Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    354

    Nobby Nic replacement. Which Maxxis tire?

    Hi guys.
    I'm running a 2015 Nobby Nic 2.35" 29 tire on DT swiss ID25mm rim up front. It's the Tubeless Easy with Snakeskin, before Addix came out.

    It's getting to the end of its life and had a good run. Tubeless setup at about 23PSI.

    I'd like to replace it soon and I'm having a good experience with Maxxis tires and can get a good deal on them.
    My riding is mostly in Southern Ontario single-track for XC and aggressive XC (rooty, sandy, rock garden-y) but no massive drops and mostly in drier conditions.

    I'm looking for a good balance between cornering bite and rolling weight. Hoping to keep it under 800g and would prefer at least a 2.3" up front.

    I have a Maxxis Ignitor 2.35" out back with EXO that I like and was setup quite easily for Tubeless (the NN was a pain to get setup and needed almost twice the amount of sealant to hold air).

    What do you think of the Forekaster or maybe the 2.4" ardent up front? I like the Ignitor on the back, was thinking of maybe trying one up front but haven't thought I may want something a bit more aggressive in the tread.

    Your thoughts appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    770

    Nobby Nic replacement. Which Maxxis tire?

    Not sure about Maxxis, but you could try the Michelin Force AM tires, the profile is a little bit similar.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shadow4eva; 1 Week Ago at 09:03 AM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    203
    Maxxis tires tend to come up smaller than advertised. Thatís why I wound up going with NN instead of forekasters. For some reason I also struggled to get my NN to seat tubeless. However, once I resorted to going to the bike shop to borrow their compressor, theyíve held air better than any tire Iíve used before. Go figure.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,141
    If you run across a 35mm inner width rim front wheel you could go with a Bontrager XR2 2.35 Team. It's high volume with a very rounded tread profile. That's why the wider rim works. 14 psi or less for a front in your terrain. It rolls fast and lasts. Bigger footprint and slow predictable slide out.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    389
    Maybe Maxxis Recon or Conti Trail King or maybe I'm thinking of the wind tire.

    Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    983
    I don't think Maxxis has a tyre that compares to the Nobby Nic, it's just that good at what it does.

    I can say that tubless setup issues are 9 times out of 10 just a matter of knowing the tyre:rim fit and taping accordingly. Some tyres fit tighter on some rims, another layer of tape helps more than extra sealant.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    539
    Sorry to disagree GRPABTI, but I think the Forekaster does most things better than the Nobby Nic after riding both. They are so similar in casing size and knob size and placement. They are both good trail tires (between XC and Enduro). I was happy with the Nobby Nic until I swapped wheels with my wife and found the Forekasters even better, IMO.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    354
    Thanks all,
    good comments here. Actually the more I'm reading, the more I think it makes sense to look at other options outside of Maxxis (like the Michelin or Bonti suggestions).
    That give me more to go with.

    In truth I dig the NN and like how it performs, but was frustrated with the tubeless (although I know some of that for sure is human error). Maybe the Addix version might also be a consideration. Anyone try to run an Addix NN tubeless?

    Would something like a Vittoria Mezcal be worth considering?
    Please keep the suggestions coming.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher11 View Post
    Would something like a Vittoria Mezcal be worth considering?
    Please keep the suggestions coming.
    I don't believe the Mezcal would provide the grip of the Nobby Nic. I have a 2.25 Nobby Nic on the front and love it for XC racing/riding. It corners well for me and seems to roll fast for an aggressive XC tire.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5
    I will keep tabs on this thread, as I ride similar conditons. Oklahoma has too much pedaling and not enough tech for full DH tires, but enough roots, sand, and rocks to necessitate more bite than XC tires.

    So far I have been looking at the Aggressor, Rekon, Ardent, and High Roller. I have an Ardent 2.25" on the front of my 29" hard tail, and I am not a fan of the side knob transition. It might make a good rear tire in 2.4" on the back of my 27.5" 130mm travel trail bike, though, with something like an Aggressor, Forekaster, or High Roller up front. I have also read great things about the Rekon as a rear tire, but it is the most expensive option.

    My trail bike came with Hans Damfs, but the durability has been poor, and the rear is a little draggy. I like it up front, though.

    Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: whtdel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher11 View Post
    Thanks all,
    In truth I dig the NN and like how it performs, but was frustrated with the tubeless (although I know some of that for sure is human error). Maybe the Addix version might also be a consideration. Anyone try to run an Addix NN tubeless?
    Please keep the suggestions coming.
    Ideally, when out of the box, it should be mounted with a tube, and left over night to allow the casing/bead to get the correct shape ... but if like me, you are too lazy to wait, I mount them tubeless right out of the box. In such, using a compressor, soaping the bead, removing the valve core and blasting air inside the tire, will all contribute to your succes. I set the max pressure to about 40 psi, which has always been enough to allow the bead to sit in place.

  12. #12
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,156
    OP, one question first up, you actually have a 2.35" 29" Ignitor, it's not a fictional tyre? I ask as I've seen it a few places advertised, but Maxxis has never shown the Ignitor available in that size, ever on their site. As for possible options, you could try a 29x2.4" Rekon or even the 2.6", as Maxxis tyres tend to run true to size, mostly when inflated to max PSI, and a bit smaller at riding PSI.

    Bahahahaha Thanks for that man, needed a good laugh

    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I don't think Maxxis has a tyre that compares to the Nobby Nic, it's just that good at what it does.

    I can say that tubless setup issues are 9 times out of 10 just a matter of knowing the tyre:rim fit and taping accordingly. Some tyres fit tighter on some rims, another layer of tape helps more than extra sealant.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,702
    I like the Forkaster on the Rear. But wish they made a 3c version outside of the 2.6 size. The XR4 is a similar tier.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manitou2200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,981
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhammer View Post
    Maxxis tires tend to come up smaller than advertised.
    Thatís very old and outdated hype. The current Maxxis tires are actually trues to spec that can be verified with a micrometer.

    In ran Schwalbes for years after my Kenda years. They were good and high volume, descent traction but kind of fragile overall outside of the SG series. I still have a few NN, HD and RRís.

    In Maxxis Iíd suggest the Rekon in 2.4 and 2.6 EXO and either the DC or 3C depending on needs. Iím currently running Ardent 2.4 as a rear with Minions or Rekon 2.6 or as a front with the Ikon 2.35. I also run Minions, DHF 2.5 and DHR II 2.3. But Iíd suggest for the OP the Rekon 2.6 and 2.4. Theyíre much better all around than the Ardent but would pair well with and Ardent, Ardent Race or Ikon in the rear.


    Function in disaster, finish in style!
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Thatís very old and outdated hype. The current Maxxis tires are actually trues to spec that can be verified with a micrometer.

    In ran Schwalbes for years after my Kenda years. They were good and high volume, descent traction but kind of fragile overall outside of the SG series. I still have a few NN, HD and RRís.

    In Maxxis Iíd suggest the Rekon in 2.4 and 2.6 EXO and either the DC or 3C depending on needs. Iím currently running Ardent 2.4 as a rear with Minions or Rekon 2.6 or as a front with the Ikon 2.35. I also run Minions, DHF 2.5 and DHR II 2.3. But Iíd suggest for the OP the Rekon 2.6 and 2.4. Theyíre much better all around than the Ardent but would pair well with and Ardent, Ardent Race or Ikon in the rear.


    Function in disaster, finish in style!
    Iíve gotta agree here. I keep hearing this stuff but every Maxxis Iíve mounted in the last 2-3 years (at least 30-40 tires) has been right at the listed width. But thatís only putting proper width tires on proper width rims and inflating to the max psi initially. I guess if you do it wrong or mount inappropriate rim/tire combos you might get narrower widths than advertised.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

  16. #16
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Rekon or Forkaster I'd say.

    I'm a big fan of big knobs but for xc riding that's overkill. I've seen some really skilled riders riding real slick trails with no much tire.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manitou2200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,981
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Iíve gotta agree here. I keep hearing this stuff but every Maxxis Iíve mounted in the last 2-3 years (at least 30-40 tires) has been right at the listed width. But thatís only putting proper width tires on proper width rims and inflating to the max psi initially. I guess if you do it wrong or mount inappropriate rim/tire combos you might get narrower widths than advertised.
    I mean yeah, that statement was true 10-12 years ago. I had high rollers that were listed at 2.3 or 2.35 and measured 2.2 barely. Minions have always been on their own and not small. I canít say this for fact but 2.35 Ikon, 2.4 Ardents and 2.5 DHF all share the same size casings.

    Since weíre talking tires. I believe Conti has the best rubber and some good tire designs but their sizing and tire designs are all over the place. Great tires and absolute shit tires. Their quality is good especially the German stuff but sizes and tread designs are whacked.


    Function in disaster, finish in style.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    196
    Bontrager XR4 ticks all your boxes. Currently running XR4 front XR3 rear both 29x2.4 on my HT for fast flowy dry (before hurricane) trails. Very pleased with this setup. Both measure 2.45-2.5 on Derby 29.5ID rims.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    OP, one question first up, you actually have a 2.35" 29" Ignitor, it's not a fictional tyre? I ask as I've seen it a few places advertised, but Maxxis has never shown the Ignitor available in that size, ever on their site. As for possible options, you could try a 29x2.4" Rekon or even the 2.6", as Maxxis tyres tend to run true to size, mostly when inflated to max PSI, and a bit smaller at riding PSI.

    Bahahahaha Thanks for that man, needed a good laugh
    Thanks guys, good suggestions again.

    Yeah I thought the same thing about the 2.35" Ignitor. I picked it up on ChainReactionCycles.com about a year ago and half expected it to arrive in Canada with a 2.1" tire that was mis-labled. To my surprise (and relief) it was actually a 2.35"
    I'll snap a pic when I get home from work.

    I'm glad some of you are finding the Maxxis tires currently are up to their advertised width. I also heard they were undersized, but seems like that's old news.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FeedTheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    78

    Nobby Nic replacement. Which Maxxis tire?

    Iím running the new Nobby Nic 27.5x2.6Ē front and rear on Stanís Flow (id29) rims and I set them up tubeless with Stanís tape and sealant without any issues but I think I used an air compressor at my job to inflate and I let them sit for a couple days at 35-40 PSI. I donít have a ton of different tire experience but they are great tires. Didnít weigh them but I think the listed weight is 810-860 for the 2.6Ē? 130mm travel hardtail.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTerp View Post
    Bontrager XR4 ticks all your boxes. Currently running XR4 front XR3 rear both 29x2.4 on my HT for fast flowy dry (before hurricane) trails. Very pleased with this setup. Both measure 2.45-2.5 on Derby 29.5ID rims.
    I'm building up a xc/trail 29er and the plan is to give that very set up a try. I've heard great things about them.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I'm building up a xc/trail 29er and the plan is to give that very set up a try. I've heard great things about them.
    If your trails are dry, they work well. Pretty fast tire. I dont like them once things get slick.

  23. #23
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    If your trails are dry, they work well. Pretty fast tire. I dont like them once things get slick.
    Maybe the XR4 on both ends?

    Yeah, we are often slick around here. Not muddy slick, but wet rocks and roots slick.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Maybe the XR4 on both ends?

    Yeah, we are often slick around here. Not muddy slick, but wet rocks and roots slick.
    I did XR4 front and rear. Was great until the rocks and roots got wet, rarely ride mud since our trails close then.They were a bit skittish on slick rocks the bike came from under me on some roots. Hopefully next year will be dryer(Mid Atlantic got record rain this year) because i like them a lot.

  25. #25
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,601
    I'm not sure there is a tire that does good on wet rocks and roots.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I'm not sure there is a tire that does good on wet rocks and roots.
    A clipped DHR2 is less scary. Wich is my preference. Predictionable at least.4

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    223
    I rode some rain with an Assegai and it thoroughly impressed me. Those big ol' nubs are absurdly soft- in the future, if I want a tire that is as much for slick rocks and roots as one can be, I'ma probably go with a Maxxis with whatever the hell rubber compound this is.

  28. #28
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,156
    Guess you'll only be running 1200g tyres in the future then, because AFAIK, all that come with Maxx Grip (that compound) are all on some serious strong/heavy casings. A friend has one of the Assegais on the front of his Ripmo and compared to a 3C Maxx Terra compound DHF, the 3C MT feels like hard plastic nearly it's that soft, so great for maximum traction/grip going DH, but sucks to pedal.

    Quote Originally Posted by phuchmileif View Post
    I rode some rain with an Assegai and it thoroughly impressed me. Those big ol' nubs are absurdly soft- in the future, if I want a tire that is as much for slick rocks and roots as one can be, I'ma probably go with a Maxxis with whatever the hell rubber compound this is.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by phuchmileif View Post
    I rode some rain with an Assegai and it thoroughly impressed me. Those big ol' nubs are absurdly soft- in the future, if I want a tire that is as much for slick rocks and roots as one can be, I'ma probably go with a Maxxis with whatever the hell rubber compound this is.
    This tire is awsome. Too grippy for our peddly trails. Keeping it for park rides. If they make it in Exo maxxterra I'm on it.

  30. #30
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Assegai - for DH, with the true DH casing, that tire has replaced my DHF/DHR2. Its _that_ good. A bit draggy, but super grippy.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    43
    Set up schwalbe nn 2.25 on stans i21 back tubeless no problems. Mm 2.35 front. Probably used compressor though. All new Addix. But very easy stuff. Running on my 27.5 ht.

    Now got fs genius 700 tuned and love the rekon 2.8 maxxterra front 2.8 maxspeed back on dt i30.

    Will change ht to rekon 2.4 dual rear / 2.6 3c terra front. And get new i30 dt 1700 wheels to carry them.
    I love the big rekon stuff. Tried 2.8 on i40 and too low pressure and they drag but on i30 and just adequate pressure to use the hard part of the rubber and they just roll fast.

Similar Threads

  1. Which tires to run? Maxxis ardent race vs schwalbe nobby nic
    By ded flatbird in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-11-2018, 11:38 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-03-2018, 04:48 PM
  3. 27.5x2.6 Rear Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic or Maxxis Forekaster???
    By Rockohaulic in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-27-2017, 11:54 PM
  4. Nobby nic vs nobby nic
    By crux in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 08:17 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 08:21 PM

Members who have read this thread: 169

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.