mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Upset New Tubeless Tires/Rims cant stop slow leaks-HELP ME

I just bought a new set of UST Crossmax SL's and a new set of Huchinson UST tires because I got alot of flats with tubes. Anyway I had the professionally installed and they go flat overnight. Any suggestions? Do they sell slime to stop this? I am so sick of pumping the tires every time I ride. I dont know much about this tubless thing except it cost me about $700 for the set up.

Tim
    Charlotte, NC

Bodhisattva
    Assuming the valves are installed correctly and the tire bead wasn't damaged during installation, you would likely solve the problem by adding 1-2 scoops of Stan's or similar sealant.
    www.notubes.com
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member

Stan's

Yup, like Squeaky said - Stan's will fix it. I consider it a MSUT for UST tires/rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    Yup, like Squeaky said - Stan's will fix it. I consider it a MSUT for UST tires/rims.
    Thanks for the advice. I will contact Stans tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

stans

I put stans in my ust system and it now holds air better than a tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmrider134
    I just bought a new set of UST Crossmax SL's and a new set of Huchinson UST tires because I got alot of flats with tubes. Anyway I had the professionally installed and they go flat overnight. Any suggestions? Do they sell slime to stop this? I am so sick of pumping the tires every time I ride. I dont know much about this tubless thing except it cost me about $700 for the set up.

Tim
    Charlotte, NC
    Even though Stans will most likely solve your problems.....those wheels should be able to hold air as well as tubes without any goop.

You should determine if the leak(s) are from the tire, the bead interface with the rim, or the rim.

If it's the rim, then it's most likely the valve. It's either not tight enough...too tight (should only be hand tight) or it's faulty. Try tightening the valve if it leaks from there. If your rims are built like the other Mavic UST rims, then air leaking out of spoke holes indicates a valve that's too loose or faulty (rubber mating surface poorly molded or damaged). Pump the tires to max rated inflation and submerge the tire and rim in water to see where the leak(s) are.

Have you contacted the professional installers and asked for help? You should.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree with the last reply. you shouldn't need any sealant if there are no holes. should hold air. I prefer the soapy water in a spray bottle to find leaks.

I will say this about sealants: they work! I had a thorn ride from hell a few weeks ago (first ride after enough snow had melted) and had 8 thorn holes in a Hutchinson Spider. put some STANS in through his valve stem with removable core and hasn't gone down yet. have also had good re****s with slime.

Do It Yourself
    The Hutchison UST Lite tires including the Spiders don't have the extra inner butyl layer that a lot of UST tires have so they pretty much need sealant to hold air.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Half true, they don't have the Butyl layer on the inside of the tire. They do however (IME) hold air extremely well. (much better than a lightweight butyl tube)
    Special consideration should be given to patching however, the exposed carcass inside should not be roughed-up which makes an inside patch application nearly impossible. The Hutchinson web site has specific instructions on patching.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    Half true, they don't have the Butyl layer on the inside of the tire. They do however (IME) hold air extremely well. (much better than a lightweight butyl tube)
    Special consideration should be given to patching however, the exposed carcass inside should not be roughed-up which makes an inside patch application nearly impossible. The Hutchinson web site has specific instructions on patching.
    I think that the original poster should find out what is leaking before doing anything else. If it's the tires, then at least he'll know that the wheels are OK...and visa versa. It's most likely the valves, but he has to check before anything else can be done.

UST should hold air as well as tubes.....or better. I have spiders and the front doesn't leak at all (beter than tubes) and the back has a leak from the valve. I'll replace the valve when I have time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So i have a set of mavic 819 with some kenda tires, im not leaking any air through the seam, verified with soapy water. But i am leaking from spokes 2, 4, 20 and 21.

What could cause this? And how can i fix it?

Thanks for your time,

Steven

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by m3the01
    So i have a set of mavic 819 with some kenda tires, im not leaking any air through the seam, verified with soapy water. But i am leaking from spokes 2, 4, 20 and 21.

What could cause this? And how can i fix it?

Thanks for your time,

Steven
    On 819's it actually can't leak from the spokes since the spoke holes don't go all the way through the rim...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well i got 819's and those spoke holes, when i put soapy water on them they bubble. The seam doesnt bubble and the valve doesnt either.

hmm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m3the01
    Well i got 819's and those spoke holes, when i put soapy water on them they bubble. The seam doesnt bubble and the valve doesnt either.

hmm
    You are leaking around the valve stem (which is pressurizing the rim, which then leaks out around the spokes)
    Remove and reinstall the valve stem (using soapy water to ensure a good seat) if it still leaks then replace the valve stem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Tightened her a little more around the valve stem and no leaks, perfect!!!

Thanks!

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Try and reseat the valve, as explained earlier in this thread. If this doesn't solve your problem, stop dicking around and return to the shop that did the installation and have the shop remedy the leaking problem. UST tires mounted on UST rims do not REQUIRE a sealant.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot
    Try and reseat the valve, as explained earlier in this thread. If this doesn't solve your problem, stop dicking around and return to the shop that did the installation and have the shop remedy the leaking problem. UST tires mounted on UST rims do not REQUIRE a sealant.
    Even if they do not require any, I would HIGHLY recommend puting a little bit of stan in there just for peace of mind. 20gr of stan for all the benefit is worth it.