mtbr member
    Dec 2010

New Spokes Vs New Wheelset

The wheelset that came on my 26" mtb have DT Swiss rims and Shimano hubs. I now have about 160 hours on the bike. All went well with zero problems but suddently I am breaking a spoke every few rides, most often on the rear wheel. Too many trips to the LBS.

I know just about zero about wheels so the following questions may sound just a tad dumber than dumb.

Since the rims and hubs of my wheels seem okay, should I simply have all the spokes of both replaced and keep on trucking? Have not gotten a price on having that done, but if it is much I'm thinking I might be better off investing the money in new wheels.

A local wheel guy has quoted $600-700 depending on components for a new wheelset and that includes truing for life. He mentioned using Hope hubs.

He also mentioned a considerable reduction in weight compared to my old wheels but that's of little importance to me. I don't mind shedding a few ounces, but far more important are durability, reliability and longevity.

So my questions are.

New spokes on old wheelset or new wheelset?

If I go with new wheelset what components should I specify and what would be a reasonable price?

I weigh 200 pounds and am into general trail riding with no jumping or racing so I am fairly gentle on equipment..

Any and all advice will be appreciated
    Last edited by stumpbumper; 07-30-2012 at 05:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    any interest in going tubeless? If so... Stan's Arch EX is a good candidate for hoops.

a nice website to "shop" is CUSTOM HAND BUILT BICYCLE WHEELS Built By Professionals - Prowheelbuider.com to get an idea for options and prices....

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    No, I plan to stay with tubes.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    use that website anyway... you don't have to buy from them.... , like I said earlier, to get an idea of prices and options..... use their "custom wheel program" link, as they factor your weight and type of riding to qualify what options are best suited for you. then you can go to the LBS and talk more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Oh, I now understand what you meant. Except I know nothing about which components to choose such as Stan's versus DT Swiss rims, which spokes, which hubs, etc. Whatever the combination might be, if I go with a new wheelset I want something that's pretty much bulletproof.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Well, you could swap the spokes, but in the end it may be easier to go with a new wheelset. If you wanted something bullet proof, you could always go with Chris King ISO hubs laced to Stans Flow rims. This would be plenty stiff for your weight, and the overall weight of the wheelset would still be relatively light.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    use that website anyway... you don't have to buy from them.... , like I said earlier, to get an idea of prices and options..... use their "custom wheel program" link, as they factor your weight and type of riding to qualify what options are best suited for you. then you can go to the LBS and talk more.
    Without really knowing which brand or model of component to choose, I just picked something and "built" a wheelset on the website you recommended (see below).. Added up to $700.64 price and weight of 2258 grams. I picked Mavic rims only because I have Ksyrium SL wheelset on my road bike and never a problem. Of course, the road is easier on wheels than roots and rocks of trails and another brand might be better there..

Thanks for you help. Looks like the price the builder quoted me is in line.

FRONT WHEEL SUMMARY

Drillings

Rim
    MAVIC EX 729 DISC BLACK FRONT RIM $99.00
    26in
    Velox for 1 wheel + $4.00

Hub
    HOPE PRO 2 EVO DISC BLUE FRONT HUB $107.00
    *QR 100mm
    *No Bearing Upgrade
    Hope Black Stainless Single + $24.00

Spokes
    DT SWISS CHAMPION 14 GAUGE BLACK SPOKES $1.17

Lacing Pattern
    Four Cross

Nipples
    DT SWISS BLACK 14G 12MM BRASS NIPPLE $0.20

Weight
    1181.48 grams

Price
    $283.32

REAR WHEEL SUMMARY

Drillings

Rim
    MAVIC XM 719 DISC BLACK REAR RIM $84.00
    26in
    Velox for 1 wheel + $4.00

Hub
    HOPE PRO 2 EVO DISC BLUE REAR HUB $256.00
    *QR 135mm
    *Shimano/SRAM 8,9 or 10spd
    *No Bearing Upgrade
    Hope Black Stainless Single + $24.00

Spokes
    DT SWISS CHAMPION 14 GAUGE BLACK SPOKES $1.17

Lacing Pattern
    Four Cross

Nipples
    DT SWISS BLACK 14G 12MM BRASS NIPPLE $0.20

Weight
    1076.48 grams

Price
    $417.32

Total Price: $700.64
    Total Weight: 2,257.96 grams

Order Notes

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    Well, you could swap the spokes, but in the end it may be easier to go with a new wheelset. If you wanted something bullet proof, you could always go with Chris King ISO hubs laced to Stans Flow rims. This would be plenty stiff for your weight, and the overall weight of the wheelset would still be relatively light.

Thanks.

The builder told me CK hubs are the very best but Hope was quite close in quality and durability and considerably less expensive. What is your opinion of Hope?

And how would you rate Mavic rims versus Stans Flow? As I mentioned above, Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels on on my road bike have been totally bulletproof, but trails are much more brutal n wheels than paved roads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have Mavic Ksyrium Elite on my road bike... The Ksyrium SL/Elite share a similar rim construction to the CrossMax (minus the UST bead found on mountain bikes), which makes them strong due to the "Fore Drilling"

Anyway... the Flows would be a stronger wheel with its "bridge" construction in its cross section compared to the XM 719 cross section. The Stan's rims, you don't have to run tubeless anyway... their "BST" would actually allow for greater tire volume than rated.

See rims - mountain bike - Mavic for rim info and pics of their cross sections.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You guys have convinced me. I'll go with Stans Flow rims.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    @stumpbumper- I haven't built with any of the Hope hubs, but I have heard nothing but good things as well. I like the CKs though because of the easy preload adjustment and the sound of the drive ring.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    your builder's hub recommendation is sound, Hope hubs are excellent. His quote seems fair.

I think any wheel built well with quality parts will be reliable and strong. I'm a fan of Mavic, but if you go with a rim in the same tier from a reputable brand it's usually all about the build.

I just built a set using hope hubs from chain reaction cycles (great prices), DT db spokes & nipples. I owned the rims already but at retail I would have spent roughly $225, so about $550 on the parts alone.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin