mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. New Tubless convert/advocate!

So I recently made the switch to tubeless, and have come to the realization I should of done it sooner. I hooked up some Maxxis Ardents Exo on my trek slash with the stock rims. The combination of the the lighter tire and the weight I dropped going tubeless make the bike feel considerably more nimble/faster. I do have a couple of questions though.

For the most part getting the tire to seat/seal wasn't too much of a headache with a C02 canister. However it seems like every time the Valve gets moved or jolted I lose a bit of air. Any ideas/tips?

Went out for a ride yesterday and took it kinda easy trying to feel whole set up out. They held up with no problems/air loss. I Avoided the normal jumps/drops on my local trail. Its probably all in my head but do you reckon its alright to ride the hell outta them now, its been 4 days since I set 'em up. I'm only concerned because the tires are not UST. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Did the same too with racing ralphs(non ust).The rear i did with a rim strips the front did with tape.
    With the front wheel that i taped i had more probs with it to hold air at first i had probs with the valve stem then it was the tire bead area it had small seepage but after laying wheel on its sides and turning slowly i got it to seal up.If i dint ride for a week i have to add some air to it.
    The rear with the rim strip went easy and trouble free.Held air without sealant overnight next day i just added the sealant.

mtbr member
    Go to the stan's page there is a u-tube flic that shows the proper technique for sealing the tires. shake and lay on the side. repeat on the other side. I have been running tubeless for 5 years or more from the old fashioned UST that I don't like. The newer tubeless ready tires are the bomb. I love the ability to run really low pressures and very light tires. The lightest I have found to date are the schawbe rocket rons. I have run the front at 12psi but now won't go below 14psi. The reason is soft tires overachieve in the braking department. Some time I stop just too fast. I find many of the main stream wheels burp or roll off the tire bead. I have had good luck with stan's rims. They work the best for low pressures. I usually start with 24 in the rear and 19 in the front. Tubeless ready tires will loose air and I let them go to 14/ 19psi before I top them up. You will love tubeless ready, they really smooth out the trail.
    Last edited by dorse; 04-20-2013 at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous View Post
    However it seems like every time the Valve gets moved or jolted I lose a bit of air. Any ideas/tips?
    Is the locking nut tight holding the valve in? You should definitely ride the hell out of it. That is a great way to get the Stans distributed. Those are great tires, BTW.