mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New Weirwolf MOD 2.3.

Hey guys if you bought the new Weirwolf immediately I'm sure you noticed the differences, which were good and bad:
    - I found the new TCS 2.3 to be heavy by about 100 gr or more compared to my old versions.
    - It rolled very fast until the trail went up moderately.
    - The turning at any lean angle is present as they tout.
    - Compound seamed soft and mushy.
    - At cornering leaning limit the knobs seemed to hold well then roll over, forcing me to gather the front up and turn out of the lean.

So, after a couple months riding on my Turner horst link 5.5 rocker Lyrik 160 equipped bike, I found the tire too heavy for AM riding on the rear wheel and the front it worked well except for the above issues. To solve this I went the motorsports mod route and sliced off the top layer of the 3 edge knobs all the way around the tire. I took an exacto knife and cut the first step off of the outer most knob and the same height off of the smaller 2 knobs. Let me say this little trick was huge! The tire actually goes where I point it, not grabbing terrain with its mushy wide splayed out knobs anymore and wandering off my line. It feels a lot like the original weirwolf but softer in the middle. The center knobs are slightly taller now compared to the edges but as the wear in to the mod I think it will be great. The leaned over contact patch now feels huge which may take getting used to but it holds and doesn't slip. The knobs stay planted and don't fold or mush over. I went full bore on the mod so if anyone wants to try just slicing the biggest knob down or the biggest 2, I'd love to hear the review, it would take way less time to do too. I put in a solid hour of slicing. Anyone do this mod at your own risk but I like it so far. I will post pics if there is interest. Oh and I ride dusty hard pack with soft silty dirt on top. Later.

We get titles?
    I saw they were selling the weirwolf comp 2.3 at blueskycycling on a 2 for 1 deal today. I'd been riding the old race 2.5 for a while and loved them. If I could have gotten those tires at that deal, I'd have jumped on it. But I wasn't thrilled with the advertised redesign, and i think your review supports my wariness to grab that deal. I look forward to hearing more reviews about this new weirwolf, but I'm sad that WTB decided to mess around with what I felt was a great tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Interesting, I wish I got that deal I paid for both of mine. The tread design is actually pretty good and could probably be great with a harder compound and slightly shorter edge knobs. Which basically makes it the old one, however I think th enew one rolls faster except up where the extra weight is felt. The inner piece I think is overkill, the old tire had it but it didn't weigh a ton, especially with tubeless we would pinch flat much less anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Okay this is a good mod normally but I SAY FORGET IT! since the compound is so soft and mushy that you can't really depend on it no matter what knob height. I'm going Stick-E nevegals and dual compound nevegals rear. They are lighter and my buddy likEs em and he's fast and over 200 lbs like me too.

Jumper
    After using the new Weirwolfs for about 4 months now, I have to say that I am dissappointed with WTB for not leaving the original Weirwolf as an option. I ran the originals in a 2.3 for years and refused to use anything else. It was true that after the sides wore a bit, they cornered better. Why couldnt they just fix that issue and leave the tread design alone. They are mushy, heavy, and really really suck at anything with moisture or mud. They don't grab as well on steep climbs as the old ones. I'm really sorry to say that I will be leaving the WTB line in search of another manufacturer that supplies 2.3 tires similar to the old Weirwolf. Sucks, cause I have been a loyal customer for years.

Jumper
    It looks like that new Panaracer 2.35 might be what I am looking for.

http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/pa...ic_gracia.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper780
    After using the new Weirwolfs for about 4 months now, I have to say that I am dissappointed with WTB for not leaving the original Weirwolf as an option. I ran the originals in a 2.3 for years and refused to use anything else. It was true that after the sides wore a bit, they cornered better. Why couldnt they just fix that issue and leave the tread design alone. They are mushy, heavy, and really really suck at anything with moisture or mud. They don't grab as well on steep climbs as the old ones. I'm really sorry to say that I will be leaving the WTB line in search of another manufacturer that supplies 2.3 tires similar to the old Weirwolf. Sucks, cause I have been a loyal customer for years.
    The 2.5 race keeps popping up on chainlove if you want to get another set. I think blueskycycling.com also has them, cheap.
    "It looks flexy"

Jumper
    I am running RS 130mm dual airs. I could only fit 2.4s on max. If it wasnt for that I would. Thats ok I'm going to give those new Panaracer 2.35 CGs a shot.
    http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/pa...ic_gracia.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah I agree, I just put the 2.5 DH weirwolf of old on my all mountain bike and I totally remember the confidence inspiring ride, and it wasn't much heaver than the new 2.3 I took off. I will be trying the nevegal's since my buddy has had good luck with them and they have a dual compound and stick e compnd too. I am actually looking for the old 2.3's online since they worked so well. I say lets start a petition to get the old tire back, and maybe they can make it more tubeless compatible but no heavier and no softer....who's with me????

Jumper
    Well after hours of research, I went ahead and orderd the Geax Gatos (TNT version) 2.3s. I hope this works out. This is supposedly a bit more grippy than the old Weirwolfs.
    http://www.geax.com/en/technology/?cat=15&prod=79

mtbr member
    I love the new weirwolfs 2.1. They are working real great.

Erik