Thread: new wheelset

aka greyranger

new wheelset

I just got my new frame and it will need a 12 x 142 rear hub, and will use a 15 or 20 mm front. I have a king/mavic 819 tubeless set now,but would like to get a wider rim. I feel the wider rim will handle the wider tires better. Problem there are not many true 21 mm inside wide ust rims out there, unless I am missing some. I love the kings, I would like to build my new set on the kings but what are my options without going to a rim strip to convert something like a Stans rim. I know about the Mavic sx, Crank Brothers iodine. What are some of my options I am missing?

mtbr member
    What's your opposition to a rim strip or tape? I've never had the tape leak and even with full UST tires most use sealant for flat protection.

The WTB i23 TCS rims are light, wide, and UST compliant.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

aka greyranger

opposition

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    What's your opposition to a rim strip or tape? I've never had the tape leak and even with full UST tires most use sealant for flat protection.

The WTB i23 TCS rims are light, wide, and UST compliant.
    No opposition just seeing if I can avoid it first

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redranger View Post
    No opposition just seeing if I can avoid it first
    Not aware of any aftermarket rim that has a solid rim bed except the Mavic X819 and the heavy x823. The Bontrager Duster rims use a snap in plastic rim strip that is air tight without sealant. They are 28mm wide.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Just run tape. When setup properly, it is maintenance free. That way, you could lace your Kings to some Flow EXs.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Poacher
    Sep 2010

I am huuuuge fan of UST rims, use XTR on 26er.

However, on my 29er s.s., I use WTB i23 on KING hubs. As other posts said, i23 are great and I ignore the rim strip (it is under my tire, and looks just like my UST set when a tire is on it). Wrench Science built my wheels. 5 runs at Downieville first few rides, and another 40 rides since then in rocks of NORCAL. Never been trued, no wobbles, I am very happy with this setup and they are very tough. I wish I had 20mm front hub, that would be the bomb. My friend said he could not explain how his 20mm fork was better, then I rode one. I will get 20mm fork next time for sure.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I wish I had 20mm front hub, that would be the bomb. My friend said he could not explain how his 20mm fork was better, then I rode one. I will get 20mm fork next time for sure.
    What are you comparing the 20mm too, a 15mm or a QR. I have a 20mm and it seemed to track better than the 15mm's I've ridden, others disagree.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Comparing 20mm to my 29er's 9mm qr, and my26er 15qr. I was surprised that I felt a bit more confidence using strange 26er bike with 20mm fork. Then 2 days later, I was sorta smoked on 2000ft downhill (RANGER trail) by a Seattle local using a 15QR fork. SO......sometimes it is just the rider! HAHAHA. I vote for 20mm if works for you.

aka greyranger
    thanks all

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i am riding kings with the i23 also and love em. use gorilla tape and know i wont ever have to worry about it. couldnt be happier.
    Juice