mtbr member
    Aug 2011

new wheelset- when to re-tension?

i have had a new wheelset built up with about 6 hours of riding on them so far. the shop mentioned bringing them back in for a re tension. when is a good time to do so? what ride time interval? the 6 hrs have been of the fairly hard variety with lots of general AM terrain up and down.

eBiker
    Your in the zone. Do it now.

P

mtbr member
    For a well built wheelset, you should have it check at the end of the season after months of riding. Ideally it should still be perfect, maybe a light tune up for dings and damage. If no dings or damage, it should need nothing.

If your wheels need it after 6 hours, never have that shop build you wheels again!

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    The best time to bring them to the shop is during their business hours.

Just kidding...... I had a new rear wheel built and it is had to bring it in after abour 10 hours of riding. I dont think they stress relieved it and it was pinging and popping and slightly out of true. hopefullynthey can get it right.

mtbr member
    If they were built and finished properly, chances are all they will ever need is a light tune up as One Pivot mentioned.

If they were merely put together, they will need further attention very soon. A few hours of rough riding with an unfinished wheel should be long enough to have everything find its place and tension, which means it's time to put it in the truing stand again.

There's very little "in-between" in my experience. Either the wheels need attention very soon, or several months later.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    Depending on how well it was built, probably one of these two extremes or somewhere in between -

Never - for a properly built wheelset, done by someone who knew how how to "optimize" the spokes (relieve stress, build with proper tension etc) - the info on how to do this is all on my site.
    Part way through the wheels' first ride - for my buddy's wheel when he replaced a rim the day before our training ride. All the spokes loosened off and the wheel was unrideable after about six miles of a mtb race circuit. When I asked him what he did for stress relief, he answered "Huh?"
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For a properly built wheel, pretty much never unless you have a major crash or the wheel takes a severe impact.

If the wheel wasn't built right it could be anywhere from a few minutes to a few weeks.

mtbr member
    If you ride hard, you should expect to true wheels annually. For some people and some teams, the best wheels are trashed after a year, beyond repair. "Never" is a very, very far stretch. Its good to service spokes annually, at least.

Ive never gone too long without bashing a rock or hitting some sticks in the spokes. I had a pretty major rib-cracking crash a few weeks ago that knocked my 2 year old (trued once) wheel out of true. The build was great, it just happens.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Why re-tension a wheel unless its out of true? Is your wheel out of true? If its not out-of-true then keep riding it until it is.

A dodgy build will go out of true quickly. A good build will go out of true when you damage it or when the spoke holes in the rim start to fail from fatigue.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    i have had a new wheelset built up with about 6 hours of riding on them so far. the shop mentioned bringing them back in for a re tension. when is a good time to do so? what ride time interval? the 6 hrs have been of the fairly hard variety with lots of general AM terrain up and down.
    I agree with most of the other replies, but since the shop said to bring the wheels in to be checked, I would ask them when you should do it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common