mtbr member

Non UST tyre on Crossmax SL with Stans

HI,

I am trying to mount Schwalbe Rocket Ron non-ust tyres onto my ust Crossmax SLRs.

I think I have pretty much got the bead seated on both sides now but stans is still bubbling out Stans goo all around both edges and it won't keep any pressure above 13psi.

What now??
    UK-Biking Shop now live - Also follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Ride and Smile suckas
    My first recomendation is to watch this video once or twice and try all his tricks.
    http://www.notubes.com/support_movies.php

From my experience is with 3 different wheel sets mounting mostly non-ust tires.
    Of the 3 wheelsets (XT, Crossmax SLR and Stans Flow) the SLRs are the most difficult, BUT once mounted they hold air the best. An aircompressor is a must once you have the stans in the tire and on the wheel, just remove the core and inflate way over your intended pressure, get it to around 60psi. You will hear loud pops as the tire seats. Then reinstall the core and follow the video. Your Crossmax should have come with the Mavic specific valve stems. good luck
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    ok, managed to get it to seal after pumping for ages and moving the sealant around inside.

I notice that Notubes.com recommends I should be using a rim strip for this setup. Do you think it is neccessary?

I am worried about burping.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would look extra carefully and make sure the bead is seated......

mtbr member
    Seems to be. I will probably take it round the block at high psi to make sure. Do you think I will be ok without a rim strip?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My buddy has those wheels and was running non-UST Maxxis Crossmarks on our Colorado trip. He kept burping both tires and ended up slapping tubes in both wheels for the rest of the week. I wouldn't go out on any epic rides far from civilization until you see how your set up is going to work for you.

mtbr member
    Yeah I mounted standard WTB Exiwolf 1.95's up to my Crossmax SL's and that was kind of a pain. I got the bead seated just fine but they were leaking a lot. I sloshed the Stan's around like he did on the video and set both wheels sideways on buckets. Every 15 minutes or so I would flip them over, put more air in, and add more soapy water to check the progress. After doing that at least 5 times there were just minor minor leaks left. I left the wheels on one side over night, then in the morning flipped them over and went to work. Put them back on the bike and haven't had any problems (knock on wood!!!). I'm 190lbs btw and I didn't use a strip.
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

Commit or eat sh!t
    You might think about switching to UST tire at some point. Non-UST tires can lead to burping as they have thin sidewalls and beads aren't made for UST rims. While they will seal with some effort, if you do hit a rock or do a drop with serious force, it may burp and leak. This even happened to me with UST tires. Why take that kind of chance?

If you are XC kind of guy and is more concerned about weight, then it matters less. But if you are doing long rides and/or doing more aggressive stuff, I would use UST tires.

mtbr member
    This is purely for XC racing. I wouldn't class myself as a particulary light rider though!

mtbr member

Non UST tires, Always use a rim strip!!

This is just my opinion, and it is not set in stone, but I have been running Stans and "Ghetto" tubeless for over 4 years, in various configurations.

UST tires have a bead made to seal. Non UST tires do not. Sometimes you can get away with a non UST tire seating ok against a UST rim, without a strip, but it is a crapshoot. And then even if it seals, you may be out riding, and hit a rock, or turn hard, and you break the seal and it burps out a big bunch of air, and maybe even rolls the tire off the rim after it burps.

Yes, some will say that they have been running a regular tire on a tubeless rim just fine. But you will also find a bunch of people that have had burping problems, and rolled off tires like this.

I run regular tires on my Crossmax SL wheels, and I run a 20" tube on there with it "Ghetto" style. This ensures that I get a great seal, and I have never rolled off a tire, or had one burp. I run about 26 -28 psi depending on the trail usually with 2.35 Rampages, or Maxxis tires.

I use this rule on my setups:
    1.If it is a non-UST tire I use either a Stans strip or "Ghetto" strip, no matter if you put it on a non-UST, or UST rim.(the non UST rim has to have the strip anyway) This ensures a good seal no matter what.

2.If it is a UST tire then it needs no strip on a UST rim naturally, and you have to have the strip to seal on a non-UST rim.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Some tires don't convert that well on tubeless wheels. The Luna team either uses UST or if they run regular tires they use a rim strip.

mtbr member
    Cheers for the advice.

I did manage to get a tyre to inflate without but decided for the sake of 38g for the olympic rim strips it wasn't worth the risk. So now got them both inflated using the rim strips.

Now I have to decide whether of not to use them in my race tomorrow. Probably not the best idea as I haven't used this setup or even these tyres before but it is a low priority c race so I may give it a go on the warm up lap and see how it feels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy
    Cheers for the advice.

I did manage to get a tyre to inflate without but decided for the sake of 38g for the olympic rim strips it wasn't worth the risk. So now got them both inflated using the rim strips.

Now I have to decide whether of not to use them in my race tomorrow. Probably not the best idea as I haven't used this setup or even these tyres before but it is a low priority c race so I may give it a go on the warm up lap and see how it feels.
    Good luck.

I figure that the little bit that a third of a 20" tube weighs is a small price to pay for a good seal, and not rolling off a tire while going down a steep nasty hill.

Yesterday I rode down off the back side of John Krein trail and had nary a problem with the Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR non-UST tires on my UST rims with ghetto strip. 2 days ago I rode the trail labeled "unrideable" near Gates Pass, also with no problems.
    Last edited by twowheelsdown2002; 03-14-2009 at 06:33 PM.