mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Upset Newb.... Need some advice on Front and rear tire combination for my GT 29er.

First off, Any help here will be greatly appreciated... Im coming over from the moto world, I bought a GT Karakoram 2.0 29er. The bike came stock with maxxis aspen tires. Im looking to upgrade, I ride mainly hard pack, single tack conditions. I also ride through the wetlands here in Huntington beach Ca. My main focus in tires would be for cornering!! Want grip when laying the bike low. Speed is a help being I have to ride lots of asphalt, sidewalks, bike lanes to get to my destinations. I have contemplated running the maxxis ardent front, Ignitor rear??? Any opinions, recommendations? Thanks... Also, I encounter lots of grass and light dustings of sand I need to roll through without washing out.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Refried1 View Post
    First off, Any help here will be greatly appreciated... Im coming over from the moto world, I bought a GT Karakoram 2.0 29er. The bike came stock with maxxis aspen tires. Im looking to upgrade, I ride mainly hard pack, single tack conditions. I also ride through the wetlands here in Huntington beach Ca. My main focus in tires would be for cornering!! Want grip when laying the bike low. Speed is a help being I have to ride lots of asphalt, sidewalks, bike lanes to get to my destinations. I have contemplated running the maxxis ardent front, Ignitor rear??? Any opinions, recommendations? Thanks... Also, I encounter lots of grass and light dustings of sand I need to roll through without washing out.
    The Aspens are a decent tire for mixed surfaces.

The knobbier tires you mention will be much more likely to wash out on pavement without being a huge improvement on grass and sand over hardpack.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for your feed back shiggy! Maybe I'll stick with the aspens till they wear out.

Happy Trails

Newb.... Need some advice on Front and rear tire combination for my GT 29er.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The Aspens are a decent tire for mixed surfaces.
    This.

An alternative would be a tough, durable but also fast Maxxis Ikon EVO EXC on the back, and save the Ardent for the front. This might be a good plan especially if you don't have Maxxis "EXC" sidewall protection on the Ardent. In my experience, rear tires are more susceptible to sidewall tears

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thank you scott, I will research them and try them out. All is much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So Im stuck between the Ikon EVO EXC for the rear, and the Ignitor? Im buying the Ardent for the front....

mtbr member
    The range of riding conditions you are describing is quite large. There is some info on the Ikon in the 29er section. There is quite a difference between the 2.2 and the 2.35 in the 29er version. I think either version is a dry conditions tire only. I have the Ardent 2.4x26 EXO front and back (not that I'm recommending it for your use) but it rolls surprising well on pavement. I swapped out a 2.2 Ikon EXO (sidewall protection) EXC (which refers to the triple compound) on the back and I was pleased with the low rolling resistance, but went back to the Ardent for the grip. I think you may have to prioritize your wants on tire performance, as I don't think there's one out there that will be good in all the conditions you specify. If you want a low rolling resistance good wearing tire combo that grips on hardpack singletrack but wont be very good in the wet, a 2.2 Ikon rear 2.35 Ikon front may work well. I'd get the rear in an EXO (for more protection - it's still 540 grams), and triple compound (Exc) on both. The 2.35 Ikon, I'm told, has more aggressive side knobs than the 2.2 and corners surprisingly well. I found the 2.2 Ikon to have the grip of a 2.1 Racing Ralph, if you're familiar with that tire. It has the same tread width, but more volume.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 06-24-2013 at 05:59 AM.

mtbr member
    I would try a beefier front tire first, and leave the aspen out back.

Personally id write off paved surface performance and just get something that works well in dirt. Road riding a mountain bike isnt exactly the pinnacle of fun times, so just take it easy until you get to your destination, and run a setup that rips on dirt.

You'll notice the drag of a sticky tire much less up front, but you'll gain a lot of handling advantage over an XC/fast type tire. Also keep rim width in mind, if your current rims are pretty narrow, they might handle a little funny with a big tire up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Refried1 View Post
    So Im stuck between the Ikon EVO EXC for the rear, and the Ignitor? Im buying the Ardent for the front....
    I'd go Ikon Exo, or leave the Aspen on the rear. The Ignitor is likely overkill for the rear based on your description of your terrain.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thank you all for your help, I will let you know what I decide. I agree, Not worried to much about street riding/performance, being I plan on spending as much time as possible in the dirt! Cheers....