Thread: New Rear Hub

mtbr member

New Rear Hub

I'm looking to get a new rear hub for my stumpy fsr. The current (stock) hub seems to be deteriorating fast; the freehub body is bent and getting worse.

I have a ~$200 budget. The DT Swiss 350 caught my eye. Reviews say its durable and it has pretty good points of engagement. The Sun Ringle Dirty Flea seems to be a good option as well. I was looking at Hope for a while, but i got my hands on one and its way too loud.

My setup is 12x142mm thru axel with 6 bolt rotor mount. What are your guys' suggestions?

mtbr member
    Your line of thinking regarding the DT 350 is spot on - a great hub for the price.

The hope pro II evo is also an awesome deal, it weighs a bit less then the 350, and it is bombproof. I agree they are loudish - but I have never noticed it bugging me on bikes I have ridden that were equipped with hope.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm confused. Are you planning to buy a used hub and build it up on your old rim? Yourself? With the old spokes and nipples? Otherwise your budget is off by a bit.
    Get online and search for a whole wheel. Can be some good bargains to be found. Get what fits your budget and noise preference. Don't get hung up on grams and points of engagement, as whatever you get will be a massive improvement.

mtbr member
    Check your spoke count on the Stumpy FSR rear wheel, some models use a 36h rim for the rear. If you intend to reuse your rim, your hub choice might be limited. Also take into account that hubs such as the DT and Hope use an aluminum freehub body so you might have to factor in the cost of a XT level cassette too. And finally, do you need a 135mm or a 142mm spaced rear hub. Depending on the year your FSR might use a 142mm x 12mm rear hub (2012 and newer).
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    No I'm not buying a used hub but yes I'm building it with my existing rim and spokes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    And finally, do you need a 135mm or a 142mm spaced rear hub. Depending on the year your FSR might use a 142mm x 12mm rear hub (2012 and newer).
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysupreme View Post
    My setup is 12x142mm thru axel with 6 bolt rotor mount. What are your guys' suggestions?
    Doh!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Check your spoke count on the Stumpy FSR rear wheel, some models use a 36h rim for the rear. If you intend to reuse your rim, your hub choice might be limited. Also take into account that hubs such as the DT and Hope use an aluminum freehub body so you might have to factor in the cost of a XT level cassette too. And finally, do you need a 135mm or a 142mm spaced rear hub. Depending on the year your FSR might use a 142mm x 12mm rear hub (2012 and newer).
    I have a 12x142 thru axel with 32 hole rim, which the hubs I mentioned are compatible with. But why would I need to do a cassette upgrade? The only thing I can think of is I might have to get different length spokes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Or you could just buy this wheelset for way under your budget and still see a nice upgrade:
    New 2012 Sun Ringle Inferno 25 Rims with Formula Hubs Wheelset 29" 29er 15mm | eBay

mtbr member
    No I'm not buying a used hub but yes I'm building it with my existing rim and spokes.

Hub flange diameters vary so a different hub will likely require different sized spokes, and you really should use new spokes anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Or you could just buy this wheelset for way under your budget and still see a nice upgrade:
    New 2012 Sun Ringle Inferno 25 Rims with Formula Hubs Wheelset 29" 29er 15mm | eBay
    $240 is not way under my budget. I have a 26er anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Reusing spokes is a really bad idea.

mtbr member
    So back to the original question. Does anyone have any other hub suggestions?

mtbr member
    I have a 12x142 thru axel with 32 hole rim, which the hubs I mentioned are compatible with. But why would I need to do a cassette upgrade? The only thing I can think of is I might have to get different length spokes.
    If your cassette is a lower level cassette that has individual cogs riveted together then they will dig into the softer alloy freehub body found on many high end hubs. This makes removing the cassette a challenge and may necessitate replacing the freehub body at some point. Higher end cassettes use a aluminum spider on the largest cogs (which do the most damage) to prevent this issue.

As mentioned by others, it is very likely you will need new spokes too as the length can vary from one hub manufacturer to another.

Here is a hub and spoke source that might fit into your $200 budget. The MTB252 rear hub has gotten some good reviews from reliable and knowledgable MTBR members. It is a 6 pawl, 48 poe hub for $85.
    MTB252 Rear Disc Hub - 12mm Thru Axle

You can then pick up a new set of Sapim Race spokes and nipples in the correct size and rebuild the wheel.
    Sapim Race
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    As much as I do like BHS, danscomp sells those spokes for half the price, including nipples and free shipping (theres always a free ship coupon).

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Imight be overkill, but another hub ro consider is the Shimano Zee. Durable and I think they make a 142 thru axle version. And it's priced at around 70-70 dollars.

There's also Hadley, which is a lot more money.