Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    it rolled well, maybe a bit more resistance than my old worn down Geax Barro Marathon, but the treads are new and bigger. I have it mounted backwards so the ramp on the the center knobs faced backwards, and traction was good. Much better carving traction than the worn down Barro I was running.

I will say that pre-ride, it had lost some air since yesterdays inflation, but a few quick pumps before I left my car and it was good to go. I started with 37 psi (tire says 35-55 psi) and that seemed a bit low. Maybe a bit sluggish and during the ride it burped once, causing it to get a bit too soft and roll over in the corners. I raised the psi to around 40 and it rolled much better. I think that it will need higher psi to stay on the rim and roll correctly.

very happy with it so far. another ride tomorrow.

Thanx, your rolling these on the front or back?

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    BTI shows them out of stock too... But then, I have no access to the "Dealer" Area.
    BTI has them in now, I have some on the way from them. FYI, dealer section of their site is exactly the same except it shows pricing if you have a dealer login, so what you see accessing it as a consumer is accurate in terms of stock.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Still not in at Jensen. Anybody have any other leads?

mtbr member
    I started with 37 psi (tire says 35-55 psi) and that seemed a bit low. Maybe a bit sluggish and during the ride it burped once, causing it to get a bit too soft and roll over in the corners. I raised the psi to around 40 and it rolled much better. I think that it will need higher psi to stay on the rim and roll correctly.
    I can run my UST tires at 30psi. without any problem. I've never tried them lower. Low pressure is supposed to be one of the big advantages of tubeless. Thanks for the heads up. I have always been against DIY tubeless but I was toying with the idea of trying it. At least it crossed my mind. My Mavic XM819 are basically the same rims as yours and you're telling me that the tire burps at 37psi. No thank you! Put some tubes in man!

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    I can run my UST tires at 30psi. without any problem. I've never tried them lower. Low pressure is supposed to be one of the big advantages of tubeless. Thanks for the heads up. I have always been against DIY tubeless but I was toying with the idea of trying it. At least it crossed my mind. My Mavic XM819 are basically the same rims as yours and you're telling me that the tire burps at 37psi. No thank you! Put some tubes in man!

Ronnie.
    That does seem a little high in terms of PSI... maybe you need to let the stans set in a little longer?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    BTI has them in now, I have some on the way from them.
    You really know how to put people into temptation, Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    FYI, dealer section of their site is exactly the same except it shows pricing if you have a dealer login, so what you see accessing it as a consumer is accurate in terms of stock.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    Thanks for the explanation!
    Check my Site

Toby Wong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    Thanx, your rolling these on the front or back?
    running it in back

this morning the tire seems to have lost a bit of air, i didn't put a gauge on it, but it feels softer

will confirm when i ride this afternoon

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    That does seem a little high in terms of PSI... maybe you need to let the stans set in a little longer?
    Tap is not a small boy. Many riders report they need fairly high pressures with DIY tubeless to maintain sidewall stability.

With tubes and on narrower rims I have been running the Rampage at 22-28psi with good results. This is with both the 26 and 29 inch versions (I am ~180lbs).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Shiggy, if you only had 1 rampage would you run it front or back?

or, it's so good so you buy 2 rampage's?

Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Shiggy, if you only had 1 rampage would you run it front or back?

or, it's so good so you buy 2 rampage's?
    If you had 1, front. Recommend 2.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Thanks.

Toby Wong?
    Tap is not a small boy.
    'tis true. I'm 230 with gear. I like to think of it as "husky".

again, this is a Rampage 2.35 on a Mavic 819 tubeless.

update-

tire again lost pressure during the night.
    tire pinch flatted with 40 psi in it as I hammered through a rock garden.
    tire pinch flatted again with a tube in it (just as I said, "Hey, this tube in here doesn't feel that bad! ). probably wasn'tpump it up enough.

still, it runs well with a tube, but I don't ahve a pressure measurement right now.

I'd just avoid running the 2.35 tubeless, even with Stans. I probably should have gotten the 2.1. (What is the difference in true size b/t the 2.1 and the 2.35?)

oh well. i'll just run it with tubes for now. i think i'll replace the regular tube with a light one to save weight. maybe I should just stop drinking Black Butte Porter

(anyone know how solidly a regular Motoraptor 2.4 would sit on an tubeless 819?)

It's the axle
    Yikes!

You've got 95 pounds of "huskiness" that I don't have to climb with.

(This is the only forum I know where being 135 pounds is considered desireable.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Shiggy-Panaracer Rampage

Is the Rampage a single or dual ply or both? What dual ply tires are good for hard pack and loose rock but are not overly heavy. Size at least a 2.3 on up. I currently have Nevs 2.35 nonust and the Goatheads are killing me with the flats constantly. Any cure? I live in Ausitn, Tx. where it is dry 75 to 85 percent of the time, yeh and HOT too. Lots of shale rock and hard pack. Lite Freeride but mostly hard trail riding type of riding I do.
    Thanks,
    M.C.tigre

"El Whatever"
    anyone know how solidly a regular Motoraptor 2.4 would sit on an tubeless 819?
    The Motoraptor 2.4 wire bead (cheapo, not Race version) has nice thick sidewalls and works good on a Mavic 221 I have, but with tubes. Mine measures a true 2.3" real.

Not the best cornering tyre on front, not the best rolling on the rear.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Tap, 40psi and you pinch flatted the Rampage? I am 210 with gear and run my Cinder between 36 and 40psi. I tried it at ~25psi once and had lots of issues but not a single pinch flat.

My current Cinder (rear only) is showing wear but I have a brand new backup waiting to go on. If the Rampage won't work for me, what other options are out there for a rear tire?

BTW, I have been running tubes and have to add air every 3 weeks or so. With all the problems DIY and true tubeless have, I won't be switching anytime soon.

Paste eater
    I have had a conti vertical 2.3 UST on the rear and a Maxxis Ignitor Lust 2.35 UST on the front (mavic 819 rims) all season with no problems -- not even a flat or air loss.

I hit a sharded piece of New England granite off cambered on my rear wheel the other day. It scraped the the down the side of the tire so badly it left a mark and shredded little pices of tire and I didn't flat or loose any air. That being said, Ive never run non UST tires on my UST rims. I was thinking of doing so with a 2.35 rampage... I wiegh significanlty less than tap at 175 lbs but he has me second guessing...

Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    Tap, 40psi and you pinch flatted the Rampage? I am 210 with gear and run my Cinder between 36 and 40psi. I tried it at ~25psi once and had lots of issues but not a single pinch flat.

My current Cinder (rear only) is showing wear but I have a brand new backup waiting to go on. If the Rampage won't work for me, what other options are out there for a rear tire?

BTW, I have been running tubes and have to add air every 3 weeks or so. With all the problems DIY and true tubeless have, I won't be switching anytime soon.
    I do not think Tap has found a rear tire that really works for him. Seems to go through all of them quickly.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    With all the problems DIY and true tubeless have, I won't be switching anytime soon.
    I concur with Jwind. There are no problems with true UST tubeless. I've been running Continental Vertical USTs on Mavic XM819 rims since February 2004 when I got my 5.5. I have never had a flat and I weigh about 220lbs. in my shorts. I inflate to about 30psi in the front and about 33psi in the back.

I've been thinking of getting a set of Maxxis Ignitor as I've seen a few good reviews. They look very similar to the Vertical but perhaps a bit bigger.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Paste eater
    Nah, Ignitors are almost exactly the same in every way -- possibly a little softer compound but that about all I can surmise. I'd like to hear others experince as i too really like the Conti's. Both are qute light as well, the conti claims to be lighter but the ignitor sure seems/feels/looks lighter.

mtbr member
    Nah, Ignitors are almost exactly the same in every way -- possibly a little softer compound but that about all I can surmise. I'd like to hear others experince as i too really like the Conti's. Both are qute light as well, the conti claims to be lighter but the ignitor sure seems/feels/looks lighter.
    Have you only ridden them in combination? As I said I've only used the Continentals. Have you ever tried Maxxis front and back? I'd sure like to know how they compare.

The Contis may well be lighter as they are claimed to be 2.3" and the Ignitor is supposed to be 2.35".

Ronnie.

Toby Wong?
    I do not think Tap has found a rear tire that really works for him. Seems to go through all of them quickly.
    this is true. Geax UST seem to hold up really well.

I should have tried the 2.1 UST Rampage. We did Flagline today and the 2.35 rocked, albeit with a tube.

what can I say...I hammer!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Have you only ridden them in combination? As I said I've only used the Continentals. Have you ever tried Maxxis front and back? I'd sure like to know how they compare.

The Contis may well be lighter as they are claimed to be 2.3" and the Ignitor is supposed to be 2.35".

Ronnie.
    If by combination you mean one of each then, yes, I currently have the Conti on the rear and the maxxis on the front. I might add that this is the ONLY way i've had these tires on my bike so I can't offer any contrasting opinions. I can say that a difference in size is indistinguishable with the naked eye and I haven't measure them -- i'd be very interested to see such measurements.

I think the Maxxis may be a bit softy/stickier. I find the conti to not quite soft enough to stick to wet (smooth) rocks as well as some other tires???? I'd like to try the maxxis in the back. all in all I really like these tires, the 'spikey' tread pattern grips and corners really well here in NE.

forest lurker
    Jun 2006
    I wonder when Panaracer will make the new tire visible on their website.

MC MasterShake
    How would you compare this to a Fat Albert 2.35 as a rear tire? My Kenda BG 2.35 still has life upfront so I'm looking for something to replace my Nevegal 2.35 on the back. The Nev worked well for me but the sidewalls were a bit too weak for my taste.

I ride an all mountain rig in the New England gnarl and I weigh 150.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast