Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    banned
    There has been a test done with it at Interbike and was told to be "nothing special".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    There has been a test done with it at Interbike and was told to be "nothing special".
    What are you talking about? Which tire was "nothing special"? Give us a reference or a link.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Spanish rider
    I think that Panaracer Rampage is very similar to Kenda Nevegal, the only difference I see is the little mark on every knob an the profile; the rest is almost the same.

Bye
    A pessimist is an experienced optimist

Displaying UGI Symptoms
    I agree it looks that way in the pics. I have never seen them in person. I am interested in trying to run them DIY Tubeless. I currently run Kenda's Tubleless even though it is a big no no. In theory the Rampage will NOT have those same "Tire Falling Apart" issues that the Kenda's reportedly have had.

Incredulous bastard
    I've bought 2 pairs of Kenda Navegals this year and have quickly torn side nobs off three of those tires. I want tires to wear down after 600 miles, not fall apart after 50 miles.

Based on the recommendation in this thread, I had a shop order a pair from BTI. Got them on Monday and have now done two 12ish mile rides on them. Typical central NY single track: some mud, lots of roots and a few rocks. I set the Rampage up just like my Kendas, with a high 48-50psi. Yeah, I hate pinch flats. And since I choose lines like I'm blind-folded, I get pinch flats when I try to run lower pressure.

Taking that into consideration, I found the following: They spin out on muddy climbs a little more than the Kendas and they don't velcro to roots like the Kendas. But, they seem to corner a lot better. No matter how hard or how low I corner'd with them, I couldn't get them to wash out. The Kendas did have a limit, I'm not sure I'm brave enough to find the limit on the Rampages.

I'll try running the pressure down to 42 or so and see if that's any better on the roots and muddy climbs. And so far I've only run the rear tire in the rear-forward position. That is, "Rear ------->," so tha the flat end of the middle knobs are diging into the ground and not the ramp ends. I'll try it the other way next time I pull the tire off for any reason.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by murphie
    I am interested in trying to run them DIY Tubeless. .

An earlier poster tried them and his results were discouraging to say the least -- albeit, he is a clyde.

Paper or plastic?
    Anybody with muddy condition update for the Rampage? I need a front tire to replace my WW 2.5LT.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

That's ok I'll walk it...
    I found in really wet conditions they did not grip well on logs and roots. They did great in dry loose stuff though.

Put my Nevegal 2.2 back on the rear and Blue Groove 2.35 up front and that setup worked much better in the traction area on the wet stuff.

MC MasterShake
    Avoid them in the wet. I sold mine after 2 rides because they were so bad in the wet. They were amazing in the dry stuff but as soon as I hit anything the least bit wet I slipped out. My previous tire was a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 DTC and even when it was almost bald it was twice as sticky as the Panny.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Anybody with muddy condition update for the Rampage? I need a front tire to replace my WW 2.5LT.
    Not great in the wet be almost anything will be better than a WW LT
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Not great in the wet be almost anything will be better than a WW LT
    No doubt! We don't have mud yet in the SF bay area. So far, I'm thinking a 2.2 Spe Resolution as a front tire for the hard tail or maybe the Enduro for this winter.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

No pain no gain
    Nov 2006

Feedback on Panaracer Rampage

Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    ordered a 2.35 Rampage from Webcyclery

went on a Mavic 3.1 UST rim with a bit of Stans and soapy water.

we'll see how it goes today on a ride

stoked!
    I just read all the old postings on the Panaracer Rampage. Because you mentioned "Flagline" trail in one of your post (2006), I am guessing you are from Bend (OR.). How do you like the rampage for climbing traction on rocky tearrain? I really like the Kwoll Butte ride, and want a tire with the Nevegal traction but less rolling resistance and more lifespan. Does the Rampage grip uphill, rocky climbs as well as a Nevegal?

What other tires in a 2.1 or 2.35 do you like for Bends twisty, dry single track but which really excel on uphill, loose, rocky terrain? Have you used the Maxxis Ignitor or Continental Gravity? Thanks for your feedback!

Bike Geek

2.1 ust

I have a 2.1 ust panaracer from the Dirt Rag booth at Sea Otter. I still have not mounted it, but I will report my ride info when I get the chance.
    RIP AL DAVIS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    that's funny
    when I hear or see "NOS" I think of 12AX7 preamp tubes..
    old telefunkens, mullards, etc..

I am a guitarist and an tube junkie

+1

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by bgfthntr
    +1

WOW!!!!!!

You resurrected a 3 year old thread for that.....thanks for the contribution.

Been running the 29 Rampage off an on for the last 2 years....been very happy with it.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    WOW!!!!!!

You resurrected a 3 year old thread for that.....thanks for the contribution.
    Ain't the internet great!? Just think, this thread might be read by people after we
    are long dead and gone.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So...I am thinking about the Rampage SC 2.3 tire for the front. How has it been going since everybody tried this tire a while ago? Still like them, still hate them, moved on?

Paste eater
    I have them on two bikes 26 and 29. Still like em. ALl of them are near the end of thier life. Not sure where i'm going next. It may very well be the Rpages again. THis is the first of the SC compound i've heard about. Very interested in feedback.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Never liked Panaracers especially the Rampage of old, slow rolling, poor in any kind of mud and rotates on the rim under braking ripping off to many Valves unless you run them rock solid.

Don't like there rubber, grip grip grip then totally fail and just slide out very unpredictable and the break out is very low.

I doubt the mk2's will be any better sadly.

didn't realise old thread, thought they looked unchanged, 29" version I tried on the front by the way, got 1 here still in the wrapper and 1 with maybe 100miles on it TOPS!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have two rides on this Rampage. It does well in semi loose to loose soil, but it appears to shed sticky mud poorly. My only comparison to it is my stock Exiwolf 2.3. I thought with the wider knob spacing it should shed of mud better especially on the side knobs.

On hardpack it rolls quite well. I did notice some high frequency vibrations while on the pavement. Is this something to do with the wide knob spacing?

IMHO, I am happy with it. Especially for the sub-$30 price I paid for it. I should have listened to Shiggy and opted for a different rear tire but I'm a cheapskate and a sucker for a bargain.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    shiggy, noting that this is a four-plus-year-old thread, I was wondering if you were still as keen on the Rampage 2.35 for 26-inch wheels as you were then.

Thanks in advance,

HP

Quote Originally Posted by hdparrish
    shiggy, noting that this is a four-plus-year-old thread, I was wondering if you were still as keen on the Rampage 2.35 for 26-inch wheels as you were then.

Thanks in advance,

HP
    Yes, still a very good tire. Plus there is now a SC, soft compound, version in 26". It does grip better on rock and roots, but also wears quicker.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    being wondering what do the markings on the rampage knobs meant? are they marked for knob cutting? searched the net but couldnt get any info about it. thanks in advance..!!

mtbr member
    Anyone running the Rampages on a HT 29er?
    --------------------------------
    2013 DiamondBack Mason

2011 Transition Bottlerocket
    Seattle, USA

New Panaracer Rampage 2.35

Quote Originally Posted by SideShowJohn View Post
    Anyone running the Rampages on a HT 29er?
    Yes. Hardtail, rigid, fully. All good.
    mtbtires.com

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast