Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ~Reformed Mechanic~

No love for Maxxis Ignitors?

Im kinda wondering why the Ignitors dont get more attention? Im thinking of giving a try on the rear to replace my RaRa's based on their all ground ability and weight...

Anyone running Ignitors any enjoying them over the "populars" like Ikon's or Ardents?
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    I had a set of 2.1 ignitors. They were decent, I dont remember anything stand-out special about them or anything. Quick enough, good enough grip.

I also had a set of 2.35 wire bead ignitors. They were flat out dangerous. They dumped me on trails that Ive been on 100 times. They would just let go and next thing you know you're on the ground. Its the only tire Ive ever removed and put in the trash while still new. It wasnt even suitable for a backup. Im surprised there was such a huge difference between them, but im not inclined to run them again anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I had a set of 2.35 26 inch and did not like them as a front tire. After the second washout they are strictly rear for me.

mtbr member
    I like the Ignitors, but Maxxis really need a version with a larger volume like the 2.25" Ardent and made with the Super Tacky compound.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ferros View Post
    I had a set of 2.35 26 inch and did not like them as a front tire. After the second washout they are strictly rear for me.
    I had the same experience with the 29" version, after a few insta-crashes I was done. They worked well on the rear though.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Somehow I could never come up with a rational excuse for pentagonal knobs. Nor what those little mini knob thingys did for you. But they redeemed themselves with the Ikon. Back to boring old rectangles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My bike came with a pair of ignitors in 1.95 size. I hated them. They werent grippy enough in the forest but had too big rolling resistance on the road. Okay I used it a lot on road before the mountains so maybe this is the reason why it performed awfully, but it wasn't wide enough or tall enough. They aren't even in the near of 1.95 size as I read it on forums and reviews. So I changed it to 2.1 Schwalbe Smart Sams and they are surprisingly good. They got grip where I already saw myself falling. Maybe it's because of the size difference maybe not. Now I'm going to get 2.25 sized tyres and see what happens.
    All in all I don't have nice memories with the Ignitor, however the puncture protection was very good, 1 puncture in 600km.(but as I said I used it mostly on road)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have Ignitors 2.1 on my 29er and so far I like them. Good all around tire that can stay on for the entire season. It's reasonably grippy, low weight and relatively low rolling resistance. I ran WTB Nano in the rear and Ignitor in front for good chunk of last season as well especially when it was bone dry.
    If it dries out here in the MidWest I will be putting Ikon on the rear and maybe on the front as well.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    I wasn't expecting the negative responses based on the almost entirely positive reviews posted on MTBR, Amazon and other reviews... Well I ordered one for the rear to replace my RaRa Evo, I hope it can stick and roll nearly as well...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I really like them both front and back. I am running them on both my Potts and Pivot

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My experience with the Ignitor has been excellent. They really shine on soft loam, and roots in my opinion and do well on hard pack as well. As for cornering, this is the best cornering tire I have tried. My only issue with these tires is the volume. They need to put this tread on one of their updated larger volume, lighter weight casings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have a 2.35 26er, small for the size. Ran it on the front for a while now on the back. Happy with it specially on wet rocks and roots. A lot of guys using them on 29 SS.

No good in rock gardens..
    I ran one in 2.1 set up ghetto and later with a tube, on my Cannondale Rush.

Low volume, not fast, not uber-grippy and generally a bit "Meh".

With its profile I just knew it wasn't going to work for me on the front.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    I wasn't expecting the negative responses based on the almost entirely positive reviews posted on MTBR, Amazon and other reviews... Well I ordered one for the rear to replace my RaRa Evo, I hope it can stick and roll nearly as well...
    Are you riding a 29er or a 26" bike? What size did you buy?

The Ignitor doesn't get as much fanfare as other Maxxis tires because it's an older design. The tire really excels in forest loam-covered trails. On hardpack to loose-over it's okay, but as others have stated once you corner a little past the shoulder knobs, the tire gives way rather suddenly. You've got to be on your toes when this happens- not so much of an issue on the rear, though.

I personally like the 29x2.1 size as it has a good combination of grip, rolling resistance, and weight. I've got some one-off versions with a 120 tpi casing that are actually pretty amazing. But I'm not a fan of the 26" versions. The 26x2.1 is ridiculously undersized and the 26x2.35 is also a little small, and it's a pig.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    Are you riding a 29er or a 26" bike? What size did you buy?

I personally like the 29x2.1 size as it has a good combination of grip, rolling resistance, and weight. I've got some one-off versions with a 120 tpi casing that are actually pretty amazing. But I'm not a fan of the 26" versions. The 26x2.1 is ridiculously undersized and the 26x2.35 is also a little small, and it's a pig.
    29er the 29x2.1 Mostly dry forrest hardback and some sand.

Its only for the rear, since I don't use much other than NN up front. I was looking for something in between the Ikon and RaRa. Something that grips and rolls like a RaRa but lasts longer like an Ikon.

Ikon doesn't provide the climbing or braking traction I need, but im also picky about my rear tire weight. The Ignitor falls into the weight category so as long as it rolls well and climbs/brakes good thats all I need. The cornering isnt a concern so much since the NN is like riding a rail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    29er the 29x2.1 Mostly dry forrest hardback and some sand.
    Cool. You'll like it. Not quite as fast as the RaRa, but more grip, and it'll last longer too.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Well got my ignitor mounted tonight and I think Ive gotten spoiled with my high volume casing, cause this thing is tiny!

I guess I will just get by with it until the new large Ikon is available, and then hopefully it will meet my needs for a fast high volume rear...

g3h6o3
    I liked the 26x2.1 on the rear but it's weight vs. width makes it hard to compete with other tires in faster conditions.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    I just measured/weighed my 29x2.1 next to my 29x2.25 Racing Ralph both mounted on my Pacenti TL28 28mm wide rims.

Ralph Weight - Claimed 535g Actual 610grams

Ignitor Weight - Claimed 585 Actual 630grams

Ralph - 2.25"

Ignitor - 2.09"

Im satisfied with Maxxis claims as far as width and weight go, I find them to be still be much more accurate than Schwalbe. So far the only dissatisfaction is that its not as large volume wise as my schwalbe's...

Well bout to hit the trails for a first ignitor run on some dry sandy conditions, its a sunny and breezy 73 degrees on the Florida coast today, aren't your jealous!! :
    Last edited by Ace5high; 04-13-2013 at 08:20 PM.

~Reformed Mechanic~

A little Feedback

The Ignitor seems to be a fantastic rear tire and at this point, if it holds up, it may very well be my new goto rear tire! So I wanted to provide a little feedback from todays ride. I had not planned on it but was VERY pleasantly surprised with the Ignitor today.

Has a pretty significant increase in traction over my RaRa, but to be fair my RaRa was getting pretty worn down. Still the climbing traction really put both RaRa and Ikon both to shame. It rolled right up some steep slick/loose areas that I normally would be consistently breaking traction on... I was really amazed at its ability to dig in low gear on the loose stuff. My RaRa was to the point where I really struggled to climb 2 of the really loose areas in my fav local loop, it just would not grab if it was very dry. Today was no exception, but with the Ignitor, the dryer and looser it was the more it excelled! For a 29" tire in the 600 gram range this was really impressive. It tracked very well through the deep sandy areas we have in FL and just keep pushing me forward rather than sinking into the sandy pits.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised with how well it rolled up to about 10mph I feel It rolls just as good as the RaRa, after that it seems to slow a bit and you start to get some vibration and noise on the hardpack areas. For me in the sandy twisty trails around here, top end isn't much of a concern.

In the hardback leaning corners I found it to be predictable, but lean a little too far and it would slide a bit before the RaRa would, but not let go totally. In the deep sandy turns it tracked well. While pushing it a bit harder than normal today though corners It actually stuck in a few times when my front Nic would start to let go!

The volume leaves a bit to be desired and it had more of a dead feel than the RaRa over bumps. The RaRa would tend to be a bit bouncy and softer, where as the Ignitor would just hit small drop offs like a wet pancake. Again, its not much of an issue for me on a FS but I can see how this would be a bit much on a hardtail and I probably wouldn't run it on the rear of a hardtail myself.

The one thing that absolutely blew me away today was the braking. I must have gotten used to lousy braking with the Ikons and RaRa because I was amazed at how controlled the braking and rear end was coming down dry slippery sandy loose sections of roots, rock gardens and a mix. It also stuck to off camber roots and rocks like it was made for them.

I can see where this tire would really do well would be dry sandy areas of loose over hardpack or rocky dusty trails. I highly recommend one on the rear for anyone looking for a 29" 600gram tire that needs more grip than an Ikon or RaRa has to offer....

I stopped to take a few shots from todays trail. This hill is one that has always given my Ikons and RaRa's a bit of a tough time without proper momentum. It consists of loose Rocks, Sand, Sea Shells, Roots at a steeper climb than it appears. The Ignitor shot right up with such ease I rode down and back up a few more times in amazement

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The sizing and casing of the Ignitor always seemed weird in 29er. However, for 26ers, I really, really like the Ignitor 2.35 as a rear tire here in the desert.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I sold mine and now run Tioga psycho genius F and R. I wanted to like the Ignitors but they were't as grippy in corners as their knobs would leave you to believe, plus they had terrible rolling resistance (not much diff than my Tiogas but at least those grip better). They were fine for straight light traction, including rocks and roots, but I lost my grip on relatively tame corners and thus lost my confidence in these. Finally, I ran tubeless (no stans) and they lost most of their air after about 48 hrs, whereas the Tiogas hold air for at least a week. That's my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Does anyone have experience with a tubeless version of the Psycho Genius?

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post
    Does anyone have experience with a tubeless version of the Psycho Genius?
    Just a friendly suggestion, you might get a better response if you were to ask in a thread that isn't about Ignitors...

Quote Originally Posted by Thorin_2 View Post
    I sold mine and now run Tioga psycho genius F and R. I wanted to like the Ignitors but they were't as grippy in corners as their knobs would leave you to believe, plus they had terrible rolling resistance (not much diff than my Tiogas but at least those grip better).
    I have thought about trying a Psyhco Genius but im not sure they would meet my weight requirements. Have you weighed yours?

btw - I got caught in an absolute downpour today halfway into my loop and I was amazed at how well the Ignitor stuck to the wet. Especially the roots, it for sure out stuck my NoNic on the slick snotty roots and rocks. I know what you mean about the corners though. I am getting some wash when I lean it over low but dont mind it on the rear so much, I wouldn't run out to get one for the front for that reason...
    Last edited by Ace5high; 04-14-2013 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Yeah, you're right. Was just piggy-backing on the previous comment about the Psycho Genius. I like the tread pattern and haven't seen a lot of people discussing this tire in this forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast