Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 156
  1. #1
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,997

    New Panaracer Rampage 2.35

    I received a set of the brand new Panaracer Rampage 26x2.35 tires a couple of weeks ago. I am very impressed!

    This is the best Panaracer I have used since the Dart 2.2 SC and one of the best tires I have ever used.

    Big, grippy, fairly light, grippy, very controllable and did I mention grippy?

    pana_ram_3_sm.jpg
    pana_ram_5_sm.jpg
    The cornering is fabulous. I have yet to find its limits and I have been trying. I have only had it slip out on a fast gravel descent and even that was easy to recover. The transition from center to edge is very smooth with no traction loss getting there. It there is any downside to that it is you do not have much feedback as to what is happening but you do not get that from a slick on pavement either.

    A 29x2.35 version is due soon, too. I can hardly wait

    Full specs are now up on my tire site.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    119
    Where can you get them? I don't seem them on Panaracer's site. Do you think they will work on a smallish rim like the 4.1d?

  3. #3
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation: RED5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,029
    Hey, Kenda called they want their knob pattern back. (it is quite similiar)


    On a more serious not, those look schweet. Do they actually measure 2.35?? Whats the compound their using ZDG, ZDG Ultima???

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,997
    Not on their site yet. The Rampage is just getting in the distribution channels.

    I have been using them on rims the same width as the 4.1 and with pressures as low as 20psi on fairly rough and fast terrain.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,997
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Hey, Kenda called they want their knob pattern back. (it is quite similiar)


    On a more serious not, those look schweet. Do they actually measure 2.35?? Whats the compound their using ZDG, ZDG Ultima???
    But it works MUCH better. More stagger of the knobs and more aggressive edge blocks.

    Size specs are on my site. Compare them with the Neve 2.35.

    Do not know which compound they used.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    mmm
    Reputation: timehoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    953
    Shiggy,

    How would you compare them to Cinders? I know you've raved about them.

    Thanks,

  7. #7
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation: RED5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,029
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    But it works MUCH better. More stagger of the knobs and more aggressive edge blocks.

    Size specs are on my site. Compare them with the Neve 2.35.

    Do not know which compound they used.
    Just did the comparison, sorry about the stupid question didn't think you'd have it up so fast, pretty similiar, except for the slight weight difference.

    So far, I'm impressed.

  8. #8
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,997
    Quote Originally Posted by timehoc
    Shiggy,

    How would you compare them to Cinders? I know you've raved about them.

    Thanks,
    Comparable and better than the Cinder. The Cinder has a strange lag feel on turn-in entering corners. The Rampage has none. The Rampage feels more stable when really leaned over and railing a turn though I really had no complaint with the Cinder.

    The Rampage 2.35 is higher volume and lighter than the Cinder 2.25.

    The Cinder 2.25 feels a bit more firm-cushy, probably a function of the size/location of the tread blocks - tighter spacing. The Rampage is still plenty cushy, just different.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  9. #9
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,997
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    ...sorry about the stupid question didn't think you'd have it up so fast...
    I do not post "Full specs are now up on my tire site" until the specs are posted on the site.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  10. #10
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,997
    Quote Originally Posted by bigduddy
    Where can you get them?
    The word from Panaracer:
    Rampage will be available in August from our distributors. Shops could have them in August including mail order.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  11. #11
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,997
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Whats the compound their using ZDG, ZDG Ultima???
    The word from Panaracer:
    The compound is a tweaked version of ZSG that's 20% more durable than the ZSG we use on Cinder and still gives a nice, plush feel of a sticky compound standard rubber tire from Maxxis or Kenda.
    We do adjust the compound depending on the use of the tire, etc.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    119
    What's the rolling resistance like? I have to go over some paved roads to hit the trail....

  13. #13
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,997
    Quote Originally Posted by bigduddy
    What's the rolling resistance like? I have to go over some paved roads to hit the trail....
    Reasonable. They do not feel slow. It is a full knobby. I never worry about rolling resistance of a knobby tire on pavement. Traction on dirt is more important than being a bit slower on the asphalt.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    119
    I currently have Bontrager Jones XR tires on my hardtail. Its good for when I commute, but seems to really get loose on the Norcal dirt and gravel.

  15. #15
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,391
    If it weren't you Shiggy, I would doubt a lot just by looking at the tread. Those center knobs are seriously ramped, even more than a High Roller, good for rolling resistance but, don't they slip easily when climbing or is it a front specific tire?

    Also: any UST version to come?

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  16. #16
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    If it weren't you Shiggy, I would doubt a lot just by looking at the tread. Those center knobs are seriously ramped, even more than a High Roller, good for rolling resistance but, don't they slip easily when climbing or is it a front specific tire?

    Also: any UST version to come?
    Generally I am not a fan of ramped knobs. My "grippy" description is more about the directional stability and cornering traction than the drive/braking traction.

    When run in the "front" direction the rear tire can spin out when climbing though not as badly as I expected (and this was with a singlespeed on a gravel road). I think the notches in the ramps and the short bar between the center blocks increases the grip.

    When run in the "rear" direction the drive traction is no worse than any other tire. The braking traction is slightly reduced though, once again, not as much as I expected. Worse on loose/soft surfaces than firmer and hardpack.

    Still acts like a full knobby.

    UST? Jeff, care to comment?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  17. #17
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,391
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Generally I am not a fan of ramped knobs. My "grippy" description is more about the directional stability and cornering traction than the drive/braking traction.

    When run in the "front" direction the rear tire can spin out when climbing though not as badly as I expected (and this was with a singlespeed on a gravel road). I think the notches in the ramps and the short bar between the center blocks increases the grip.

    When run in the "rear" direction the drive traction is no worse than any other tire. The braking traction is slightly reduced though, once again, not as much as I expected. Worse on loose/soft surfaces than firmer and hardpack.

    Still acts like a full knobby.

    UST? Jeff, care to comment?
    Well, that tread, in UST form and the lower pressure I love, could grip well. As the tire compress, the intermediate knobs are not ramped and should help drive/brake traction... Damn, I hope there are no UST version for now, I haven't even used my Hutchinson Barracudas 2.3 UST yet!

    But Jeff, please tell me a UST version is in the works... I'm only using tubes in road tires now.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grawbass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    But it works MUCH better. More stagger of the knobs and more aggressive edge blocks.

    Size specs are on my site. Compare them with the Neve 2.35.

    Do not know which compound they used.
    I like the way they look. I like a tire with a nice gap between the main and edge knobs. The edge knobs look well supported also.

    I can't wait for the 29" version. I think it'll be an unreal front tire.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grawbass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Well, that tread, in UST form and the lower pressure I love, could grip well. As the tire compress, the intermediate knobs are not ramped and should help drive/brake traction... Damn, I hope there are no UST version for now, I haven't even used my Hutchinson Barracudas 2.3 UST yet!

    But Jeff, please tell me a UST version is in the works... I'm only using tubes in road tires now.
    Yes, at lower pressures the intermediate knobs definately help with drive/braking traction.

    I seem to remember reading an article by Continental years ago, that said at certain pressures, the intermediate knobs actually exerted more force on the ground than the center knobs. I found that odd but interesting.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,756
    ...wow, those look fantastic! I can't imagine those not being available in UST. A 2.1 or 2.2 version would be nice as well....


  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    144

    How do they compare the the 2.25 Mibro?

    There's a slight similarity between the center knobs of the Rampge and Mibro, although there's definitely differences between the side knobs.

    How does the ride compare with the Mibro? I've liked the 2.25 version as a front tire for dry/loose/rocky conditions thus far.

    Que?

  22. #22
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Que?
    There's a slight similarity between the center knobs of the Rampge and Mibro, although there's definitely differences between the side knobs.

    How does the ride compare with the Mibro? I've liked the 2.25 version as a front tire for dry/loose/rocky conditions thus far.

    Que?
    Totally different design than the Mibro. The Mibro tread is small and delicate compared to the Rampage. The IRC does corner very well.

    Another rider using nearly new Mibro 2.1s has been on most of the same rides I used the Rampage. His tires show wear, especially the the rear. The Rampages still look nearly new.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  23. #23
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,391
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ...wow, those look fantastic! I can't imagine those not being available in UST. A 2.1 or 2.2 version would be nice as well....
    But Panaracer has a very limited UST tire range... Jeff? I want a pair of the 2.35 in UST... please.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  24. #24
    Bikes!
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,838
    Those look great, hoping for a light UST version...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    144
    Excellent. Thanks. I've too noticed that the Mibros tend to wear quicker than I expected. I'll have to try the Rampage once my current stock of Mibros is depleted.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •