mtbr member

New Downhill/FR rear tire: Minion DHR vs Nevagal 2.5 vs Intense EX DC DH

Looking for a new rear tire for my Delirium T and these three are all priced between $30-35 right now at pricepoint.

The Nev is the wire bead STICK-E, Intense is a dual compound folding bead but double ply and they are all 2.5" and around 1350 grams. I want a heavy-duty, dual ply tire that will hold up in the drops, steeps, and chunk.

I liked the 2.4 Ardent dual ply 3C that's been on there but they are twice as much and I was not impressed at all on how quickly it wore out.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Any votes for the 2.5 Kenda Excavator. It seems to get a lot of love as a front tire in the other thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    where are you riding?

a lot of people like Minions. and equal amount swear by Nevegals. Intense tires are pretty heavy, but i havent heard any reviews traction wise.

really it comes down to where you ride.

personally i've ridden Michelin's. been happy with them. but im switching to Maxxis just because of the range of treads and compounds they have available. with the selection they have, you pretty much have all conditions covered.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv
    where are you riding?
    SW USA. I live in Eastern Nevada and have some steep, rocky, droppy stuff locally, but I'm really setting it up for lots of slower, techy, square-edged, chunky stuff with drops of 2-8' and steep loose, rocky downs. Think Las Vegas Bootleg Canyon and Cowboy Trails. St. George UT, Moab, Phoenix South Mountain, Goat Camp, Tucson La Milagrosa, NorthStar at Tahoe, Mammoth.

It still has to climb quite a bit but I'm willing to give up some speed in the flats and climbs for a super burly, stable, sticky, pinch flat-proof tire in the chunk (that's not too expensive and wears pretty well too ).

mtbr member
    The minion DHR has the best traction of any rear tire I've used. I'm in rocky terrain as well in NM.

I like Monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW
    The minion DHR has the best traction of any rear tire I've used. I'm in rocky terrain as well in NM.
    +1, but I'm in Virginia but ride some really rocky stuff, stickiest thing for almost any conditions but really slow-rolling.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I just recently put a Kenda Telonix 2.4" (folding bead version weighs 1002g+/-) on the rear of my Reign and it had mad grip on the steep sections (at least the ones I ride on ).

I'm a big guy at 260lbs, so I run big meats for trail riding. I have it matched with a 2.5" wire bead Nevegal on the front. I've only had a couple rides on the Telonix and it was into an excessive 30 to 40mph headwind each time, so I can't accurately judge rolling resistance compared to tires like the Nevegal, but this thing grips like crazy. I paid $49 for it at the local shop.

They make a 2.35" 2-ply wire bead version at 1229g.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I just recently put a Kenda Telonix 2.4" (folding bead version weighs 1002g+/-) on the rear of my Reign and it had mad grip on the steep sections (at least the ones I ride on ).
    I've heard some good things about the Telonix as well. In fact I think we rode at least one bike at Interbike that had them on.... though I can't remember much about them. That 1K gr single ply 2.4 version is supposed to have some sort of extra layer/pinchflat shield (Iron Cap) that should beef up the strength without quite as much weight.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks. That may make a good mate to the 2.5 2-plySTICK-E Excavator up front.
    Last edited by KRob; 01-15-2009 at 12:00 AM.

locked - time out

Also try the Nevegal FR

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I've heard some good things about the Telonix as well. In fact I think we rode at least one bike at Interbike that had them on.... though I can't remember much about them. That 1K gr single ply 2.4 version is supposed to have some sort of extra layer/pinchflat shield (Iron Cap) that should beef up the strength without quite as much weight.

I'll have to check that out. Thanks. That may make a good mate to the 2.5 2-plySTICK-E Excavator up front.
    Hi K-Rob -

You're right on the money. The 2.4 Telonix has Iron Cap built into the casing for more extreme conditions use. In short, most of the terrain Hans rides in. It makes a nice "FR-Lite" tire.

Also our Nevegal Freeride may be of interest to you. No CAP-Ply (our DH casing reinforcement option) in the tire, but it does have the Bead Inserts to ward off pinch flats.
    Deleting the CAP-Ply brings the tire weight down 1075 +/- 65g (approx).

Cheers,
    TCK