Rutland All Star

New Chris King Hub

I just had a new rear wheel built and went all crazy with it, buying a chris king hub and whatnot.

My friends that have older CK hubs, their wheel's have this nice loud clicking sound, a very sharp ratcheting type sound when the free hub is spinning.

The new wheel that I have, does not have this ratcheting clicking sound. It's more of a higher pitched whhhhrrrrrrr ing sound without the ratcheting click.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Frac View Post
    I just had a new rear wheel built and went all crazy with it, buying a chris king hub and whatnot.

My friends that have older CK hubs, their wheel's have this nice loud clicking sound, a very sharp ratcheting type sound when the free hub is spinning.

The new wheel that I have, does not have this ratcheting clicking sound. It's more of a higher pitched whhhhrrrrrrr ing sound without the ratcheting click.

Is this normal?

Thanks!
    Yes for a new CK hub. Give it time, It'l break in and sound the same. But CKs have never really clicked, they buzz. But it's all a matter for perception I guess.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Mine was almost silent when new but its gotten a bit louder. Apparently using 10wt. motor oil as the lube will maximize the volume. I'm going to do that soon.

My experience with the break in was pretty much exactly what people on here said it would be. 2 minor bearing preload adjustments in the first 50 miles and now its perfectly set.

Rutland All Star
    Cool, thanks for the info guys. That gives me better peace of mind. Can't wait to actually get out and ride this wheel. So far it's only been spun while I was adjusting my breaks. First ride on it is tonight.

WOOT!
    new stuff