mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Novatec D882SB hub questions

Hello all,

I am wondering if anybody has any experience with Novatec hubs...specifically the D882SB model (set up for 142x12). It is a wee bit on the heavy side. I am pretty certain that that model hub is all steel...steel hub shell, freehub body and axle. I am wondering if it is possible to swap out the freehub body and/or the axle for aluminum replacements. It looks like they sell aluminum freehub bodies but I don't know if they would be compatible with this hub. I have poked around on line quite a bit and tried to contact Novatec and their US sales guy, as well as some other online Novatec resellers. I can't find a conclusive answer myself and nobody I have reached out to has gotten back to me. So, I turn to you..the great MTBR.com forums community!
    Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMorris View Post
    Hello all,

I am wondering if anybody has any experience with Novatec hubs...specifically the D882SB model (set up for 142x12). It is a wee bit on the heavy side. I am pretty certain that that model hub is all steel...steel hub shell, freehub body and axle. I am wondering if it is possible to swap out the freehub body and/or the axle for aluminum replacements. It looks like they sell aluminum freehub bodies but I don't know if they would be compatible with this hub. I have poked around on line quite a bit and tried to contact Novatec and their US sales guy, as well as some other online Novatec resellers. I can't find a conclusive answer myself and nobody I have reached out to has gotten back to me. So, I turn to you..the great MTBR.com forums community!
    Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    At under 350g it is not a heavy hub at all.

The hub shell is aluminum, not steel.

I do not see a 142/12 axle option.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Looks like a steel axle and freehub body...shell is alloy. I still don't consider 404g really that heavy for a solid and quite durable (as other Novatec hubs have been) 142mm x 12mm hub.

Have you tried calling the US rep? Harder to ignore than emails.

D882SB (RH) - Novatec
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    It seems like the big problem is spare parts. People seem to have some trouble sourcing freehubs when necessary.

id check out the bikehubstore.com hubs if you're looking for something budget. They're really light compared to almost anything, and spares are easy to find (through them). 48pt too, and durable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the quick responses.
    I heard back from a US sales rep (who has been quite helpful thus far) and you guys are correct: the hub shell is 6061 T6 aluminum. And yes, 404g is not super heavy. I admit I am being a weenie. I know the aluminum parts won't be as durable, but I want to experiment and see for myself.
    One Pivot: thanks for the tip, I will check that out!
    If anybody is interested in the outcome of this experiment I'll be happy to post back if/when I've made some progress.
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by JudgeMorris; 11-27-2012 at 07:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'd be interested to hear more about the outcome, please post! My SRAM X.9 is eating non drive side bearings so I am considering to replace it with a D882 (with 10 mm thru axle in aluminium).

Regarding spare parts at least for my D712SB that takes the Novatec type B1 freehub I got a real quick delivery of the Anti Bite Guard version from BDop Cycling Co. I however believe D882 takes type B freehubs, and at least bdop only have the regular version of these.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Sorry for super tardy reply! So far, so good, with the upgraded freehub and axle. Only have a couple hundred miles on them though, so time will tell. Last I checked (months ago) the type B freehub does not come in Anti Bite and my aluminum upgrade was not Anti Bite. I'll post back if it suffers a premature death.

mtbr member
    where did you find the upgrades?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have superstar switch hub which are rebranded novatech DS882.
    For 135x12 axle is steel but freehub exist in both steel or alloy.
    In my case 330g, I guess 142x12 will be higher in weight. 404g should be with steel freehub.
    Alloy axle is an option on 135x12 (not on 142x12), but I wouldn't trust it as it will be very thin.

mtbr member
    The solid steel 12mm axle is the heavy part of the Novatec.

You can modify the adapters to back-convert to 9mm QR, which weighs less.

Or, a tubular chrome-moly rear axle is far stronger than aluminum, and saves significant weight. (you will have to make your own)

All parts, and beautiful tools, are available from B-Dop cycling in Taiwan. I have bought parts and tools from them, and they arrived faster than a reply to an email from Novatec-USA.

Of course a TRUE weight weenie doesn't care about strength, so I have saved 32 grams by using a q-tip for a rear axle, and securing it by twisting the cotton ends.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hilarious! Now that is worth some positive rep!!!

Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    Of course a TRUE weight weenie doesn't care about strength, so I have saved 32 grams by using a q-tip for a rear axle, and securing it by twisting the cotton ends.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SLS1980 View Post
    where did you find the upgrades?
    Sorry for the tardy response...
    I got the aluminium freehub and axle directly from Novatec-USA. However, going forward I will probably try to get parts from B-Dop Cycling in Taiwan (as squareback mentioned).