mtbr member

New tire sealant from Continental, Revo Sealant

Still new. If anyone has any experience please share, especially comparing to stans and slime pro.

Bike24 - Continental Revo Sealant Puncture Protection 240ml
    Continental Revo Sealant - Sea Otter Classic

The ammonium- and protein-free RevoSealant provides reliable sealing for punctures and small cuts without chemically corroding the tyre or tube. The versatile RevoSealant is not only useful for repairs, but can also be used for preventive measures and helps protect against malfunctions in tubes, tubular tyres, and tubeless tyres. With suitable tyres RevoSealant can also be used as a sealant for the Tubeless Ready systems which are popular on the mountain bike. RevoSealant, which is specially optimized for use in Continental cycle tyres, can be used in temperatures up to –20 °Celsius.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New tire sealant from Continental, Revo Sealant-480_00_d.jpg  

XXIX
    Interested to see how it works with other tires. Will it eat non tubless ready tires like other sealants will.

LCW
    mtbr member
    +1 - would like to know how this compares vs Stans.

I have a Conti MK II 2.4 (Protection RTR) that sealed and has stayed sealed since day one with Stans. But I also have a TK 2.2 that I've sealed with Stans, but every once in a while, it will go flat overnight. Has never gone flat during a ride though. But still a bit of a bummer. So I'm curious if the Revo sealant might work better than Stans. If yes, I'll get some. If not, I'll have to wait until Conti releases a TK with RTR (revo tubeless ready) and just keep running Stans which has proven to work based on my experience with my MK II.
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone has experience with RevoSealant? Any feedback would much appreciated.

Actually, I'm continously facing with air leak issues with my brand new Conti X-King 2.2 ProTection tires with Joe's Super Sealant and also with Joe's Elite Racer sealant. Joe's used to work with Geax and Schwalbe quite well but apparently not with Continental... After one day tire pressures goes down from 2.0-2.2 to 0.5-1.0, however I started to use these tires almost 3 weeks ago, so I have to inflate them every day.
    (Rims are UST rims, I have mounted the X-kings to a Fulcrum Red Metal 3, no issue should come from here.)

So I expect that, changing from Joe's to RevoSealant could solve the air leak issues that I'm experiencing currently with my Continental tyres.
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member
    Recently purchased a new Flow EX wheel set, two TK 2.2 tires, and a bottle of Revo. Unfortunately, I only purchased one bottle, so I've ordered a second. I've completed the front tire with no problems. Since the tires were new, I mounted both and waited a week for them to stretch. Had to use a tire iron to mount, but wasn't to difficult. Both tires seated with a hand pump. The front tire held air, but was flat the next morning. For the back tire, I could hear several air leaks and was flat within 30 mins.

For the sealant, I followed the conti videos, first prepping the inter part of the tire with sealant and used a brush to spread. Mounting the tire was easier, but still used a tire iron. Filled tire with 120ml of sealant, air the tire to 40psi, and as of this morning, it's holding air just fine.

Hopefully, I'll received the second bottle of Revo by next weekend and will try the rear tire. Since it had several leaks, I'll be interested to see how it seals.

obsessive
    I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Revo Sealant is corn starch, propylene glycol, and water... Why pay more than the cost of raw materials? Roll your own
    Go out and ride your bike

mtbr member
    I've read a lot of the home brew thread and there's a ton of info to digest. How has your home sealant work to date? If you're happy with it, I'll give it a try next time.

I checked the Revo bottle and there's no mention of ingredients and as you mentioned in the other thread, it states "do not use CO2".

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Pro Bike Supply seems to like it. I may give it a shot since it works down to a temp lower than I really want to be riding (below zero).

If you haven't tried the new Continental RevoSealant we highly recommend it for use with any tire. It coats the inside of the tire much better than Stan's and doesn't clump up into Stanimals. This is our go to sealant in the shop now and if you aren't satisfied with it we will exchange it for Stan's at no charge. Great stuff!
    Continental RevoSealant Tire Sealant - Pro Bike Supply
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have been very impressed with the new Revo Sealant. My new favorite. I left a couple ounces in a tire that came off my bike and a week later it had dryed and looked and felt like silly putty. It was nothing like I have ever seen in 10 years of working with Slime, Stans, Tufo, Caffe Latex, and WTB sealants. I'm sold. I should try to post up a pic of the stuff...

This photo is after the tire had been off the bike for one week. No Stans monsters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New tire sealant from Continental, Revo Sealant-wp_000042.jpg  

Last edited by OMZ; 12-03-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Committed
    I used Revo all summer, hands down better than Stans. Better at sealing punctures and does not dry out as fast. Also compatable with all tires, no rubber rot issues.
    Been doing the tubless thing for years, love the Revo!

mtbr member
    Did you guys use it with tires not from continental?

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've used it in all kinds of tires. The one pictured is a Maxxis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OMZ View Post
    I've used it in all kinds of tires. The one pictured is a Maxxis.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Also available from the big stores:
    Jenson USA
    Price Point
    Bob's Bicycles

mtbr member
    Does this stuff seal bigger holes as well as Slime Pro? Stans eventually will seal 1/8" cuts, but it weeps a while and fizzles.

IllumaDucati
    After using Slime tubes for many years, yesterday I installed two ounces of Continental Revo sealant in four Geax Ultralite inner tubes, which I installed in the Continental Race King Supersonic 26 x 2.2 tires on one bike and the brand-new Continental Speed King II RaceSport 26 x 2.2 tires on another bike. (Both of these bikes are full-rigid 18-pound Klein mountain bikes with Trigon carbon forks.)

So far the only difference I've noticed is what you'd expect from lighter weight. Since there are so many thorns where I ride, the long-term results will be interesting and I'll post an update when there's some news.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've been using it for about four months and it hasn't created any boogers for me, which is reason enough to use it over Stan's. It does slowly get thicker over time, so you need to add more. It seals about the same as Stan's. It's fine with sealing the tread and bead, but not very effective at sealing the small sidewall punctures that I often get with my non-tubeless tires. I also started a thread on Revo a few months ago, but it must have been too new to get much response. The Revo is good, but I'm going to try the Orange Seal next to see if it really does work better on sidewalls like their advertisement shows.

mtbr member
    I've had the same experience as TTTurner but with no sidewall punctures to date. One thing I've noticed this summer, I've had to "top off" more frequently than last winter.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    I got a new Spec. fast track a few weeks ago and gave the Revo Sealant a try. I got a flat over the weekend and just got around to checking on it. I cant find any holes so I broke one bead to see inside. The tire was all covered in dried up sealant. I just put the second half of the bottle in the tire and reset the bead. So I will see what happens next.

IllumaDucati
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadsters View Post
    After using Slime tubes for many years, yesterday I installed two ounces of Continental Revo sealant in four Geax Ultralite inner tubes, which I installed in the Continental Race King Supersonic 26 x 2.2 tires on one bike and the brand-new Continental Speed King II RaceSport 26 x 2.2 tires on another bike. (Both of these bikes are full-rigid 18-pound Klein mountain bikes with Trigon carbon forks.)

So far the only difference I've noticed is what you'd expect from lighter weight. Since there are so many thorns where I ride, the long-term results will be interesting and I'll post an update when there's some news.
    It's been almost six months now, and I haven't had a single puncture. On the occasions where I've pulled a thorn out, the Revo sealed the tube within a couple of seconds.

By the way, according to my scale, Revo weighs 33 grams per ounce.

mtbr member
    Using it in my front now (Nobby Nic TLR). Lost 10psi first 24 hours, and none afterwards.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Revo never did seal the small pin-holes on the sidewalls very well on my WTB 2.3 Bronson Race (non-tubeless) tires. It is nice that is doesn't create boogers though. Surprisingly, I put an ounce of Orange Seal in an always leaking front tire that had Revo for several months with several ineffective recharges along the way. I don't know if they are even compatible, but it sealed it up immediately. I pulled a huge clump of very large cactus thorns out of that same front tire yesterday and it didn't even leak. It's too early to tell, but Orange Seal may be the real deal. I'll report back on Orange when I get a large sidewall cut.
    Last edited by TTTURNER; 02-05-2014 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    Revo never did seal the small pin-holes on the sidewalls very well on my WTB 2.3 Bronson Race (non-tubeless) tires. It is nice that is doesn't create boogers though. Surprisingly, I put an ounce of Orange Seal in an always leaking front tire that had Revo for several months with several ineffective recharges along the way. I don't know if they are even compatible, but it sealed it up immediately. I pulled a huge clump of very large cactus thorns out of that same front tire yesterday and it didn't even leak. It's too early to tell, but Orange Seal may be the real deal. I'll report back on Orange when I get a large sidewall cut.
    I've run OrangeSeal for 8 months now. I got one puncture and it sealed up almost immediately.

It's downside is that it's expensive $12 for 8 oz. Maybe 1/2 Stans and 1/2 OrangeSeal if you change tires a lot.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I've run OrangeSeal for 8 months now. I got one puncture and it sealed up almost immediately.

It's downside is that it's expensive $12 for 8 oz. Maybe 1/2 Stans and 1/2 OrangeSeal if you change tires a lot.
    Revo is not much cheaper, $10 for 8 oz. Good for two tires without refills.