cannondale I'd think twice if they advertise Cannondale by Pacific.

That's how many industries work though. $1M Bucatti is owned by VW. $250k Breguet watch is owned by Swatch.
    Good point. Novatec is already a higher end brand of Joytech, although maybe they should split the products lines differently or split them further

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast