mtbr member
    May 2006

Listen! Are non-Black Chili Continental really that bad ?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy new tires on my loaner and commuter bikes and was thinking about fitting them all with Continental tires. I want to buy some of each :

-Baron 2,3 (20$ non-chili / 46$ APEX chili)
    -Trail King 2,2 (14$ non chili / 70$ UST chill)
    -Trail King 2,4 (20$ non-chili / 60$ UST chili)

These tires will be used hard on my FR/AM bike so I want wire bead or UST/APEX sidewalls, no folding only option because I've heard that the casings were too thin.

I thought about using an APEX+chili Baron 2,3 front and regular Baron 2,3 rear on my own bike, but everywhere I read, people say that the regular compound isn't worth anything in wet climates.

These will be used in wet areas with lots of rocks. I like low pressure and do pinch flat often.

I'm thinking that at 14$/TK2,2 and 20$/TK 2,4, it could be a good price to test the tread and get a feeel fr them. I can'T find any of these locally and have seen neither in real life.

Thanks for any info!

Ps: I've done a LOT of research and I'm set on this brand + models.

I'm with stupid
    I have run both the Non BC trailking 2.4's and the UST 2.4 and 2.2 BC. The BC is way better then the non BC when it comes to wet rocks, I dont think anything grips well on wet roots. I would say that yes spend the extra coin to put a great set of rubber on the loaner/back up. I have run a non BC and a BC at the same time to do that test and the non BC can feel a bit scary on wet stuff where the BC gripped better. I am not saying that the non BC tires suck super bad but you can tell that the rubber compound is lacking in the wet department. The casting size is also a bit different with the BC line being a bit bigger then the wire bead non BC because of they are from different factories with different molds. If you trying to save money run a BC up front and non BC in the rear. Grippy rubber on the front is well worth the extra coin on wet stuff, a whole lot cheaper then a Dr, or DDS when the front is gone all of a sudden.

ups and downs
    The standard rubber versions are really just regular tires, the Black Chili versions do have lower rolling resistance and amazingly good grip on wet surfaces. They work well on wet wood surfaces as long as the wood doesn't have that lovely rain forest slime on them, nothing helps with the slime, but plain ol' wet roots and bridge decks they are really effective.

When I switched my new Instinct 970's OEM standard folding bead Mountain King tires to the ProTection versions with Black Chili rubber, they rolled faster and quieter at the same pressure.

Give the ProTection versions a whirl, they have the reinforced sidewalls to make them less prone to pinch flats and abrasions, and they have BC rubber.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for your replies. I've done hours of research and went to 5 bike shops and nobody had the tires in stock and/or had info on the wire bead versions.

I am also wondering about the sidewalls as I ride in pretty rocky terrain and cuts are frequent. Still tempted to get some of the cheap 2.2 and 2.4 TK at 14$/tire to test the tred pattern before "committing" to 65$/tire. (I have 3 bikes to refresh).

But if the wire bead versions have paper thin sidewalls I'll just look elsewhere or get a single pair of Apex Black Chili Barons. Call me old school, but I like the wire options as I've had a few falls due to the front kevlar tire popping out in low pressures.

Thanks for your inputs, very appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guim View Post
    Thanks for your replies. I've done hours of research and went to 5 bike shops and nobody had the tires in stock and/or had info on the wire bead versions.

I am also wondering about the sidewalls as I ride in pretty rocky terrain and cuts are frequent. Still tempted to get some of the cheap 2.2 and 2.4 TK at 14$/tire to test the tred pattern before "committing" to 65$/tire. (I have 3 bikes to refresh).

But if the wire bead versions have paper thin sidewalls I'll just look elsewhere or get a single pair of Apex Black Chili Barons. Call me old school, but I like the wire options as I've had a few falls due to the front kevlar tire popping out in low pressures.

Thanks for your inputs, very appreciated.
    I do run contis for a while now, and can tell you the chili is a very sticky compound, but only good as a front tire. Rear one will let you with a couple knobs out almost after every ride. So I would NOT suggest the pair.

Now I am using non-bc tk front and x-k rear and they work incredibly well. I usually ride in dry, dusty conditions and sometimes, even rocky sections and these have never let me down. I must agree these are the foldable ones, not wired.
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks Helmetless, great info added.

I have bought and installed the Baron 2.3 wire version (non BC rubber) and was quite surprised of the quality. Sidewalls are thick, rubber seems not too bad, they went on easy but tight on the rim, and I didn't see any wobble in the casing/knobs as others have mentionned. I have paid 20$/tire and they don't feel like cheap tires at all!

The weight is more than mentionned (1050g instead of 980g) and they are quite slim compared to my 2.35 Nevegals. Casing height with knobs is about the same. I like a bigger volume tire so I'll try the 2.4 Trail King in the same rubber compound I think. I really like those thick sidewalls (APEX maybe ? in-between a UST and folding tire) so I'm hoping the wire 2.4 TK will have those also.

I did not have the chance to try them out because the trails here are still under snow, but I'll try them as soon as I can before buying the Trail Kings. I might go with one BC and one non-BC to try both compounds.