Endo Gold Medalist

New question here. Noob Question. Presta or Shrader for MTB?

What do you prefer presta or shrader valves for MTB and why?

OldTeen
    Jun 2004
    Better bikes and better wheelsets use Presta valves. Do a search and you'll find alot more on the pros/cons of each. Presta is slightly lighter & has a narrower stem which is important for skinnier road rims. For MTB's, I'm not sure this is the big advantage it's cracked up to be. FWIW- you can easily find adapters which allow the use of Schrader air hoses on Presta tubes.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Both.

I drill all my rims to accept schrader valves. Usually I'll use presta tubes with a grommet installed in the rim.

The prestas are a little easier to use, but it's nice to be able to borrow a schrader tube or buy one at x-mart as a last resort.

SInce I patch and carry as spares all my old tubes, on any given day I may have either valve type. It's always entertaining to see the look on a presta snob's face when they're in need if a spare tube and I hand them a schrader.

Endo Gold Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    Both.

I drill all my rims to accept schrader valves. Usually I'll use presta tubes with a grommet installed in the rim.

The prestas are a little easier to use, but it's nice to be able to borrow a schrader tube or buy one at x-mart as a last resort.

SInce I patch and carry as spares all my old tubes, on any given day I may have either valve type. It's always entertaining to see the look on a presta snob's face when they're in need if a spare tube and I hand them a schrader.
    LOL presta snob, thats hilarious. I hate the bike snobs that tend to work in one of my LBS

EDR
    Theres no big advantage for presta. You're not missing any big point about them for mtb'ing b/c there is no big point. That being said, I have them on most of my rims, haha.

aka Jesse Palmer
    I personally have come to hate prestas because I always having to use adapters to work with shrader pumps, and I find those adapters to be a real PITA to use. I use Specialized shock pump/tire pump combo so it is much more convenient to have all the air valves on my bike the same.

My Rusty Knee
    Not sure if I am a Presta snob (probably though hehe), but I have not had a presta leak. My mate keeps buying schrader, after a few months his valves are leaking again....but i think it maybe him more than the valve cuz he always loses the dust cap, so they get filled with muck.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I use presta. Find them easier to use.

Use which ever type you like.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i come from dirtbikes...i absolutely despise presta...i just got a new bike, needless to say, i'll be drilling my rims this weekend...the rest of the world uses schrader, presta is simply 1985 when Madonna was huge
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006