Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New Tires from Maxxis

I'm here at the Taipei Cycle Show, and I've tweeted some photos of some of the new tires from Maxxis.

If you're interested in having a look, please visit my twitter page (@ugaswimmerbr1).

Unfortunately none of these tires are available for sale yet, but they should be soon. Please contact your local distributor to inquire about availability.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

ride
    Thanks! Would love it if you could get Q to carry the HR2 in anything but wire bead.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bholwell: Are the new tubeless ready tyres a tighter bead than standard? Reason I'm asking is I'm using 29er Crests and some TR tyres (a different brand) are just too tight a fit on those to be practical for me. I just tried an Icon (29x2.2 EXO) and it was perfect - pretty tight but I can still fit it with thumbs I'm hoping the TR tyres aren't going to be tighter....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    Thanks! Would love it if you could get Q to carry the HR2 in anything but wire bead.
    These are tubeless ready (with UST spec bead), so no chance of a wire bead version. Not possible.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Yes. The DHR II has now been approved for production using 3 tread compound configurations: MaxxPro 60a, SuperTacky, and 3C MaxxGrip (triple compound)- all 2 ply casings, wire bead, butyl insert DH tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimification View Post
    Bholwell: Are the new tubeless ready tyres a tighter bead than standard? Reason I'm asking is I'm using 29er Crests and some TR tyres (a different brand) are just too tight a fit on those to be practical for me. I just tried an Icon (29x2.2 EXO) and it was perfect - pretty tight but I can still fit it with thumbs I'm hoping the TR tyres aren't going to be tighter....
    Yes. Maxxis tubeless ready tires utilize a UST spec bead, so the inside diameter of the bead is a little smaller than the inside diameter of a standard tube-type bead. The Crest rims are designed with a larger-than-typical bead seat diameter to ensure that tube-type tires have a tight interface between the rim and the bead. As a result, some UST tires can be difficult to mount (like Geax, for instance).

So since they are UST spec beads, Maxxis can only guaranty a reliable tubeless fit on UST approved rims. Any other rim may be hit or miss. I have, however, mounted these tires on Flow rims without trouble.

wheelie king

No tweet?

No Tweet results for @ugaswimmerbr1

I get this message on your twitter page.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    These are tubeless ready (with UST spec bead), so no chance of a wire bead version. Not possible.
    Not a reference to your twitter pic, rather a reference to what they are carrying now:

Maxxis High Roller 2 Tire Black 26x2.40 3C Wire, TB74177100
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 661lee View Post
    No Tweet results for @ugaswimmerbr1

I get this message on your twitter page.
    I'm not sure what the issue might be... They show up fine when I'm not logged in.

Twitter

Perhaps some good samaratain will post up the pics here.

mtbr member
    Not a reference to your twitter pic, rather a reference to what they are carrying now:

Maxxis High Roller 2 Tire Black 26x2.40 3C Wire, TB74177100
    Ah, ok. Yes, so for some reason QBP only picked up the triple compound DH version of the High Roller II. If you're looking for the folding Exo version, have your lbs check out BTI (they carry both the 60a and the 3C MaxxTerra) or Hawley.

ride
    I am the LBS, and I have been getting them from BTI. Just easier to order from Q sometimes.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    I am the LBS, and I have been getting them from BTI. Just easier to order from Q sometimes.
    I see! Then please, if you don't mind, ask Q to pick up the other tires. This will help us also!

ride
    Cool, will do. We sell a lot of Maxxis in the shop here, big fans. Sometimes I try to get everything from one vendor for freight mins, etc. You know the drill. I'll push them for this. thanks.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

IllumaDucati
    From twitter.com/#!/ugaswimmerbr1

Radial Tubeless Road tire

650B CrossMark

Tubeless-ready High Roller IIs

Minion DHR II tread

Minion DHR II

mtbr member
    No tubeless ready Ignitor 29?

Mine won't keep air longer than about 2 1/2 days so far, but I love the tire and don't want to change.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes. Maxxis tubeless ready tires utilize a UST spec bead, so the inside diameter of the bead is a little smaller than the inside diameter of a standard tube-type bead. The Crest rims are designed with a larger-than-typical bead seat diameter to ensure that tube-type tires have a tight interface between the rim and the bead. As a result, some UST tires can be difficult to mount (like Geax, for instance).

So since they are UST spec beads, Maxxis can only guaranty a reliable tubeless fit on UST approved rims. Any other rim may be hit or miss. I have, however, mounted these tires on Flow rims without trouble.
    Big thumbs up for the Tubeless Ready UST spec, have been awaiting them from Maxxis.

I think that the future of standardized rim-bead sits right there

- Light UST rims (cheaper options with tape like WTB frequency)
    - UST Bead
    - Light, air-porous, cut resistant sidewall designed to be run with sealant

g3h6o3
    What other tire models can we expect in a tubeless ready variant?

I've always loved Maxxis tires but I'm moving more and more towards tubeless ready tires with sidewall protection and often find the Maxxis LUST too heavy for racing... so I moved towards Schwalbe & Geax in recent years while using LUST versions of my favorite models. Having TLR versions of most models would be awesome!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member

bholwell: What kind of weight did the tubeless ready HR2 end up at?
    I am also happy to see tubeless ready with UST spec bead. ++ for WTB new rim products UST ready.
    Happy to see DHR2 heading to market also.
    Thanks!

I'm with stupid
    Damn... I was hoping that they would have a 29er version of the ADvantage coming out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fermenter View Post
    bholwell: What kind of weight did the tubeless ready HR2 end up at?
    I am also happy to see tubeless ready with UST spec bead. ++ for WTB new rim products UST ready.
    Happy to see DHR2 heading to market also.
    Thanks!
    I know the weight of the prototype samples, however the average weight of the prototypes is a little different than the final production weight (which is a target number with an allowable tolerance). So I'll need to get that info from the factory.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    What other tire models can we expect in a tubeless ready variant?

I've always loved Maxxis tires but I'm moving more and more towards tubeless ready tires with sidewall protection and often find the Maxxis LUST too heavy for racing... so I moved towards Schwalbe & Geax in recent years while using LUST versions of my favorite models. Having TLR versions of most models would be awesome!
    Well, I can't really comment on tires that have not yet been released to the public. But it makes sense to offer our better-selling & newer models in a tubeless ready version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadsters View Post
    Thank you very much for posting the photos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The new DHR2 is a really great tire. I love the new tire decals bholwell. They look sharp!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leggatt View Post
    The new DHR2 is a really great tire. I love the new tire decals bholwell. They look sharp!
    Thanks! I can't really take credit for the new hotpatch design, though. That's the work of our awesome graphics design team.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast