Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Newbie: 1st time changing to non-stock tire

649 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Fitch 
#1 ·
Hey cats,

I'm no newbie to riding, but I'm not much of a gear head. I've been riding a 2010 Trek Fuel EX5 since it came out, and I've noticed that my wheels wash out far more than my ride buddies. After getting 3 flats in my last 2 rides (sharp rocks in New England), I took a look at my wheels and realized just how worn my tread was.

I'm a XC rider in New England (Massachusetts, specifically) at 5'11" and 190, so I ride hard on climbs and typical XC trails -- lots of roots and rocks around here. I had been riding the stock WTB tires, and on a spur, I picked up a pair of Kenda Excavators this week.

So my question is... what can I or should I expect about differences in changing tires for the first time? I know I'm going to need to be very aware of cornering, climbing, braking, and paying attention to rolling resistance... are there any tips regarding putting them on or seating them that you learn over time versus what I've already discerned from Zimm's MTB Maintenance and YouTube videos?

Thanks for your help, guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.