mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Nokian NBT (as seen on KONA): any info. ?

Hello,

I have noticed that some Kona bikes come with some unknown (at least to me) Nokian tyre: NBT 2.3 (2006 "Back Country" serie) and NBT 2.1 (2006 "Cross Country" serie, 2005 "Back Country" serie). BTW: More expensive bikes get NBX and not NBT.

I'm curious about what these might be. Are they the same profile as the NBX 2.1 and NBX 2.3 with a cheaper compound/thread ? The sites of shiggy or Nokian don't give any info. about those. Does Nokian also produce NBT 2.0 and NBT 2.2 with the profile of NBX Lite ? I'm wondering if the choice of NBT by Kona is somehow an "endorsement" by Kona for the NBX's profile.

Happy trails
    Olivier from sunny Luxemburg

BTW: I'm personnally after a Nokian tyre for "regular cross-country" with my 3" full suspension FRM. My priorities are grip, confidence, safety and reasonnable durability. I enjoy riding 500km a year, and never ever races, although I sometimes have to chase my friends that ride much faster than myself ;-) Lightweight and low rolling resistance are nice extras but they come afterwards. Looking at Kona's choices, I felt that NBX 2.1, as supposedly speced on reasonably priced "Cross Country" bikes might be the best match for my requirements. If and only if NBT is indeed close to NBX...

Crainius Maximus
    Oct 2005
    I'm gonna drag this thread back to the top...

Do any of you have opinions about Nokian's NBT tire? I haven't had a chance to try them out on the trail much yet and was curious to see how they stack up. I can't find ANY info on them...

-Jordan

thats right living legend

I've gottem.

I'm runing a pair of NBT 2.3s that came on a Kona Unit SS I picked up slightly used. I've only had one full ride on them, but so far there pretty awsome. I've never heard of them either and can't find "em anywhere also. But they hook up great and roll better than any 2.3" tire I've yet tried.

ups and downs
    I've run the NBX 2.1's for hardtail cross country use with good success. Less puncture prone than the Conti Vapor's. The NBT's look a lot like the NBX lite with fairly shallow knobs and wide knob spacing. Are the NBT's wire or kevlar beads?