Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    It's the axle
    I'll take any UST I can get.

As much as I would like a fatty, maybe the tread pattern makes up for it. Besides, the 2.1 weight is a plus.

I'm just dying to get my hands of some of these.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    As there have been several people, including myself who have expressed an interest in the Panaracer Rampage in a UST version, I thought that I'd post the following information from the UK based mountain bike forum "Bike Magic". It is from their report on Eurobike.

"The Rampage is all-new. The square blocked tyre, designed as an all-rounder for all conditions and all terrains, comes in 2.1in (with UST option) or a proper 2.35in."

Its a bit disappointing. It seems that some manufacturers shy away from making larger UST tires. The situation is the same with the Kenda Nevegal. They also only make it in a 2.1 UST version.

Ronnie.
    FYI Panaracer offers some different models in the UK that are not available in the US. A UST version of the TrailRaker has been offered in Britain for at least a year. Not offered here.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    As there have been several people, including myself who have expressed an interest in the Panaracer Rampage in a UST version, I thought that I'd post the following information from the UK based mountain bike forum "Bike Magic". It is from their report on Eurobike.

"The Rampage is all-new. The square blocked tyre, designed as an all-rounder for all conditions and all terrains, comes in 2.1in (with UST option) or a proper 2.35in."

Its a bit disappointing. It seems that some manufacturers shy away from making larger UST tires. The situation is the same with the Kenda Nevegal. They also only make it in a 2.1 UST version.

Ronnie.
    well then... maybe I'll just have to grab the 2.35 and run it with stans on my mav 819's.
    seriously, is the bead on the rampage strong enough to withstand this?

I should be studying...
    Thanks for the update Shiggs; looks like something I would throw on the front of my bike. How does it compare to a Kenda Nevegal 2.1? How much does it weigh?
    Formerly known as iceaxe

over researcher
    Well alright, a 2.1 non-UST will be offered. I just hope it get's offered in teh US soon. I hope it's tread life lasts longer than the 2.1 Nev non-UST. I've already lost significant climbing and braking traction in just 600 miles on mine. Maybe that's normal for the Nev, it doesn't seem like it should be though. Maybe I'm just riding more aggressively since switching from a hard tail to a squish bike.

Paste eater

over researcher
    What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? We already knew that from the very last sentence, HERE.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    FYI Panaracer offers some different models in the UK that are not available in the US. A UST version of the TrailRaker has been offered in Britain for at least a year. Not offered here.
    Who cares, if only they made a 2.35 UST, I'd buy it online in the UK from someone like Chain Reaction Cycles.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Paste eater
    I wasn't responding to you. Ice axe asked how much it weighed.

Paste eater
    panaracer 'endorses' stans FWIW. I'm gonna give the 'regular' 2.35 a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    I wasn't responding to you. Ice axe asked how much it weighed.
    It does avoid confusion if you actually reply to the post in question
    mtbtires.com

Paste eater
    I DID. I happened to respond using an older mac operating system which will not quote other posters...

househusband
    My pair of 26 x 2.35 Rampages arrived today, will take them out for a good ride on Sunday.

Is it so wrong to have a rubber (tyre) fetish..? Wife seems to understand, but then she does have two horses...

Single Speed Junkie

Sir Shiggy...

Shiggy.

In the process of building up a new frame and know that the rampage is wider than all previous 29er tires what is the width on this one to ensure that the frame will clear.

Any info on the new wtb 2.55 29er? Width?

Quote Originally Posted by crux
    Shiggy.

In the process of building up a new frame and know that the rampage is wider than all previous 29er tires what is the width on this one to ensure that the frame will clear.

Any info on the new wtb 2.55 29er? Width?
    Nope. I will not quote any dimensions until I personally measure the tire.
    mtbtires.com

over researcher
    I DID. I happened to respond using an older mac operating system which will not quote other posters...
    I guess you could copy the text you are responding to, and then physically type in the vB code yourself. It's not that difficult. See HERE.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Nope. I will not quote any dimensions until I personally measure the tire.
    Thought that you had a few sets to test. Thanks for being honest I'll wait longer.

Quote Originally Posted by crux
    Thought that you had a few sets to test. Thanks for being honest I'll wait longer.
    WTB has not seen me as "worthy" to receive any sample tires. The ones I have measured have come through other channels.
    mtbtires.com

Toby Wong?
    ordered a 2.35 Rampage from Webcyclery

went on a Mavic 3.1 UST rim with a bit of Stans and soapy water.

we'll see how it goes today on a ride

stoked!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix

stoked!
    PLease report back, as I'm going to try the VERY same thing.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix

stoked!
    They only have the Panaracer Fire Cross tire listed .o?

edit: in 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The biggest difference i noticed when changing form 2.35 Nevegal on the front and single ply 2.35 Minion on the rear was the rolling resistance - or the lack of it. I pre-ordered some of these (in UK) and received them last week.

I have only had three rides on them so far, but so far all the impressions aregood. Loads of grip on the turns and downhill and lack of rolling resistance going up. Even managed a stretch uphill in the big ring, not something I remember ever doing .
    Last edited by dreednya; 09-20-2006 at 12:58 PM.

mtbr member
    To dispel rumors and also hoping to encourage them to look at a larger UST tire, I sent the following mail to Panaracer:

"It is with much interest that I have been reading reviews about your new Rampage 2.35 tire. I would like to enquire if this tire will be available as a UST variation in a 2.35 size? It is not just the weight weenie racing types that want tubeless tires. I have been riding a competitor's 2.3 UST tire on the rocky and rooty trails of New Jersey for two and a half years and never had a flat."

I received the following reply:

"We will introduce a 2.1 UST Rampage at Interbike. A 2.35 is still
    being worked on."

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by madgeronimo
    Hi Shiggy,

In your opinion, would these tires be a good match for my Stumpy FSR? I do ride it All-Mountain style more than purely xc. And I'm on the East Coast here, so I'm dealing with quite a variety of terrain, from rocky babyhead territory to sandy and rooty to mud bogs after rain. Most places I ride tend to be smaller parks (compared to out West) that are pretty technical with lots of twisty turns and rolling land versus one big climb.

Currently, I'm on the Specialized Resolutions/Adrenalines that came with my Stumpy, and they actually do pretty okay for the places I ride, with the exception of sand. But they're showing some wear, and I'm wondering whether to get the same tires or get something new. I'm shying away from the Nevegal's because of what everyone's said about rolling resistance.

Anyway, any thoughts you may have would be appreciated.

Best,
    G
    Patapsco Buddy, My favorite front tires are Adrenaline 2.0 and Mutanoraptor 2.4 for most places I ride. For baby heads in north NJ I like Adrenaline 2.2 - huge tire,a little slow rolling but you dont feel it while riding over big rocks. I prefer a light 2.0 tire for the rear like a Karma or Roll-x. A heavy, slow rolling big knob rear tire will spin out just as easy as a semi slick if you don't weight it properly or put too much air in it.

Selecting tires is like buying a saddle. The only way to tell If you like it is to buy it and try it. Just because other people like it, does not mean that you'll like it. If Shiggy says the best tire is xxx brand and you go out and buy it and find it's a terrible, it's not his fault. After all, it is the best tire for Shiggy. So you must become a tire whore and buy and try as many tires as you can until you find what's best for you. Right Shiggy?

Don

Toby Wong?
    PLease report back, as I'm going to try the VERY same thing.
    it rolled well, maybe a bit more resistance than my old worn down Geax Barro Marathon, but the treads are new and bigger. I have it mounted backwards so the ramp on the the center knobs faced backwards, and traction was good. Much better carving traction than the worn down Barro I was running.

I will say that pre-ride, it had lost some air since yesterdays inflation, but a few quick pumps before I left my car and it was good to go. I started with 37 psi (tire says 35-55 psi) and that seemed a bit low. Maybe a bit sluggish and during the ride it burped once, causing it to get a bit too soft and roll over in the corners. I raised the psi to around 40 and it rolled much better. I think that it will need higher psi to stay on the rim and roll correctly.

very happy with it so far. another ride tomorrow.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast