mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Noob needs some Hardtail 29 tire advice

I've been searching and reading, but quite frankly, I'm overwhelmed. I ride a Hardrock Disc 29 with stock Fast Trak LK's. They've been good tires, but I'd like something better for wet roots in particular. I do run tubes with no complaints, but would consider going tubeless in the future. The trail I usually ride is hardpacked loam. Sometimes I ride a rooty, chert trail that dries immediately, and sometimes I ride a trail that is almost all limestone ledges. I never ride a wet or slimy trail.

With that said, I think I want a Ground Control 2.1 for the rear and a FastTrak 2.0(not the LK version) for the front. Would this be a good combo or should I go with a Ground Control up front as well?

Perpetual n00b
    Ground Control 2.3 on front and 2.1 on rear for speed or 2.3 on rear for cush.
    If you gorge yourself into morbid obesity, you can skip everyone else in line at Disney World.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Consider:
    Geax Mezcal rear with Saguaro front - very durable tires
    WTB Vulpine - if U can find any (stopped making them), crazy fast.
    May also Schwalbe RR or Smart Sam. SS is IMHO best tire for dry, excellent in cornering grip not so thin bubble, but only wired version.
    Maxxis Aspen are true rockets, a little faster but not so grippy as Mezcal
    May also combo Maxxis Aspen rear and Icon front (Rocky Monutain paired them likewise).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Schwalbe Rocket Rons front and rear or with a Racing Ralph rear, or Nobby Nicks on both if you want something a little more aggressive. Cant go wrong with Schwalbe tires.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclesnIPAs View Post
    Schwalbe Rocket Rons front and rear or with a Racing Ralph rear, or Nobby Nicks on both if you want something a little more aggressive. Cant go wrong with Schwalbe tires.
    Go wrong? Maybe not. Go broke? Absolutely!
    If you gorge yourself into morbid obesity, you can skip everyone else in line at Disney World.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the advice! I went with Ground Control 2.1's front and rear on the recommendation of my LBS. The guy said the 2.3 on the front would be better for late fall and winter conditions and the 2.1 would be fine for the summer. So I'll run that way and go up to a 2.3 this fall if I don't upgrade my bike before then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Go wrong? Maybe not. Go broke? Absolutely!
    Totally agree Schwalbes are pricey, but they have the "Performance" line which is $25-$35 cheaper than the EVO's. You get the same tread and weight of the EVO's but without the 3 star compound. Jeez I sound like salesman lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I always see mentions of the Schwalbe tires in these threads, but when i read the MTBR reviews on them it's nothing but terrible reviews about how weak the sidewalls are. I don't mind spending the money but it seems like there are an awful lot of bad reviews on them.

I have the Ikons and I really like them. Stout sidewalls, good weight, and great traction. On the downside i think they run a little narrow for their size, so if you're looking for a higher volume tire they are not it.
    Blur LT & Highball