No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

New Flows and tire issues

I ride in Phoenix, which is an environment that's tough on tires.

I recently had a wheelset built for my Mojo HD3 trailbike. These were built by Dave Thomas at Speed Dream, who's been building wheels for me for years. This go-round, I chose new Flows laced to Project 321 hubs.

I've used Flows and Flow EXs successfully for years, but noted the new Flow is wider internally and very flat.

Running Minion DHF 2.5WT front and DHR II WR rear. Less than 1 mile into my first ride, but a hole through the tread block.

Swapped on a new Spec. Butcher Grid (new gription casing). This one lasted about 25 miles. Another hole in the tread block.

Now I've destroyed plenty of tires, but generally torn sidewalls. I've never put holes in tread blocks like this. These were on trails I've ridden hundreds of times. Tubeless, 180 pounds, 30 psi.

Anecdotal? Thoughts?
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

tacos al carbon
    Dec 2009

Tread blocks been shrinking past coupl'a years...

Tires keep getting lighter/less material...larger diameter wheels don't help with this lighter and wider trend these days

mtbr member
    This is something I would fix and then keep riding.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    That said, I have similar 30mm Raceface AR30 rims on my Nomad. These rims have a much more traditional profile. I've been running them for 10 months on a bike that sees much more abuse and not a single tire issue.

Again, could be totally anecdotal, but I've never had this type of tire issue. Curious if there's a parallel with these rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I ride in Phoenix, which is an environment that's tough on tires.

I recently had a wheelset built for my Mojo HD3 trailbike. These were built by Dave Thomas at Speed Dream, who's been building wheels for me for years. This go-round, I chose new Flows laced to Project 321 hubs.

I've used Flows and Flow EXs successfully for years, but noted the new Flow is wider internally and very flat.

Running Minion DHF 2.5WT front and DHR II WR rear. Less than 1 mile into my first ride, but a hole through the tread block.

Swapped on a new Spec. Butcher Grid (new gription casing). This one lasted about 25 miles. Another hole in the tread block.

Now I've destroyed plenty of tires, but generally torn sidewalls. I've never put holes in tread blocks like this. These were on trails I've ridden hundreds of times. Tubeless, 180 pounds, 30 psi.

Anecdotal? Thoughts?
    I would try lower PSI. Think the Flows are close the 29mm internal?

I use Derbys Rim PSI recommendation for PSI on my wide 30mm rims.

XC hard-pack/gravely: psi = ( 10% x [rider+bike in lbs] )
    AM (rocky and fast trail): psi = XC psi calculated + 2 - 4 psi
    DH park and DH race and eBike: psi = XC psi calculated + 8 psi

So you are looking at 26 to 27 for general AM riding.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thanks. I don't want to get into a pressure debate as riders' needs are so different. I can tell you for certain -- over years of experimenting -- that I'm fastest in Phoenix running roughly 24 front and 29-30 rear.

Those are the pressures I run on my Nomad, again 30mm internal rim and a DHR II exo tire. I've probably got 6-700 miles on that setup with no issues.

Could just be a run of bad luck, but was curious is the unusual shape of the new Flow rim might have something to do with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Your recent experience sounds like an annual affair for me - can go almost an entire season on rocky front range riding here in CO - and mark my words - will get 2-4 flats in 2-4 rides. Fix or replace tires and good to go... now there have been an occasion where i was likely remiss on my pressure but there really has been no real reason on trails i ride often... wrong rock wrong place wrong pressure all by a mm or single psi? when it happens - well - lets just say Im not reciting childrens book lines!

tacos al carbon
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Thanks. I don't want to get into a pressure debate as riders' needs are so different. I can tell you for certain -- over years of experimenting -- that I'm fastest in Phoenix running roughly 24 front and 29-30 rear.

Those are the pressures I run on my Nomad, again 30mm internal rim and a DHR II exo tire. I've probably got 6-700 miles on that setup with no issues.

Could just be a run of bad luck, but was curious is the unusual shape of the new Flow rim might have something to do with it.
    Oh, think I see what you're saying (the shallow rim profile, at least compared to the other rim...so basically an air volume difference is what you're referring to?), I have the stans but have not looked at the other rim profile....don't think there wouldbe too much there, at least air volume wise, more probably suspension type or travel difference or spikey shock

mtbpete
    Just bad luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I have flows - only popped the tread 1 time railing Natty under the towers but I was running 18 PSI on 2.6 purgatory. Last time i ran that low and no further issues. Are you using ExoGrid? That is the likely culprit. I have only seen 3 specialized grid failures in about 4 seasons. Now i'm on double down casing, but its heavy as crap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Also in PHX, I am semi-recently on wide rims, no difference in flatting-which means I got one ride in on an Aggressor followed by wearing one out, then back to DHF's where made it several months before I needed a plug.

So in short just shit luck.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Cool. Thanks for all the input. As I said, I've been on any number of wide rims of various brands, but the first time on the new Flows. Just curious to have two back-to-back tread punctures when they isn't the type of tire failure I generally experience.

Chalking it up to bad luck and pulling out the plugs.