mtbr member
    Oct 2006

"NEW" Continental Trail King 26 x 2.4

Has anyone else noticed that on Conti's website

Continental Bicycle -*Rubber Queen /Trail King

there's a NEW 26 x 2.4 Trail King black chili/foldable (Article # 0100729) that weighs 80 grams less than the original and also has Protection and Apex? What did they do to lose 80 grams - shorter knobs (I hope not! Those tall knobs and sidewalls make my bike at least a "26.5er" and allow me to run 5 lb less pressure than Nevegal 26 x 2.35)? Narrower "2.4"? (That would be just wrong)! Or did the mass just come off the sidewall casing, and if so, will the Protection/Apex sidewall be just as tough as the original NON-ust 26 x 2.4 ? I sent this question to Continental's on-line "Customer Service" twice and never heard back.

mtbr member
    I think you should TOFTT and buy one - report back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    1. Not sure that any retailers are actually carrying them yet.

2. I'm hoping Continental "customer service" will get back to me Or at least find a rep that knows the answer or could find out the answer
    Or of course find somebody who has actually used these.

That said if I find a decent price on these I will get them and report back.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Is a Conti 2.4 much bigger than the Hans Dampf? I'm curious about the Conti tires but kind of leery about getting a 2.4 & it being much larger than I need. The TK looks good- does the Protection/APEX seal up tubeless easily (I'd read some have had issues, I think?). I set up tires as ghetto tl.

thanks!

mtbr member
    The 2.4 conti trail king I saw in Moab in the store (a UST) was huge. I think it was about 7" carcass width laid out. It was bigger than the 2.4 Ardent, and that's a good sized tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    don't know about Hans Dampf. But where'd you read about tubeless problems with Protection/Apex tires? Was it in mounting &/or sealant not sealing puncture ?

I'm with stupid
    the UST TK 2.4 is a fuzz taller then the hans but the same width at the edge of the knobs. Both were at 25 psi on a 25mm (inner) ust wheel. I hope they make it lighter my 2.4 UST ( the only one that sealed up Tubeless on the sidewalls) is a flat out anchor 1197 grams. The older BC trailkings that were not protection or apex that had the regualr bead and sidewalls are the ones that folks had issues seal because the BC sidewalls were very porous and took forever to seal up. The newer ones have fixed that issue but not sure what else they changed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    rshalit, I inquired with H2 (the US distributor for Conti) about these exact tires and they confirmed they aren't available yet here, and they pointed me to the 2.4 TK UST, which are super heavy as noted below

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks - much appreciated.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Any idea on when the TK 2.4 Protection version will be available in the US? I am assuming that the race to produce the 650B tires and the commitments with the 29er market are putting a lot of strain on the resources; that said, this tire was announced about a year ago and I've been waiting for it since. I'm currently running the 2.4 USTs and would love to drop a pound in tire weight.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Still not out in Europe either :-(

I gave up and bought the 2.2 racesport black chilli