mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New Tire or New Riding Style, Technique

Recently just got a new 29er. It is superlight, carbon and 6 lbs lighter than my last bike. I've noticed that due to the change in weight, I've not only been bounced around more by the trail but I'm also losing rear traction towards the tops of steep climbs, especially when I have to stand on the pedals, more. I'm running Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25's.

Do I need a grippier rear tire, less tire pressure (running at about 35psi), better technique, none of the above or some combination of the above? I'd like to get it solved as I took a decent spill last night because I stalled out suddenly due to losing traction at the very steepest part of a climb.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by psuambassador View Post
    Recently just got a new 29er. It is superlight, carbon and 6 lbs lighter than my last bike. I've noticed that due to the change in weight, I've not only been bounced around more by the trail but I'm also losing rear traction towards the tops of steep climbs, especially when I have to stand on the pedals, more. I'm running Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25's.

Do I need a grippier rear tire, less tire pressure (running at about 35psi), better technique, none of the above or some combination of the above? I'd like to get it solved as I took a decent spill last night because I stalled out suddenly due to losing traction at the very steepest part of a climb.

Thoughts?
    Reducing the tire pressure a bit might help. Try it, you got nothing to loose..

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by psuambassador View Post

Thoughts?
    35psi is high. I run the RaRa 2.25 at 22-25psi with tubes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm thinking it's not the change in weight, but more the differences in the geometry and/or suspension of the bikes that's causing the problems. My guess is less pressure and a change in riding technique will help you stay planted on the trails.

dwt
    mtbr member

I've been riding a TBc since April: Ro Ro's front and rear, tubeless @ 28 & 30 psi. Bike is sub 26lbs. There is definitely an "adjustment curve" moving to wagon wheels: cornering, flowing thru tight singletrack, throwing the bike around, and climbing. I'm still in adjustment mode. Riding my 5" travel 650b @ 29 lbs. is definitely different in all respects, with travel, bike weight, and wheel size all contributing to that in some degree or another. If it wasn't raining here so much this summer, I'd have enough saddle time to figure 4" travel 29er out more completely. Just keep riding is my game plan.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.