mtbr member
    Jan 2012

New Wheel Build...Hadley or Onyx

I'll be building up a new Pivot Mach 5.5 as soon as my frame arrives. My wheelset will consist of Nobl TR38 carbon rims. Looking to use either Hadley or Onyx hubs for this build. I've had I9, CK's and Hope Pro 2 & 4 hubs on previous bikes. Never a problem with any of those hubs. Just want to try something different this go around. Any user feedback on either the Hadley or Onyx would be greatly appreciated.
    *2017 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*
    *2014 Knolly Endorphin Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I'll be building up a new Pivot Mach 5.5 as soon as my frame arrives. My wheelset will consist of Nobl TR38 carbon rims. Looking to use either Hadley or Onyx hubs for this build. I've had I9, CK's and Hope Pro 2 & 4 hubs on previous bikes. Never a problem with any of those hubs. Just want to try something different this go around. Any user feedback on either the Hadley or Onyx would be greatly appreciated.
    Love my hadley but if you want to try something different to onyx.

Save yourself some weight and money and go with something else up front though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have Hadley Hubs currently on my Bronson V2, I9 on my Mojo 3, and DT Swiss 350-54T on the Anthem and have used CK Hubs before. The drive engagement of the Hadley is not to par with I9 and CK. I say go for Onyx. I would like to try Onyx next time I build a new Carbon wheelset.
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ckspeed View Post
    The drive engagement of the Hadley is not to par with I9 and CK. .
    Curious what you mean by that as they have the same # points of engagement as King.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Curious what you mean by that as they have the same # points of engagement as King.
    Well, eventhough, the Hadley hub has 72 points of engagement, 4 pawls, I can feel the jump to other cog and its not as fast, meaning it takes more degrees of turn to engage the pawls. I am not sure how many or if all 4 pawls engage at the same time or just 2 pawls. the I9 has 6 pawls, with 3 pawls engage at the same time, and has less degrees of turn before any 2 sets of 3 pawls engage, makes the gear change noticeable. as for CK hub, since this is a ring drive system, therefore, all 72 teeth engage at the same time, feels almost the same as I9 hub. Hope this help.
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

wanna ride bikes?
    Well, eventhough, the Hadley hub has 72 points of engagement, 4 pawls, I can feel the jump to other cog and its not as fast, meaning it takes more degrees of turn to engage the pawls. I am not sure how many or if all 4 pawls engage at the same time or just 2 pawls. the I9 has 6 pawls, with 3 pawls engage at the same time, and has less degrees of turn before any 2 sets of 3 pawls engage, makes the gear change noticeable. as for CK hub, since this is a ring drive system, therefore, all 72 teeth engage at the same time, feels almost the same as I9 hub. Hope this help.
    Whatever you think you perceive as different between the Hadley and the King is entirely in your head. 360 degrees / 72 POE = 5 degrees of freehub rotation. This assumes your talking about the same size chainring and cog. It doesn't matter if there's 2 pawls engaging or 2000, it's 5 degrees of rotation.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Whatever you say, that's you and this is me...if you can't tell the difference than it is in your head too.
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Have Hadleys and love them. The Onyx hubs look amazing and people love them. You can't go wrong, pick a hub a be a prick about your choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mbtr member
    Whatever you say, that's you and this is me...if you can't tell the difference than it is in your head too.
    hahahaha
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Calgon, take me away!
    What lube are you using in the hub?
    Banshee Prime

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I use slick honey in my previous hadley hub. I have not use any lube in the boost hub yet. Probably will try something else beside Teflon and slick honey lube.
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

mtbr member

New Wheel Build...Hadley or Onyx

I use slick honey in my previous hadley hub. I have not use any lube in the boost hub yet. Probably will try something else beside Teflon and slick honey lube.
    For pawls you should try Dumonde tech free hub oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah, that's the lube I want to try on both my I9 and Hadley hubs
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Whatever you think you perceive as different between the Hadley and the King is entirely in your head. 360 degrees / 72 POE = 5 degrees of freehub rotation. This assumes your talking about the same size chainring and cog. It doesn't matter if there's 2 pawls engaging or 2000, it's 5 degrees of rotation.
    It's worse than that! Its up to 5 degrees max! So in reality you can average it out to about 2-3 degrees before it engages. Sometimes less.

Really you're never engaging at the very last millionth of a millimeter on the ratchet ring to get a true full 5 degrees.

That's some crazy hair splitting. 72 is 72, which is all realistically instant engagement.

mtbr member
    I have Onyx, and I love them. Silent, smooth, and engagement is instant. They are a bit heavy, but worth it. I'm thinking of putting them on a lightweight XC hardtail. I like them that much. Weight penalty be damned. Love the hubs.

Agree with above that you can save weight and money with something different in the front. With Onyx it is the rear that matters anyway.

mtbpete
    If you don't mind the weight Onyx are a great choice.

Calgon, take me away!
    I've actually not seen or used Slick Honey although I hear about it a lot. I am using the correct Hadley PTFE lube. Balle Racing has it, and IIRC it's pretty cheap. It's about the consistency of ATF. Anyway you might try that if the Slick Honey is more like a grease or heavy oil.
    Banshee Prime

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Slick honey is for sliding applications that wont get real dirty (forks and shocks). I don't think its appropriate for hubs. Might as well use gear oil or phil tenacious. I think slick honey would get thrown to the open spaces and never flow back into the mix.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Kevinboyer - White Industries XMR are really nice. Like, really nice. But just 48 pt...
    I just switched to one from a King and I'm not missing the engagement difference whatsoever. And the freehubs are Ti.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Kevinboyer - White Industries XMR are really nice. Like, really nice. But just 48 pt...
    I just switched to one from a King and I'm not missing the engagement difference whatsoever. And the freehubs are Ti.

Thanks for that link. Very nice looking hubs. Wish the XMR Boost hubs came in red though.
    *2017 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*
    *2014 Knolly Endorphin Custom Build*