Thread: Nobby Nic Life?

mtbr member

Nobby Nic Life?

My 27.5x2.35 rear is roached after only ~500 miles. Is this normal? Someone actually mentioned they were impressed I got "that" much out of them. This was the PaceStar, so "should" have better life than the TrailStar, right?
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Land of the 230+
    I guess it all depends on the conditions you ride. I ride the 2.8 NNs on mostly buff singletrack with rooty climbs, but few rocks. Theyre well over 1000 miles, the front looks almost new, and the rear still has life left. I have two spares sitting in my garage, but the tires just keep going. I will say that the grip is not what I remember it being when I first put them on, but thats not to say its bad either.

But if you ride a lot of rock or harder conditions, I could see these things wearing down a lot sooner.

mtbr member
    PaceStar is a harder rubber compound and thus lasts longer than the softer TrailStar

The new Addix Speedgrip should improve both on grip and wear

mtbr member
    The brand as a whole isn't known for longevity. I really like my NN's and HD's though!

mtbr member
    NoNi Pacestar on the rear after 400 miles in Utah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nobby Nic Life?-20160822_120418a.jpg  

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    In the dusty, rocky socal trails I ride, they didn't even come close to 500 miles. Liked the weight, though. Rolled real nice.

mtbr member
    The new Nobby Nic is way better than the old Nobby Nic. The old one would get tore up in a few rocky rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    NoNi Pacestar on the rear after 400 miles in Utah.
    Yeah the cross cuts on the center nobs of mine are completely gone after 500.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Yeah the cross cuts on the center nobs of mine are completely gone after 500.
    These, of course are the newer design NoNi's. I don't consider this excessively worn at 400 miles. I'd think there is plenty of life left in the tire after the small horizontal sipes are gone. From your short description I was expecting knobs were gone or worn way down or the side knobs were completely undercut. Do you have a picture?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    The new Nobby Nic is way better than the old Nobby Nic. The old one would get tore up in a few rocky rides.
    The "New" one is on its third season....the "New new" one Addix, is just out and claims to be more durable.

I like Schwalbe's tires, but I tear them up quickly when pushing hard on rocky trails.

mtbr member
    My 27.5x2.35 rear is roached after only ~500 miles. Is this normal? Someone actually mentioned they were impressed I got "that" much out of them. This was the PaceStar, so "should" have better life than the TrailStar, right?
    500 miles!?

I got about 50 before my 2.25 Psc started melting

I've used Hans Dampfs up front... They last twice as long on point

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member

Count me impressed you got that much life from them, that's a good 450 miles more then I ever got from one.
    Schwable make good race tires, as in they last for the length of a race and not much more.

Land of the 230+
    Glad to see that my needs fall well below the threshold where these tires start to fall apart...

Or is this just the bike tire equivalent of a ford vs chevy pissing contest?

mtbr member
    I think it's probably terrain and riding style. If everyone else had as bad of experience as I with Schwable, they wouldn't still be in business.

For what it's worth, I've never gotten to the point that the center tread wears out, it's that the side knobs tear off, and then the tires are useless in any sort of corner.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I have 350 on my NN's. Riding 2 miles of road to the trail and back does more wear than the dirt trails. Front looks almost new. Rear has about 2/3 life left. I usually get 700-1000 miles of of a rear and 2X for the front. Tires over 2 years old should be replaced anyway as the rubber breaks down.
    We just did an Oregon trip with 18 guys and killed 5 tires: 2 Nobby Nics, 1 Magic Mary, 1 WTB Vigilante, 1 DHR II. Burped a newly installed DHF too.
    3 Guys had the new Addix NN and all of them survived.