mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New Continental tires for 2018

Looking forward to some reviews on them. Haven't seen a whole lot of press coverage on them yet but they appear to be heavily revised tread patterns.

Trail King looks good in a 27.5 x 2.6 @ 910g with protection and the black chile compound. Definitely seems to be some emphasis on rolling resistance. Der Baron looks good too.

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/09/26/continental/

Bike-discount.com is showing in stock on 3/12/18 for about $55/tire.

I'm with stupid
    the biggest question is on if they fixed the casing issues or not. the compound and the the tread pattern have been great for a while. Just going tubeless without UST was a issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Race king is the fastest round profile tire on the market. Where is the plus tire, where round profile tire shines.

Barely in control
    Yeah, they fixed the side knobs on the Trail King so they don't have those sections that look like they were deformed in the womb.

Not sure about the Mountain king. I understand the extra meat in the center but those side knobs don't inspire confidence.

Cross King, rather have a Barzo G+.

mtbr member
    My experience with all Continental tires has been bead separation, warped casing and knobbies pealing off!! I would not run them if they were free!

Continental Trail King UST Sidewall Failure

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    My experience with all Continental tires has been bead separation, warped casing and knobbies pealing off!! I would not run them if they were free!

Continental Trail King UST Sidewall Failure
    Yep. I won't put anything they make on my bikes OR my cars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Yep. I won't put anything they make on my bikes OR my cars.
    I agree, the black chili compound is really good for traction but always have had issues with leaking...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That was basically my experience too. Great compound and the ProTection casing was a good strength/weight for my local trails, but the bead issues scared me off. Hopefully they've got a handle on it.

I'm not really sure what to make of the new Mountain King, it looks like it could be a good rear tire but then they claim it's designed for clearing mud...

Mudhorse
    Dammit, now I'm going to have to audition tyres all over again - it's taken me years to find the setup I like. The new Mountain King (III?) looks like it might roll a bit faster without being more susceptible to mud clogging, and I'm keen to try out the new Race King as that's been my favourite summer rear tyre for a long time. Sadly I'm going to have to sack the Cross King (which was X King but I think Conti got fed up with customers pronouncing it wrong) as they've made the side knobs squarer and knobblier and I much prefer a round profile up front. Might have to defect to a Schwalbe Rocket Ron for that one, now that they've got a decent rubber compound with Addix.

I'm sensing there are very mixed feelings about Conti tyres in this neck of the woods. Was there a bad batch or something in the US? They're very popular in northern Europe and I'm not aware of any bead issues over here, in fact I find the beads mate perfectly with hooked rims. I've blown a few sidewalls on the RaceSport flavours, but that's the price you pay for the low weight of that variant. It wasn't so long ago that I could destroy a race-spec Schwalbe in 10 hours of riding, now a decent race spec tyre from Conti or Schwalbe will last me all season (albeit with a bit of stitching and patching on any sidewall gashes). I've never had to repair a ProTection sidewall, they just pick up a few scrapes along the way.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.