mtbr member
    Jan 2009

nobby nic for rear

Is the nobby nic (new version) a good tyre for all year round all mountain aggressive use?

Of course, the tyre will be for rear use only.

Everyone raves in tests and forums, how good rolling resistance it has for such an aggressive tread.

The grip, though, is it good for medium, hardpack, loose and especially for wet and slightly muddy conditions?

I guess the speedgrip compound will offer better traction in wet conditions compared to the pacestar, and i hope it will also offer better durability/mileage.

How does it compare to dhr2 and aggressor?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just put a NN on the back of my Ibis. Not enough time to have a real opinion but I am liking it so far. I'm noticing the usual feedback, rolls pretty good, grips pretty good, etc. I'll know more in a couple months, otherwise I'm watching your thread for more opinions!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have it on the rear. Rolls fast, light, and grips well. In the wet, it has a tendency to cake up with mud. And the wet grip on smoother surfaces such as rocks and roots aren't as good as it is when it's dry. I wouldn't take it to a muddy trail. Nor would I take it to a wet rocky/rooty trail and ride too aggressively. It's an all rounder. If you want better wet grip, I'd suggest a Hans Dampf in the rear instead. Think of the HD as a more aggressive NN.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks, any other nobby nic users?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Aggressive riding and Nobby Nic do not belong in the same sentence. If you actually ride it hard the side knobs will start undercutting & tearing after 2-3 weeks of use, and I didn't even take it to a bike park. I also wasn't impressed by the grip and the tire's breakaway characteristics are scary. When you hit the tire's cornering limit, it lets go abruptly with little warning and the wheel slides out hard & fast. There's very little resistance once it breaks traction which makes slide recovery very difficult, it's not like a DHR2 where there's a fair amount of resistance to work with even when the tire breaks loose and starts sliding. When the NN is gone, it's gone.

IMO the NN is a good trail tire for riders who aren't laying their bikes over hard or drifting into corners. For moderate riding they're pretty decent, but not for hard aggressive riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    oK AERIUS, but which tyre is good for year round aggressive riding that has a very low rolling resistance?

I think that nobby nic is the closer it gets to that...

mtbr member
    You may want to add more info. What do you consider aggressive riding? Is it really wet out your way? Rocky, rooty, sandy, loamy, all of the above? What might work for trail riding here in Utah (the NoNi is fine) may not work as a downhill tire in the winter in Scotland.
    Most of the complaints regarding the NoNi are pre-2015 and there is little data yet on the Addix, but my Addix Rocket Rons are wearing well in Utah.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sundace View Post
    oK AERIUS, but which tyre is good for year round aggressive riding that has a very low rolling resistance?

I think that nobby nic is the closer it gets to that...
    You're looking for a mythical tire that does not exist.
    Aggressive riding, year round, low rolling resistance - pick 2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My 2 cents. I really like the NN for a rear for what I would call moderate/aggressive trail/enduro riding. I have experienced the sudden slideout a couple times mentioned above, but the main problem I've had with Schwalbe tires on the rear is sidewall cuts (including SnakeSkin/DD versions). Lots of sharp rocks around here.

I'm really torn between staying with NN and bumping the size up to 2.6 for a more rounded profile (25mm ID rims) to get the knobs to stick out a bit farther or switching brands. Current top alternate candidates are Maxxis Aggressor 2.3 EXO, WTB Breakout or Bontrager XR4 2.35/XE4 2.2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I use a 2.6 on a ~25mm rim for that exact reason, it helps get the knobs further out as surpsingly the NN 2.6 knobs don't extend around very far. It does look after the sidewalls very well, however cuts in the tread pattern on the sharp rocks I often ride are still problematic (and have required patching from the inside).

IMO the surprising positive of the NN is how well it rolls. Compared to tyres like the DHR2 I found it to roll much faster. Cornering traction isn't as good, but not terrible, however braking traction is certainly not as good. Again, this is dry loose conditions with sharp rocks.

In terms of wear rate, mine is a Pacestar compound (pre-Addix) and wearing very well - the knobs look fine. Ironically I don't really care, I'm keen for something a bit more aggressive (particularly in terms of braking) however I've spent too much money on tyres recently to continue swapping them out before it's necessary.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    You may want to add more info. What do you consider aggressive riding? Is it really wet out your way? Rocky, rooty, sandy, loamy, all of the above? What might work for trail riding here in Utah (the NoNi is fine) may not work as a downhill tire in the winter in Scotland.
    Most of the complaints regarding the NoNi are pre-2015 and there is little data yet on the Addix, but my Addix Rocket Rons are wearing well in Utah.

my terrain is a mix of loose, loose over hardpack, medium, hardpack. Sometimes about 30% there are some rocks and about 20% wet/slight mud.

Aggressive riding is what it is, something between all mountain and dh riding in terms of speed.

For these conditions, i want an all around rear tyre with low rolling resistance, cause i have lots of uphill pedalling.

DHR2 dual is my current rear tyre, it is really good, but want something faster rolling.

My thoughts are trying either the aggressor, or the nobby nic addix or the new 2018 mountain king or the morsa.

mtbr member
    I'm using the Trail Star NN in 2.35 on the rear. It feels pretty good so far. I'm pretty happy with the traction, braking, and weight. My trails are mostly loose over hard...hardpack with some rocks thrown in.

mtbr member
    Schwalbe tires are fine up front ^^

Just keep em away from the rear when rocks are around >.<

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    This comparison was from late 2015 and includes the post 2015 Nobby Nic design. It was done in the Pacific Northwest which sounds similar to your conditions, though the test was in dry conditions.

https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...tcherpurgatory

This MTBR thread might help:
    Nobby-Nic evo vs Hans Dampf for rear tire... Or something else!

The NoNI will roll way better than the DHR and the Hans Dampf Addix may roll better, but only you can decide how much grip (and durability) you're willing to give up for speed.

If you can fit 2.6", I'd go with the NoNi Addix. The bigger tire will wear way better and the grip will be better as well on the wider tire. I'm becoming convinced that 2.6" is a sweet spot in size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It's just not a durable rear tire. Just put a huge hole in the center of the tread from a sharp rock in the new Addix compound nobby nic 2.35 tire on the very first ride. Would not seal with sealant and had to put a tube in to finish the ride. When I got home tried to seal it with a truck tire plug but that blew out and I had to put a patch from inside. In addition, didn't feel the first puncture, was descending fast, and got a second puncture just adjacent to the bead as the tire flattened out. Fortunately this sealed with a truck tire plug at home. So, not real impressed with the claims of increased durability.
    It also rains almost nightly here in Hawaii and the trails are always slick with greasy off camber exposed roots and rocks the next day. Traction in these conditions is not good, & it does let go without warning as well, which is very scary. I'm switching to a Maxxis tire. aerius is right, pick 2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdev1 View Post
    It's just not a durable rear tire. Just put a huge hole in the center of the tread from a sharp rock in the new Addix compound nobby nic 2.35 tire on the very first ride. Would not seal with sealant and had to put a tube in to finish the ride. When I got home tried to seal it with a truck tire plug but that blew out and I had to put a patch from inside. In addition, didn't feel the first puncture, was descending fast, and got a second puncture just adjacent to the bead as the tire flattened out.
    Sorry to hear, however it's nice to hear that it's not just me having this problem!

It's also interesting to read about your issues with it letting go without warning. I feel the same way about the NN, although to me that's something that I specifically dislike for a front tyre more than a rear - I'm comfortable having the rear hang a bit but the last thing I want is a front-end washout. Tyres with a clear transition zone that have some give and then grab let you know when you're approaching the limit, and sometimes it's not outright grip that matters but confidence/feel.

Co Springs
    Got the 650b NN that came on my bike. Wanted to shop for a next tire if / when I found a sale price and recently decided to try out the Rocket Ron for the rear when the NN wears thin.
    So far the Factory tires are working great and I'm not sure I need the tighter knobby on the RR although it appears better for loose stuff under power at the rear wheel.... just not sure I'll need anything more than the NN delivers. I don't ride in much choppy sharp rocks so the tire integrity (seems to be a compromise) isn't a big issue for me.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just say have to say I still have the scrapes, bumps, and bruises from 2 no warning rear washouts on the NN this past weekend. The bike was running 2.35/2.25 NN. They washed out without warning on loose dry stuff. No skid, no bite back...just wash out and eat dirt. Normal loose dirt is OK. But I inadvertently got on descent with loose leaves and gravel and it was terrible. It was loose stuff, but I wasn't riding on a leafy beach either. Totally ruined my ride and rest of my week here as I try to recover. Even on just dry parts (without leaves or gravel), I found the skid to be very difficult to control. I might be how the tire behaves if you lock-up the rear tire.
    I already dropped the PSI, before going on my descent after climbing, but personally I prefer a tire not be so sensitive to PSI to achieve optimal performance. Either way, this is one of most unpredictable tires I've ever rode.

mtbr member
    Today (got wet and slippery in PacNW) I used NoNi SS Speedgrip 2.25 on rear with Magic Mary SS Soft 2.35 front. Worked great and MUCH better than NoNi SS Speedgrip 2.60 front and either RaRa or RoRo SS Speed 2.25 rear. But I'd say that it was the Magic mary that made the biggest diff.