mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Non UST Tires (but Tubeless Ready) with UST Rims.......???

I have done a search and found similar threads, but nothing exactly like my situation.

I have a set of Easton EA90 UST 29er wheels.

I have a set a Racing Ralphs EVO Tubeless Ready Tires (not Snakeskin) on the way.

Is it possible to run these tires without tubes?

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by greenerob; 11-28-2012 at 06:58 AM.

no trees are safe
    You can try, but if they don't have UST beads they won't lock in and there's a chance that they'll burp.

mtbr member
    Most TLR tires have the same bead profile as a UST tire. They do not have a UST casing and require sealant to make the casing air tight. In fact it is the combination I prefer. TLR tires are generally lighter than UST tires. When I still rode with UST tires I found that I needed sealant anyway. I found I was checking and having to pump the tires before every ride. After adding sealant, problem solved.

If your Racing Ralphs are TLR they will work great.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    as Ronnie says you musn't have any problem as long as you use some kind of sealant, in fact, I`ve been using non ust or TLR tires with just sealant on UST rims w/o any issue

mtbr member
    Using non UST or non Tubeless Ready tires on a UST rim without tubes is a gamble. I've had some work fine and others burp quite easily. Your best bet is to get the Tubeless Ready versions of the Racing Ralphs.

mtbr member
    The OP's question was a bit confusing, but I think Bike Whisperer has actually read it right.

I think the question is a standard, not TL-R, Racing Ralph being used tubeless on a UST rim. If that is correct, then it probably won't work without some luck and a bunch of sealant basically gluing it in place.

The smart thing to do would be to not use the standard (performance line) RaRas and eat the return shipping to send them back for a set of TL-Ready (Schwalbe's exact terminology). If the TL-R is too expensive, choose a different tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    The OP's question was a bit confusing, but I think Bike Whisperer has actually read it right.

I think the question is a standard, not TL-R, Racing Ralph being used tubeless on a UST rim. If that is correct, then it probably won't work without some luck and a bunch of sealant basically gluing it in place.

The smart thing to do would be to not use the standard (performance line) RaRas and eat the return shipping to send them back for a set of TL-Ready (Schwalbe's exact terminology). If the TL-R is too expensive, choose a different tire.
    "greenerob's" heading to his post is:

"Non UST (TLR) Tires with UST Rims.......???"

Does that mean:

"Non UST but TLR" or Non "UST or TLR"

TLR in (parentheses) implies that Non UST = (TLR). Your guess is as good as mine.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sorry everyone. These are the TUBELESS READY versions, not the performance line.

Also, for what it is worth, they are NOT the snakeskin version.

I'll update the original post.

mtbr member
    Aha. Then post #3 is dead on.

I have never used UST tires on my UST wheels. I have had great success with tubeless ready Specialized and Geax tires, which both have the UST bead shape but don't have the heavy carcass that comes with a full UST tire.

The main reason I haven't tried Schwalbe yet is their cost and reputation for short life and fragility.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Most TLR tires have the same bead profile as a UST tire. They do not have a UST casing and require sealant to make the casing air tight. In fact it is the combination I prefer. TLR tires are generally lighter than UST tires. When I still rode with UST tires I found that I needed sealant anyway. I found I was checking and having to pump the tires before every ride. After adding sealant, problem solved.

If your Racing Ralphs are TLR they will work great.
    Hey Ronnie,

In your experience, how much sealant? Would it be the roughly the same amount I used on my Stans wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenerob View Post
    Hey Ronnie,

In your experience, how much sealant? Would it be the roughly the same amount I used on my Stans wheels?
    I have no personal experience with the Racing Ralph. I don't know how porous the side walls are but as they are high volume tires and 29", I suggest two scoops of Stan's. That is what I put into the Nobbby Nics I have used.

transmitter~receiver
    The question is very clear (looks like it was edited) and the answer is yes. Use 2(+) scoops of sealant to start.

Schwalbe TR tires have UST-spec beads. In fact, unless you get the Performance line (cheap), all Schwalbe mtb tires now have UST-spec beads.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenerob View Post
    I have done a search and found similar threads, but nothing exactly like my situation.

I have a set of Easton EA90 UST 29er wheels.

I have a set a Racing Ralphs EVO Tubeless Ready Tires (not Snakeskin) on the way.

Is it possible to run these tires without tubes?

Any recommendations?
    I have been running non-UST tires (not even tubeless ready) tubeless with some stans on my Mavic 819 UST rims for close to 4 years without any issues at all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I had some trouble using non ust tires on ust rims from mavic and shimano. There is a video on stans site that shows how easy a mix of tire and rim can burp air:
    Comparison test on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b1rdie View Post
    I had some trouble using non ust tires on ust rims from mavic and shimano. There is a video on stans site that shows how easy a mix of tire and rim can burp air:
    Comparison test on Vimeo
    That is typical. The stans video doesn't show you how awful the new stans BST rim is with a tire with a UST tire bead, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    I have been running non-UST tires (not even tubeless ready) tubeless with some stans on my Mavic 819 UST rims for close to 4 years without any issues at all.
    This is atypical but by no means impossible. Do they air up with a regular pump, or are you injecting sealant and using a compressor to seat the bead?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    That is typical. The stans video doesn't show you how awful the new stans BST rim is with a tire with a UST tire bead, though.

This is atypical but by no means impossible. Do they air up with a regular pump, or are you injecting sealant and using a compressor to seat the bead?
    No I just use a regular floor pump. I have run a Kenda Nevegal (2.35) , a Maxxis Ardent (2.25), Continental MK (I) 2.4 and recently a Maxxis Advantage Exo 2.4 without ever having a problem. All of these were regular non UST, non tubeless ready tires. I don't think I have ever burped a tire or anything. There have been tires that I just could not get to work tubeless (Nokian nbx) and and old Ritchey tire. Maybe I am just lucky or is it because I am using mostly "large tires"?