Ground Pounder

No More IRC Mibro UST 2.25s? No More IRC bicycle tires?

I can't find them from a reliable source online any longer. I checked their website and it's loading an annoying redirect holding (?) page, that has happened in the past with them though... Price Point says they won't be stocking them anymore.

Is IRC defunct? If not is the UST Mibro end of life? That would be a sad, sad day for me, as I'd have to find a nice front end replacement for NorCal conditions. I am digging the AdVantage in the rear though... haven't tried it up front.

I was hoping they would offer a larger Mibro (2.35) and Serac XC (2.25).
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.

usually cranky
    bummer, i was hoping to try out a mibro.

Ground Pounder
    I'm not sure it's the case. I hope it's not and someone can confirm it. That said, the availability looks to be up there with Unicorns.

Former Bike Wrench
    IRC...like most bicycle tire companies also makes other types of tires (IRC makes motorcycle and wheelchair tires as well). Maybe they just don't have a US distributor anymore or maybe they have decided to opt out of the bicycle tire business. Given their website only has their bicycle tires in Japanese...I figure the former, not the latter is the case.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    There bike tire website has been down for quite a while now?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Seems like everyone has IRC's on closeout (if they have them at all).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappyMedium
    I can't find them from a reliable source online any longer. I checked their website and it's loading an annoying redirect holding (?) page, that has happened in the past with them though... Price Point says they won't be stocking them anymore.

Is IRC defunct? If not is the UST Mibro end of life? That would be a sad, sad day for me, as I'd have to find a nice front end replacement for NorCal conditions. I am digging the AdVantage in the rear though... haven't tried it up front.

I was hoping they would offer a larger Mibro (2.35) and Serac XC (2.25).
    IRC was at interbike last fall but the booth was staffed with non-english speaking personnel.

No new models shown. Had most of the "old" tires including the Mibro.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    It looks like Cambria has the wire bead version for cheap.
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...+Mountain+Tire
    They also list the folding version but shows availability as 7-10 days out and at $44.95. That price seems a little hard to swallow since you used to be able to get two of them for less than that from Pricepoint.
    I guess I'll pick up a couple wire beads and start looking for a comparable replacement.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

Ground Pounder
    I'm already eyeballing the Ignitor 2.35 UST for my replacement. Still hoping this is all just a lull in production or they're looking for a new distributor.

7-10 days at Cambria means months, if ever, in my experience. I'm considering the wire, but I'd really miss the UST, as the kevlar versions I have are pretty thin. Plus, I just hate storing non-folding tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappyMedium
    I'm already eyeballing the Ignitor 2.35 UST for my replacement. Still hoping this is all just a lull in production or they're looking for a new distributor.

7-10 days at Cambria means months, if ever, in my experience. I'm considering the wire, but I'd really miss the UST, as the kevlar versions I have are pretty thin. Plus, I just hate storing non-folding tires.
    The Ignitor on the front would be a great match for the Advantage. I hear this combo recommended often.

I just put a 2.25 Ardent on my bike and was struck how much it looked and felt like the Mibros I always used to run. The knobs are a bit lower in the center (fast rolling) and more chevron shaped and the side lugs aren't quite as large..... and the price is considerably more than the $16 I used to get the Mibros for..... but the pattern is very similar.

mini clyde

What the wire-bead Mibros weigh ...

Quote Originally Posted by gratefulbiker
    It looks like Cambria has the wire bead version for cheap.
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...+Mountain+Tire
    They also list the folding version but shows availability as 7-10 days out and at $44.95. That price seems a little hard to swallow since you used to be able to get two of them for less than that from Pricepoint.
    I guess I'll pick up a couple wire beads and start looking for a comparable replacement.
    the wirebead Mibros I got this week from Cambria weigh about 40-50g more than the kevlar-beaded ones from a couple of years back. (~660g) Don't know if there are any other differences (TPI, compounds, ???) besides the bead, but they seem to ride the same, and the price is right.

Take it for what you will, my sample size is very small (2x kevlar, 3x wire) and my scale doesn't read below 5g.

Edit: Sorry for the thread-jack, they're not UST, obviously.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Not many to choose from but Universal Cycles has them.

www dot universalcycles dot com search: irc tires

No good in rock gardens..
    Their MTB site seems to be working.

IRC TIRE BYCICLE TIRE OFFICIAL SITE | MTB

IRC never seems to get many kudos for their MTB tyres, unfortunately. Why I don't know, as the ones I've used I have been quite happy with.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    Their MTB site seems to be working.

IRC TIRE BYCICLE TIRE OFFICIAL SITE | MTB

IRC never seems to get many kudos for their MTB tyres, unfortunately. Why I don't know, as the ones I've used I have been quite happy with.
    It's sad- the "Mibro for Marathon" (probably a poor English translation if you think about it) was about the best XC tire for my trails that I've ever ridden...They had great predictable grip, tough as nails sidewalls, rolled fast, and were pretty darned light on top of it. I've never found that combination an any tire since. The regular Mibro's were a close 2nd...

I'm hoping that their new webiste plus the addion of new UST versions of older models means they are still in the game...

I really miss those tires! I rode my old Mibros until the side knobs were ripping off, and I still continued riding them for a while longer!

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman