Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

New Timberwolf 2.7 tire.

Just mounted it. The tire that is.
    Fits fine on my zokes xc fork. Haven't had time to ride it yet. The reviews for the 2.5 seem good. The 2.7 should be great for our local desert riding. Might even try one in back. Bought the kevlar model which is suppose to weigh around 950 grams. Any others with experience with this tire? What pressures are you running?

Live to Ride,Ride to live
    i live in vermont and im riding it in the winter and im running 44psi.....i love it, it grips everything
    Live to RIDE...RIDE to live
    [SIZE=4]Check it Out!-->[/SIZE] http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/bikerboy232 <--Check it out!
    [SIZE=4][SIZE=5]FREE SPONSORS[/SIZE][/SIZE] --> [SIZE=4]SPONSORHOUSE[/SIZE]

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy232
    i live in vermont and im riding it in the winter and im running 44psi.....i love it, it grips everything
    Why so high? I do not even use 44psi in a 1.8" tire.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

ride hard take risks
    Depends on the type of riding your doing & the conditions, 24-32psi

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy232
    i like 44 psi too in my tires...helps prevent burps in stan's

2.7, sounds like a monster tire...get a chance to use a great word, girth
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    44psi in a 2.7 tire (in the winter too) sounds just strange to me. I run ~20psi in my front Nev 2.5 in the winter, seems to give much more consistant grip than 30ish psi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    44psi in a 2.7 tire (in the winter too) sounds just strange to me. I run ~20psi in my front Nev 2.5 in the winter, seems to give much more consistant grip than 30ish psi.

shoot, 20 psi and my rims would be taco'd within 3 miles
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    Ok i'm going to make the dumbass coment, put a fork on the front. Go ahead adamante pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You mean we're not in the same "weight class"? I'm ~160lbs with gear...

Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Ok i'm going to make the dumbass coment, put a fork on the front. Go ahead adamante pull the trigger.
    If you do not have a fork on the front you do not (can not) use a front wheel!
    mtbtires.com

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    If you do not have a fork on the front you do not (can not) use a front wheel!
    Aw who needs a fork, got skilz

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc

agreed. i can't imagine using psi that high, even in the anrrowest tires i run that are ~ 2.35 or so. about the highest i ever get is 30psi, usually in the mid-high 20s.

i'm wanting to check this tire out, but in the 2.5 version. just have a huge stack of other new tires to burn through before i can justify buying more......
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i'm sorry guys but i was laughing out loud in my office here eating lunch...please tell me where i can ride with my tires at 20 psi other than the beach....

(of course... question is hypothetical or rhetorical)

ride hard take risks
    I run a 2.35 HighRoller out back at 26-28 & a 2.5 TimberWolf up front at 26-27psi at Downieville, NorthStar & all the local nor cal trails. My back yard pump track i'll drop down to 24-26 f&r no problem. We gots to run what we feel comfortable on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

It's all about the casing

i'm sorry guys but i was laughing out loud in my office here eating lunch...please tell me where i can ride with my tires at 20 psi other than the beach....

If you run tires with a "true" downhill casing (not the sub 1000gm version of the 2.7 Timberwolf,) you can actually ride them at really low pressures. The 2 or 4 ply sidewalls are so thick that they hold their shape with very little air. With wide sturdy rims and wire beads, they don't roll off of the rim in corners either. For example, an Intense DH tire. Of course, they also weigh 1300-1500 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227
    i wonder how much pressure u would need to run in the race ver. cuz of its thin sidewalls
    We have been talking about the Race version. Based on other WTB tires I would not run more than 25psi in most conditions.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBri
    If you run tires with a "true" downhill casing (not the sub 1000gm version of the 2.7 Timberwolf,) you can actually ride them at really low pressures. The 2 or 4 ply sidewalls are so thick that they hold their shape with very little air. With wide sturdy rims and wire beads, they don't roll off of the rim in corners either. For example, an Intense DH tire. Of course, they also weigh 1300-1500 grams.
    It is not all about the casing. It is also about volume. For the same volume you can run lower pressures with a DH casing than an XC casing.

With a Gazzaloddi 2.6 on rocky terrain I still use less than 25psi. I use ~30 in a Kenda Blue Groove 2.50 XC in the same conditions and it is slightly lower volume.
    mtbtires.com

SamIAm
    i wonder how much pressure u would need to run in the race ver. cuz of its thin sidewalls
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

ride hard take risks
    Ya what he said

mtbr member

I've used 15 psi in a Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 on some very rocky trails with no problems whatsoever and this tire doesn't even have a downhill casing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

True, also a factor

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    It is not all about the casing. It is also about volume. For the same volume you can run lower pressures with a DH casing than an XC casing.
    I realize that there are tire volume, thickness, manufacturing, and tread variations out there, plus bike setup and terrain variations that all play into the least pressure that you can get away with.

The volume factor is intuitively obvious, but was not mentioned since comparison was not the focus of the issue that I was addressing. I was just responding to the original comment that the idea of running pressures that low was laughable. It is entirely possible with downhill casings, and you might even be able to go lower with the right suspension.

I believe that when talking about an otherwise apples to apples scenario of bike and riding conditions (including same tire model and size,) the sturdiness of the tire casing is the overriding factor in determining what air pressure can be run safely for a given tire model.

Within a reasonable range of tire size (not 1.9 vs. 2.7), I think volume is less important than casing thickness when determining how low of a pressure that you can safely pull off while avoiding pinch flats and sidewall roll . How much less important of a factor volume is, is hard to quantify. Maybe someone can speculate. For our purposes though, I'm ass-uming (DOH!) that we're not comparing totally different sizes.

I agree that volume has some significance (especially for comparisons,) but as for what generally allows you to run 20psi or less in hard charging conditions, I believe that the casing has a lot more significance than the air volume. I could be wrong, so I'm open to hearing other thoughts on this. Based on my experience with light casings, thick casings, and what I've picked up reading reviews, I'd assume that cornering hard at speed on a 2.5 or 2.7 large volume tire with xc-ish casings at DH pressures is bordering on scary. Wouldn't you feel the sidewalls collapsing and stability loss, especially if you have narrow rims? Blasting through rock gardens at high speed would almost surely harm your rims with that same setup. That's just my take given my wretched experience with light casings and wheels vs. heavier duty setups at fairly low pressures. I'd love to hear some more real world examples of tire model/size/pressure/terrain that people have been using with the newer generation of light casing, high volume tires. Not the best example of light casing, but for instance, I'm surprised to hear that you can run a FIRE FR 2.4 at 15 psi. Then again, I've been using mine on a hardtail ;-)

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by grawbass
    I've used 15 psi in a Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 on some very rocky trails with no problems whatsoever and this tire doesn't even have a downhill casing.
    huh? I weigh 145lbs, run the FR's on a six inch travel bike with F219 rims and HD 2.35 tubes.
    If I run less than 25lbs of air I will pinch flat on rocky trails. I know this because it happens regularly. Are you talking about riding uphill? Or maybe the front tire only?

Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    huh? I weigh 145lbs, run the FR's on a six inch travel bike with F219 rims and HD 2.35 tubes.
    If I run less than 25lbs of air I will pinch flat on rocky trails. I know this because it happens regularly. Are you talking about riding uphill? Or maybe the front tire only?

might be doable, depending on his trails. i run one of those on the front of both bikes frequently. i've had it in the low 20's up there without problems. on the back is a different story though......i'd love that tire even more if it came with a slightly thicker casing.

so far?

alot back east around boston/new england, with its rooty and rocky stuff.
    different trails all over the state of colorado. plenty of trips to moab.

i flat, but fairly rarely. and it's about a 50/50 mix of puncture/pinch.

unless my and all the other floor pumps i've used are way off. my norm is roughly 25-30psi. granted, that's with pretty large volume tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

2.7 tire

I just mounted the 2.7 steel beed on my ellsoworth moment. HEAVY but i love it. I put the 2.5 on the back and the side knobs really like to tear off.
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    Just mounted it. The tire that is.
    Fits fine on my zokes xc fork. Haven't had time to ride it yet. The reviews for the 2.5 seem good. The 2.7 should be great for our local desert riding. Might even try one in back. Bought the kevlar model which is suppose to weigh around 950 grams. Any others with experience with this tire? What pressures are you running?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast