mtbr member

Nobby Nic protection/durability

How's the Schwalbe NN for protection? I've heard the RoRo and RaRa are fairly fragile, particularly when it comes to sidewall cuts, so I'm leaning toward the Nobby Nic. According to the Schwalbe site, it's a step up on the protection scale.

Is the Snakeskin or Double Defense version the only way to get reliable protection out of these tires or can the regular version be OK for trail riding?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

www.derbyrims.com
    IMO, tires with edge knobs significantly wider than the tire sidewall is the major protection when riding in abrasive rocky and eroded rut conditions. The NN is light weight for it's volume and appears to have a sidewall that is as wide or wider than the edge knobs, so without a heavy "snakeskin" sidewall would be cut easily when riding through rocks and ruts.

Competent User

Nobby Nic protection/durability

I rode a performance NN on my 29er all summer in New England, tubeless and never had a problem. It's very rocky where I ride, and you could see the threads on the sidewall, but I didn't lose air or get a sidewall cut. I replaced it after maybe 400 hard miles, but it might have kept going for a while more. It depends a little on your luck, I think. I'd cut sidewalks on the rear three times before I switched to tubeless.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    I have trashed lots of RoRo as they have a paper thin carcass and the flint around here slices them to pieces, I have ridden A Hans Dampf which has snakes skin sidewalls on my Mountain Uni and have had no problem with the flint at all, I can see the slice marks on the surface but they have held up fine. Going on this I have just put some NN SnakeSkin tyres on my 29er build which I htink are fantastic, the slightly stiffer sidewalls help the tyre ate low tubless pressures.

I have long since given up being uber WW on tyres, fixing punctures or walking miles with a slashed tyre is not worth it, everything else is fair game for a bit of weight weeniism though

mtbr member
    These are surprisingly hard tires to find in snakeskin. Other than eBay, does anyone have a source?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    I ride Snakeskin Evo Nobby Nics through anything. Tough tires right there, no issues with sealant seeping through or sidewall cuts, as so many report with Racing Ralphs. They really are tougher tires.

74 & 29 pilot
    I put a hole in the sidewall of a NN 2.25 pacestar 650b tire in 16 miles here in AZ. It didn't have Snakeskin, but my HD does and is holding up fine.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks. I'm actually looking for a 26" x 2.25. I see a few 2.4's but most places are out of stock on the 2.25 snakeskins. Tough one to find!

Commit or eat sh!t
    I put sidewall tears on both UST and tubeless ready Snakeskin versions (like 3-4 tires) of NN. Depends on the trails and how you ride though I guess. Seals up pretty easily for tubeless. I personally would not run them again.

mtbr member
    I just bought a set of NN's in a 2.25 with Snakeskin on Ebay for $125 + shipping. Time to give 'em a try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    These are surprisingly hard tires to find in snakeskin. Other than eBay, does anyone have a source?
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Tubeless Ready 29er Tire HS411

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have been running performance nn on back and rocks due show more wear but have yet to cut a tire on rocky granite...tubeless with Stan's

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I run a NN 2.25 snake skin EVO on the rear. Never had a problem with the side walls and this is my third tire. Wear of the knobbys, that's another story..............

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    for next time - try bike-discount.de for lower prices, they have the same tire for $37 ea.

DFMBA.org

Re: Nobby Nic protection/durability

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    I ride Snakeskin Evo Nobby Nics through anything. Tough tires right there, no issues with sealant seeping through or sidewall cuts, as so many report with Racing Ralphs. They really are tougher tires.
    ^^^ This, but I do have some seeping issues on the middle parting line of one tire. Hasn't affected performance and pressure loss is negligible.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Competent User
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    for next time - try bike-discount.de for lower prices, they have the same tire for $37 ea.
    And $26 shipping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    And $26 shipping.
    Yes, so order more than 1 tire. (I paid $28cdn to ship 4 tires)

mtbr member
    I had a non-snakeskin version of NN. Cut the Rode it for a month before getting a repairable sidewall cut, and then later a bigger one. Meanwhile, the tread wear was faster than any other tire I have used so far. The knobs start undercutting, and then tearing. Not as good of traction as my X-king either. Would not use again, for sure without snakeskin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Snakeskin all the way. I wouldn't by a Schwalbe without it. The best tires I've used.
    At what point did you decide you needed more than 1 gear?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Three weeks in: One sidewall cut, one cut through the carcass between tread blocks, ripped one tread block off the carcass. Three long walks back to civilization.. lots of frustration. The tires are sticky as all get out, but I'm running them tubed now, because walking sucks!

Will be replacing with Maxxis just as soon as I can. NEVER tore a tread block off any of their tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ran NN's all last year, and plan to keep them on this year until they wear out. Running 2.4 front, 2.25 rear. Rear with snakeskin. Went through (3) rear tires last year, and I'm only a weekend warrior. Ride mix of terrain, but quite rocky here in Central PA. The weak point on the NN's is cutting of the knobs, and holes in the tread after time. After a few months of use, I can see the Stan's bleeding through (doing it's job) filling all the small holes in the tread. This will continue until the Stan's just can't keep up, and I end up with a flat. Sidewalls have held up fine, no cuts. I run relatively low PSI too - 23 front, 25 rear.

I'm going to switch over to something else this summer. Either Hans Dampf or Conti Trail or Mtn. Kings.

mtbr member
    NN's on my Trek Superfly XC bike and Hans Dampf on my new Cannondale Trigger trail bike. Snakeskin EVO and Stans goo. Stans Crest wheels on both. Unbelievable tires. I ride on lots of rocks and sharp sticks every where. I get lots of punctures and they seal immediately. The traction is fantastic especially at the low pressures you can run with the tubeless.